Training With Lesser Grippers...

Goatman

I don't post much, but I've been reading for a couple of years now. A question for the COC certifieds here:

I've been training to close the #3 for a while now, and have closed it a couple of times but was never consistent. Then I went to school and at first, my training was inconsistent, and it was a few months in between my next close. Well, a couple of months ago, I started in earnest again, and am again closing it. Now, I am more consistent. My question is, do you COC certifieds train at all with the #2s? I am wondering if training with the lesser gripper negatively affects my being able to close the #3. I don't want to screw this up now that I am this close.

Thanks for the replies.

I've found that doing no-sets (or close to it) with my #2 has made my #3 feel easier, particularly in the sweep. I train my #3 with parallel sets. I also occasionally rep-out with my #1 with no ill effects.

I know it kind of sounds like a silly question, and I have been using the #2, but the reason I ask it, is this: Lately I have been working with the thick bar, and it seemed that whenever I would go below my max in a workout, it would slow my progress down. I would do my max for timed holds, then when I couldn't pick it up anymore I would work with progressively lower weights until I was at muscle failure. That seemed to screw me up. I now only work with my heaviest weight and it seems to be going better. But that is with the thick bar...

You guys are my sources of inspiration, and I really value what y'all say, and I appreciate what has been said already. Thanks. :bow

Goatman, it sounds like you may have simply been overtraining your thickbar.

Thanks Eric, you're probably right. I should mix it up a little more. I'll see how that works, I'm going to file on my #2 tonight. Thanks everyone.

There seem to be a sliding scale between strength work and endurance work.

Brief pure max workouts are easy to recover from and you gain strength quickly.

Longer exhausting workouts, "dropsetstyle" is great for endurance, and takes a lot longer to recover from. The trick is to find what works best for you, i.e. at what point in the "scale" you should keep your workouts to reap the best gains.

That makes sense about the endurance workouts. The grip is really the only muscle group that I work, and I don't have a lot of workout knowledge. That is why I'm here.

So, would you say to do explosive lifts of my max weight on the thick bar, and to keep the workout short?

Thanks.