Bone Strength?

sammyg

Do you guys think that the strength required to bend an IM Red with a double overhand style unbraced is more than enough strength/power required for snapping a human forearm (double overhand style)?

Serious question by the way.

Cheers!

I usually start my forearm snaps using the old Terminator over/under style and then switch to the double overhand to complete the bone break. Many here simply approach people and immediately snap their forearm double overhand without any pre-exisiting kink.

But could it be possible to do?? to an average sized forearm..

I don't know and I don't care to find out. :dry

Troll alert? Or simply a misguided youth?

hahahaha wot the hell is this??

you guys a bit touchy? its a legitimate question.

don't give me that "our mighty grip strength shall only be used for good!" attitude.

lighten up geeks.

After looking at this thread a few times I decided to reply, out of annoyance.

Your question seems stupid for multiple reasons. The most important one is that you would never be able to grab a person's forearms with two hands and break it, because while you would be trying to do this he would be punching you in the face. I suggest from now on you ask questions that are at least logical. You would never be able to get a guy to agree to wait patiently for you to break his forearm in a fight.

EDIT: Actually I can think of one position where you could immobilize your opponent for enough time to break his arm, but there is no need to do so, because you could just twist his wrist to cause excruciating pain.

Hand/Grip/Wrist strength was/is used primarily in the tiger styles of shaolin kung fu, which includes crab style (which died out a long time ago). I think if you are interested in aspects where you could apply grip training to physical combat you should check out those styles. Although I still don't know why you want to break somebodys forearm.

Edited by Santa Clawz

I think it is a fine question! Anyway, I think there are three aspects of strength important in breaking one's arm; grasping, crushing and pulling or bending. I think that heavy block training would give good strength on grasping hold of the arm and gripper work would build enough strength to crush or immobilize the arm. I think that bending spikes or working on horseshoes would give you the strength that your wrists would require to finish the break.

Edited by ironorr

The reason for the reaction by members is we had a weirdo actually have a fetish on grip and bone breaking. :whacked

In breaking a bone the leverage is going to be much more important than the strength. Grabbing properly to cause pain/injury requires years of study in martial arts to be effective.

Or about 2 seconds, a drunk opponent, and a lot of luck. lol.

No way, bones bend and flex, they dont simply snap. And the forarm is so thick, compared to the nail, I dont believe that the strength carries over at all. I dont think anything is impossible, but this is one of those things that I feel would be inhuman to do.

Anuwbius has a point, your are talking about applying an equivalent amount of pressure on an object with a circumferance that is anywhere from 7 to 14 times a red nail and you have 2 bones to break instead of 1 nail to bend. If you were to make a thickbar comparrison, it's like saying I can do X#s on a 5/16 bar, does this mean I can do X#s on a 2 3/8 bar?

ive snapped many a forearm bone in my day. muhahaahaha

then i moved on to legs.

then said what the hay....and snapped torsos

I think what worries me is breaking my own wrists bending nails.

I have broken my left wrist completely 3 times, and am getting a little weary in my old age (35)...

What are the risks of breaking your own wrist bending?

What are the risks of breaking your own wrist bending?

Minimal if you build up a strong base of wrist tendon strength with heavy sledgehammer work over a period of months.

I'm the same age (35) and when I started, it always bothered my hands more than my wrists. What technique do you use that bothers your wrists so much?

Actually, it doesn't bother my wrists at all. I am bending 1/4 x 6 inch hex bolts with no problems... the soft ones, but I was wondering about later on when I get a little stronger...

I am on the KTA program for grip so I am not doing bending right now...

I guess there is little danger.