Texas Revolving Thick Bar Challenge

dubthewonderscot

Ok guys I know this is short notice, but on October 11th, Eric Milfeld, Mike Potts, myself, and possibly 3 more gripboard members will decend upon my gym and participate in what we think is the first ever 3 way comparison of the -

Fat Bastard Barbell Company - 2.5 inch Crusher

Ironmind Rolling Thunder

and

Clay Edgin's revolving thickbar handle.

I'm sure there will be some steel bent, plates pinched, card torn, kettlebells swung, grippers closed, sledgehammers levered, some tire flipping, keg tossing, and if Eric is in town, some nice round back heavy deadliftin!

So come one, come all and participate. If you need a place to stay and drive back the next day, I have 2 extra rooms. I might even cook up some burgers if enough people want to come.

If anyone needs directions, please let me know.

You Austin boys should carpool and come up. Chris, you should skip studying and bring Alana. Rekx, come on up from houston if you get a chance!

Weldon

Awesome! So we have one guy traveling from Oklahoma, a confirmation of at least one, maybe 2 coming from Austin.

Chris, if you don't make it you're a sissy

I'll try to have a couple of my buddies on hand as well.

Fun times!

W

Chris, if you don't make it you're a sissy

I don't know what Chris's problem is. He seems to think marriage and studying more important than gripping. People and their priorities... I swear.

I'll be there for sure now, took a day off from work. Eric, can I stay at your house Monday night? If not, no biggie. I will bring my steel, clay's handle, ring handle, my homemade (if it gets made this weekend) kettlebell, my sledges, skillets, horseshoes, plate loadable INCH handles, grippers (T,1,2,filed 2), 2" thick bar, 2 3/8" thick bar, knurled farmers walk handles and.... should I bring any of the following: IM truck pull harness, 220 or 280 stones, 11" 200lb steel log, beer kegs?

I would love to try the stones and log if its not a hassle to bring them.

Mike, if you bring a log, the stones, and the truck pull harness, I just might name my first born after you! I've been wanting to mess with stones forever now! Please please bring all of that loot! SWEET!

Do you need directions? Also, if you need a place to crash, your welcome at my place.

I'll be there for sure now, took a day off from work.  Eric, can I stay at your house Monday night?  If not, no biggie.  I will bring my steel, clay's handle, ring handle, my homemade (if it gets made this weekend) kettlebell, my sledges, skillets, horseshoes, plate loadable INCH handles, grippers (T,1,2,filed 2), 2" thick bar, 2 3/8" thick bar, knurled farmers walk handles and....  should I bring any of the following: IM truck pull harness, 220 or 280 stones, 11" 200lb steel log, beer kegs?

Eric,

Could you please bring your 100 pound plates? We may have a farmers walk contest and it would be fun to go head to head.

Thanks!

W

Man what an awesome get together, I hope to have some vids and pics tonight or tomorrow. You guys won't believe it!!! Soem new guy, one of Weldon's friends was a monster , bending like crazyfor the first time and at 300lbs very intimidating!! He also causally closed the number 2 first time!!! P.S Weldon thanks for opening up your home and having us all there, your a very strong guy and have lots of talent. Eric thanks for being there and keeping EVERYTHING LEGIT !!! I have the utmost respect for this guy, as a gripper and as a bender!! Can't wait to get back up there!!

Matt,

Glad you made it up. I really appreciate you taking the time out to drive the distance 170 miles to get there. I was very impressed by everyone there giving great efforts. Everyone put on a show! The kettlebells were a blast. It was fun watching Big Mike toy around with various implements. 21 inch arms would be a fun thing to try out sometime. lol. Eric, well what can you say. My poor friend Preston was a little disheartened. He commented later, "man, I do workout, but it has nothing to do with the strength you guys were showing out there." I'm trying to convert him from the Chrome and Fern crowd. We'll see.

MikeP. Rekx. and Strongmitts. We missed you guys. We'll have to get together sometime and have the Texas Grip Championships.

W

Well, the Revolving Bar Contest evolved into the Let's Try This Contest. Unfortunately my Crusher has yet to arrive in the mail, and Mike Potts couldn't make the trip down with his Clay Edgin handle. But we all had a blast, nonetheless. Matt Chips (opnsysme), Weldon, his friend Preston, and a monster named Mike Christopher and myslelf competed grippers, Rolling Thunder, and a farmer's hold for time. We also bent, pinched stuff, and picked up all sorts of heavy implements. I know you're suppose to say what a great bunch of guys your fellow gripsters are when you meet up for these shindigs, but in this case it's more than true. I'm beginning to think that all who call gripping their hobby are simply outstanding people. Generous. Kind. Honest. Motivated. Strong in body and character. What was particularly neat about this gathering was the fact that we are all followers of the Lord Jesus Christ!

Here's a few highlights. Matt closed a #3 for MM0 certification! It took a few trys, but he persevered! Hopefully the video is good enough. Weldon continues to get very close with his #3, but it just wasn't meant to be on this night. I succeeded with a close of Weldon's filed #3 for the win in this event.

That monster I mentioned pulled 175 on his first ever try with the RT for the heaviest pull in this event. Yes, he has 21" inch arms, and more impressively he has 21" vascular arms! He's about a six foot, 290 pound strongman who performs seated presses with a cool 300 pounds. The surprise of the evening came when Weldon's not so monstrously huge friend, Preston, walked away with the win in the farmer's hold for time. He held the 1 1/2" smooth handles loaded with 215 pounds for 70 seconds.

Between events we did the important stuff - BENDING! :laugh I showed the guys the double overhand technique, and then they all quickly demonstrated for me the superiority of the reverse grip. That was funny! Actually, I think double overhand just takes a lot of practice to develop the proper feel. Monster Mike darn near finished off a grd 5 on what was essentially his first real go at bending! Weldon showed that actually training bending is only optional. :shifty How he can still take down 60 D's, I'll never know. Matt's a newbie to the world of bending, but shows a ton of promise, and already has very strong wrists. By the way, he's a darn good pincher too, having conquered his 45 pound blob. Also on his first go with the steel, Preston bent a 40D, and came close to finishing off a 60 D. Yours truly bent for the first time a 4 1/2" grd 5 and a 5" grd8 for certification in the certs forum. I'll want to wait on getting the video posted before making it official. Those were some super tough crushdowns, by the way!

Well, hopefully we can all work toghether and have us an honest to goodness Texas Grip Competition sometime soon! Can't wait...

Oh look, opnsysme just posted some git - together pics in the gallery. Cool.

Well, the Revolving Bar Contest evolved into the Let's Try This Contest.  Unfortunately my Crusher has yet to arrive in the mail, and Mike Potts couldn't make the trip down with his Clay Edgin handle.  But we all had a blast, nonetheless.  Matt Chips (opnsysme), Weldon, his friend Preston, and a monster named Mike Christopher and myslelf competed grippers, Rolling Thunder, and a farmer's hold for time.  We also bent, pinched stuff, and picked up all sorts of heavy implements.  I know you're suppose to say what a great bunch of guys your fellow gripsters are when you meet up for these shindigs, but in this case it's more than true.  I'm beginning to think that all who call gripping their hobby are simply outstanding people.  Generous.  Kind.  Honest.  Motivated.  Strong in body and character.  What was particularly neat about this gathering was the fact that we are all followers of the Lord Jesus Christ!

Here's a few highlights.  Matt closed a #3 for MM0 certification!  It took a few trys, but he persevered!  Hopefully the video is good enough.  Weldon continues to get very close with his #3, but it just wasn't meant to be on this night.  I succeeded with a close of Weldon's filed #3 for the win in this event. 

That monster I mentioned pulled 175 on his first ever try with the RT for the heaviest pull in this event.  Yes, he has 21" inch arms, and more impressively he has 21" vascular arms!  He's about a six foot, 290 pound strongman who performs seated presses with a cool 300 pounds.  The surprise of the evening came when Weldon's not so monstrously huge friend, Preston, walked away with the win in the farmer's hold for time.  He held the 1 1/2" smooth handles loaded with 215 pounds for 70 seconds.

Between events we did the important stuff - BENDING! :laugh  I showed the guys the double overhand technique, and then they all quickly demonstrated for me the superiority of the reverse grip.  That was funny!  Actually, I think double overhand just takes a lot of practice to develop the proper feel.  Monster Mike darn near finished off a grd 5 on what was essentially his first real go at bending!  Weldon showed that actually training bending is only optional. :shifty  How he can still take down 60 D's, I'll never know.  Matt's a newbie to the world of bending, but shows a ton of promise, and already has very strong wrists.  By the way, he's a darn good pincher too, having conquered his 45 pound blob.  Also on his first go with the steel, Preston bent a 40D, and came close to finishing off a 60 D.  Yours truly bent for the first time a 4 1/2" grd 5 and a 5" grd8 for certification in the certs forum.  I'll want to wait on getting the video posted before making it official.  Those were some super tough crushdowns, by the way!

Well, hopefully we can all work toghether and have us an honest to goodness Texas Grip Competition sometime soon!  Can't wait...

Oh look, opnsysme just posted some git - together pics in the gallery.  Cool.

Nice Report.Thank You. :rock

Had Mike Christopher ever done any "specific"grip training?

Is he interested in it now?

Just curious....

I don't think he mentioned any prior work on grip , but I heard him a couple of time say he really liked it and wanted to get some grippers and workout with us.