Super-tough 60d's

pexter

Got a batch of 60d's from home depot.Tried to bend one today.

What the....??? :blink It felt much harder than a grade 8 possibly tough as a Red Nail.

Went and bent a grade 5,and then went back to it.Still could not bend the 60d.Went and bent a grade 8.Then went back to this crazy 60d.Still no dice.Tried a few others from the same batch,and the same thing.Fought at one for awhile finally put a kink in one.These must be a botched batch or something.They must be a little high in a certian element when they made the heat for these nails.

What do you guys think?Did something similar happen to any of you?Again these are just ordinary electro-galvinized 1/4"dia. 60d's from home depot.

Edited by pexter

Ooh! Ooh! I want some!!

I have heard through the grapevine that Terminator has some 60d nails that are as hard as reds. The wussy within me is hesitant on crushing something like that because it might shatter, and the last thing I need is shrapnel in the neck.

They bend Clay,but very tough man!!!

I'll send you some just PM me your address OK.

Edited by pexter

Yeah, mine are just about the same as 5.5 grade 5's. Kinda neat to have.

I finally bent one.They feel like a grade 8.Springy too.

I went back and hand picked the rest that was mixed out of the box.You can tell the difference in the nails if you look closely at them.Different head thickness and no criss cross pattern on top of the head,and they feel heavier too.

Pic#1 tuff 60d on right

pic#2 tuff 60d on left ,regular is the criss-cross pattern

Edited by pexter

While on the subject of verying strengths, I bought some Grade 5's 6in from the Do-It-Center and I noticed that the apearance of some of them differed. Some looked normal and some looked like they had a glittery finish.

I bent one of the normal ones that day and I forgot about the other ones.

A week later after resting a few days I decide to bend a Grade 5 for my first bend and it bent like a 40d, and I thought "WOW, I am getting strong quick!" So, I decide to take down another grade 5 and it was DAMN TOUGH.

Anyways, the moral of the story is watch out for the glittery-looking Grade 5, it's not worth the 50 cents you'll spend on it.

I've only had a go at two 60d's and they were both from home depot. I was only able to put the smallest kink into both of them. Of course, this is the toughest steel I've ever tried other than succeeding in a 5'' HRS bend. So is it that these 60d's are similar to your batch or am I just a weak ass mother f*****? By the way, how close to an average 60d would you say a person is if they can take down a 5'' HRS piece?

Edited by Paul Kilmer

Wherever you buy 60D nails from, they are going to vary a great deal from batch to batch. There is clearly no need for consistencey in something as crude and unimportant an item as 6'' nails.

The first time I ever even attempted a 60D was when warming up at GGC... it went down easily.

Though the other day I picked up a few 60D's at home depot that I was unable to bend. That same day, a friend handed me what he called a "medium 60D" and I bent it. Definite difference!

I got a few left that I'll try and compare to the pics you posted.