It Is Done

Clay Edgin

Don't know if this will get locked or not, but anyone who knows me knows I don't BS about what I can do or have done. I don't have any proof of the finished bolt because my scanner (which reads the digital camera card) isn't talking to the computer right now.

Tonight I wrapped up that grade 5 5/16" x 7" bolt and crushed it down the rest of the way. Very tough, but doable. The ends are definitely under 2" apart and are more like 1.5". The threaded end has bent quite a bit and it curves from the threaded end all the way past the middle of the bolt, like half of a squished "C" if that makes any sense. Unbraced the whole way, although I was tempted to crush it braced after I got it near 2".

I know there are a handful of guys here on the board who can probably do one of these, and I know Pat would be good for more than one. Next time I try one I think I'll cut off .25" from the threaded end and give it a go. Of course, doing one in one sitting would be nice too.

Awesome !!! :bow

That is a chunk of steel Clay!! :ohmy

Patrick, it just has a triangle in between the 3 dash marks

I'm stunned.

Congratulations, Clay! You are most likely the first man in the world to accomplish this feat! Do us a favor. See how short of a FBB you can do, to give us humans an idea of how far we have to go.