Wow

gaster

Last Saturday night Gamidon invited me over to his place for a little grip get together. Gamidon, Big Steve, and Tom...didn't catch his full name...and some of Gamidon's family and friends were there. I got there late so everyone was eating, it was dinner time. Gamidon was really nice and invited me in and offered me some food. I got there too late to see some of the really big steel being bent but I saw the aftermath. It was almost hard to walk with all the mangled steel on the floor. 3/4", 5/8", and 1/2", all various lengths were bent by Steve and I think they got video of it. There was also a plastic container of grade 5's and 8's, and a few reds that they bent before I got there. They also had 2 blobs. Those guys weren't done for the day though, lots happened after dinner.

Tom and Gamidon's son exploded some pop cans. One that Tom popped took his hat right off and I believe they got that on video. They showed me how to do it and I was able to get one too. Gamidon did some short steel bending, but he had ripped a chunk of skin from his right palm so he eventually had to back off a bit. He tried some super glue and duct tape, but that didn't hold and actually took off more skin in the process. Even with the hand injury he bent a big spike or two, either 12" or 14", I'm not sure.

Big Steve put on a very impressive display of card tearing, ripping a full deck, a full deck in the box, a deck wrapped in duct tape by Tom, 1/4 of a deck, and opposite corners out of a deck. He tore an 1100 page phone book as well. He mangled some horseshoes and at least one big spike and chewed on part of a pop can as an after dinner dessert.

Gamidon is no small guy, but Big Steve is is pretty appropriately named. I've never seen someone that big and thick in person before. His hands were like bear paws and incredibly thick. At one point he was trying to explain the importance of ab strength and told me to hit him in the stomach. I was very reluctant so I didn't hit him hard at first, but he made me hit him again. I swear I almost hurt my wrist, he's like hitting a wall.

Everyone was really supportive and helpful, trying to show each other better techniques and ways to do things. Tom, with some tips from Steve, pulled about 60-70 lbs. more than bodyweight on a v-bar, and he had never tried it before. Tom also got out his kettlebells and showed us all a few different lifts. I managed to do a few swings without killing anybody or taking out a window in Gamidon's house so I consider myself pretty lucky there. Gamidon tried showing me double overhand for bending, but I didn't quite get it. It just didn't feel right for me. I'll have to try more later since it seems to work so well for most people.

Overall it was a great night. Gamidon, his family, Big Steve, and Tom were very friendly, supportive, and helpful. I was a little quiet, but I was almost in shock from all the things the other guys were doing. It was great to be able to learn and train with those guys and hope to do it again sometime.

A new way to train wrists- hitting Big Steve in the stomach.

Great report, Gaster!