#4 And Mm3 Closers ... One In The Same?

milkbone

Okay, I'm a little confused by this. There are some #4 closers that are not on the MM3 list (Heslep, Morton, etc). Rob W. is on the MM3 list but not on the #4 list. Does anyone know why these folks have not done both? It would seem they have the strength to do either? Is it some preference or just failed attempts when they tried? Also, is the MM3 stronger or weaker than the average #4? I can see why Magnus has not done the MM3 since it doesn't have the same exposure as the #4. He probably doesn't even know the MM3 exists.

But what about these guys that are on the grip board that have done one or the other and probably both in training?

Edited by milkbone

Tommy had an injury last time it came up to start up the MMG ladder.

Dave attempted the MMG3, but had a technicality enter the picture with respect to capturing proper video. He's on list again for the next round.

As far as Monkey Paws and the #4, the credit card rule probably has something to do with it.

IMO, Clay should have closed the MM3 on his first cert day, but he was busy bending red nails beforehand. Dave Morton did close it on his first attempt, but the video didn't work.

At the Global Grip Challenge, I know Clay closed the MM3 Replica. I can't remember if Dave did, but we never broke the official MM3 gripper out of the package until well into the gripper event, so these guys were not fresh for the attempt.

It's just a short time until both these guys are MM3 certified. Tommy heslep also closed the MM3, I think.

Can Robbie close the #4 with the credit card rule? I don't know, but he got it to the width of a coin last January at Strong-arm Tactics with the formerly permitted set depth.

There is a decent jump between the official MM3 and my BBSE and both my number 4's. The MM3 has a tough close. It feels like there is a rubber eraser stuck in there right in the end of it. If your set is off and you don't attck it, you're not gonna close it. For me to get it, I am going to need to spend a lot of time with hard grippers in the closed position.

-Jedd-

That's the competition thing. I ought to have gone for the Super Elite (just missed in the comp 1/8th of an inch) and the IM red nail as opposed to the 300ipRB gripper and the grade 8 (uncut).

Plus way too many of the guys were almost getting a CoC 4 (Clay's 'easy' 4) in the hotel foyer the night before the competition.

That's the competition thing. I ought to have gone for the Super Elite (just missed in the comp 1/8th of an inch) and the IM red nail as opposed to the 300ipRB gripper and the grade 8 (uncut).

Plus way too many of the guys were almost getting a CoC 4 (Clay's 'easy' 4) in the hotel foyer the night before the competition.

You mean you guys were closing tough grippers the NIGHT before the contest? :blink

Yes mate. The mistake of those that don't compete too often. I have a pic of Rob W 'monkey paws' bending bars behind his back in the hotel foyer at midnight!

It sounds silly, but we really couldn't help ourselves. We started closing RB300's on the van ride to the hotel from the airport. Then at the hotel I brought out the dyno and some of my grippers and a few of us took a crack at my easy #4.

Jedd, I think Dave did close the MM3 replica. There was a 4 way tie for first in that event with Tommy, Rob W, Dave, and myself all closing it. My hands were a little raw morning of the comp but that first gripper close loosened things right up.

I guess i just assumed you guys took a week or a few days off before the contest...were "well rested".....makes the results all the more impressive.Sick stuff.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Most did. But it's like you when a freak in the gym is in overdrive and you HAVE to post (even if John W doesn't get it). The guys HAD to show each other what they can do - what did most expect with a bunch od alpha males in one place!! I managed to resist the most but still ended up having a squeeze of the dyno (240 or 260lbs - not too bad after 24 hours up and 18 travelling).

Basically no one should have done a thing saving it all for the platform but what the hey, let them lift, gives me a better chance to kick ass. That said the 2 doing the most - Clay and Rob W ended up first and 2nd!!

Steve, your best unbraced squeeze was 89kg (198lbs). Don't go misleading people into thinking you're strong! :laugh

Did everyone there give it a squeeze?Were all the dyno marks recorded?

I'm wondering how ALL the dyno squeezes compare to how well ALL contestants performed on the grippers?

i gather from other discussions there isn't quite an exact correlation(gripper/Dyno)...but ,for instance,were dyno numbers close? to how each person "placed"in the actual gripper event?

I think if there was a way to show/project Dyno results on a big screen (or something)in REAL time .....it would be a cool event to watch...or at least sort of fun.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Steve, your best unbraced squeeze was 89kg (198lbs). Don't go misleading people into thinking you're strong! :laugh

Well I was tired - that's my excuse. :blush Tom not everyone had a go.

Tom, a lot of people gave it a shot, although it was done casually throughout the day. With all that was going on, I barely remember being there myself!