Rolling Thunder

JustinH

Man, I hate you guys. What is wrong with you people?! I got 110lbs my first time on the RT, which was 9 months ago. I am up to 165lbs now. I seriously work so hard at it in the gym, and here a lot of you guys lifted my max or more the first time you tried it! Jerks. Of course, I am a grip noobie, but still, jerks! :):tongue

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGuy

• rbrown

• JustinH

• God-man

Man, I hate you guys. What is wrong with you people?! I got 110lbs my first time on the RT, which was 9 months ago. I am up to 165lbs now. I seriously work so hard at it in the gym, and here a lot of you guys lifted my max or more the first time you tried it! Jerks. Of course, I am a grip noobie, but still, jerks! :):tongue

Does that mean you are doing 165 in plates, equals 171, which is greater than your bodyweight of 155?

If so, you have got something on 99.5% of the guys on this board...

Hbgzr

Does that mean you are doing 165 in plates, equals 171, which is greater than your bodyweight of 155?

Hbgzr

Yeah, 165lbs in plates ... is that 171lbs counting the handle and loading thing? And yes, I guess that's true considering my bodyweight. The more I think about it, I guess a lot of the grip guys are pretty big .... I don't feel AS much shame now, haha.

Come to think of it, mine was just plate weight...so add a standard loading pin and RT handle to that... :whistel

The more I think about it, I guess a lot of the grip guys are pretty big .... I don't feel AS much shame now, haha.

Makes me feel good about my sorry lifts and grip work all the time man. :D

The more I think about it, I guess a lot of the grip guys are pretty big .... I don't feel AS much shame now, haha.

Makes me feel good about my sorry lifts and grip work all the time man. :D

Ah, brother Tim, my fellow little-man comrade! :)

Hbgzr

Yeah, 165lbs in plates ... is that 171lbs counting the handle and loading thing? And yes, I guess that's true considering my bodyweight. The more I think about it, I guess a lot of the grip guys are pretty big .... I don't feel AS much shame now, haha.

So you are doing Rolling Thunder at 110% of bodyweight? I don't want to do another gripper bet (like I did with Mikael), but if I hadn't lost that bet, I would be willing to bet there are not 5 guys on this board who can RT 110% of bodyweight.

I suppose you should shoot for 120-125% of bodyweight. I cannot imagine ANYONE getting to 125% of bodyweight. There was a 1999 COC who was close, but other than him...

Hbgzr

Hbgzr

So you are doing Rolling Thunder at 110% of bodyweight? I don't want to do another gripper bet (like I did with Mikael), but if I hadn't lost that bet, I would be willing to bet there are not 5 guys on this board who can RT 110% of bodyweight.

I suppose you should shoot for 120-125% of bodyweight. I cannot imagine ANYONE getting to 125% of bodyweight. There was a 1999 COC who was close, but other than him...

Hbgzr

Yeah, I am doing 110% of bw. Is that really that rare? I did the math and seems like 125% for me would be like 194 - 195lbs (at 155 bw). I guess I have a nice little goal to pursue now with the Rolling Thunder, haha. :)

Yeah, I am doing 110% of bw. Is that really that rare? I did the math and seems like 125% for me would be like 194 - 195lbs (at 155 bw). I guess I have a nice little goal to pursue now with the Rolling Thunder, haha. :)

Absolutely that rare. I would imagine it is more common with lighter guys, just as lighter guys are usually the Pull Up Kings.

You get to 115%, you are even more elite, 120% very rare, 125% a league of your own. Absolutely.

Hbgzr

Absolutely that rare. I would imagine it is more common with lighter guys, just as lighter guys are usually the Pull Up Kings.

You get to 115%, you are even more elite, 120% very rare, 125% a league of your own. Absolutely.

Hbgzr

Cool. I wonder if there is a record for RT/bw% .... If, err, when I get 125%, instead of having the Thickbar Daddy title like Steve G., I'll hold the title of 'Thickbar Mini-me'. :D

1.time:oct 2004 left:170;right:155 new one

now: left:200;right:200 old one

not really a good progress :(

I managed 180 today on a PVC RT after doing 60 #4 negatives, it's the first time I've ever tried a RT. I'll post back in a few months :D

A the first of this week I got 160 plus what ever the loading pin is I used, for the first time trying. (PVC model)

Hbgzr

There is a video clip in the old gallery where I pull 90k at a bodyweight of 83k. My best training pull was 95k at that bodyweight. I pulled more than bodyweight in the early LGC competitions as well (when RT was one of the events). This was all with a rather well used handle though.

Sorry, double post.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

I managed 180 today on a PVC RT after doing 60 #4 negatives, it's the first time I've ever tried a RT. I'll post back in a few months :D

Not an IM RT then?

I still have a Rolling Thunder sent to me by Ironmind in the very early 90's. I never went after it hard but, did get 245 (total weight) back in the first few workouts so many years ago. Over the years I used it sporadically. About two years ago at the GNC booth I pulled the 216 they had loaded up as part of the challenge. As an aside about construction my very early RT unit was made with a PVC revolving handle just as they are today...... other than paint wear they are identical.RS

I did 5 x 45 in my first couple of RT workouts with a new handle and went on to lift about 40 more. This was several years ago. I have not tried the RT lift for a very long time.

• 10 months later...

Today I recived a new RT and with the right hand I lifted 60kg, with the left hand 65kg.

Is it a good lift for a person that can just close the #2?

60kg is a good first lift!

my first lift was 60kg, and tonight i pulled 95kg and got within a few inches of locking out 100kg.

Very Good lift I can probably only lif t about 150lbs rolling thunder and can blast a #3 COC so Great lift!!!

Brendan

Very Good lift I can probably only lif t about 150lbs rolling thunder and can blast a #3 COC so Great lift!!!

Brendan

Thanks! I have 8''+ hands which makes thick bar easier for me. You can bend a bastard though i can hardly do 1/4'' x 6'' stock LOL.

Edited by CoC#3

My first try was 75 kg if I remember correctly, that was maybe one and a half year ago. Now my best lifts with it are 90 kg's counting the plates only. I want to reach the 100 kg milestone this year.

If so, it will be a good training device, but the numbers are not at all equivalent to an Ironmind Rolling thunder that is made of PVC. I have a metal Rolling Thunder (a very old one) and a worn PVC Ironmind rolling thunder. Both are significantly easier than a new plastic rolling thunder. My best on the metal one is 277; my best on the plastic worn one is 252; and my best on a relatively new plastic rolling thunder is 230.

This is news that I did NOT want to hear; I'm competing in the RT Nationals at the GNC... and if what you're telling me is that the new RT's are much harder.... :(

Don't be worried about that "new handle" stuff, just grab it and get on with it, if you put negatives into your head you are not going to get the most out of yourself. Personally, I can lift the same on a new handle as I can on an old one, although I tend only to use new handles to train on.

Good luck at the contest,

Laine