Old Terminator Style? Whats The Deal?

Devlin

New Bender here....

I have been bending 40d's double overhand style without a problem for about 6 weeks, but I had been stuck on the 60d.

I had tried the old terminator style a few times, but it hurt the webbing of my hand. Then this last weak I tried a 60d old terminator style and it went.

Since then I have probably bent 20 60d's no problem, but I am still working on bending it double overhand style.

So here is the question:

Should I continue to work towards only bending double overhand style or am I no less of a man for settling for the style that works for me?

And whats the deal with double underhand too?

Edited by Devlin

Well I am not going to get into the "purists" arguement but I think its probably just a good idea to bend the way that feels the best for you and causes the least amount of pain. There are many that think taking more pain is the manly thing to do but when you get all kinds of hand problems you'll be looking for the comfortable route to your goals. Thats why I am trying to learn the double overhand vs the double underhand. D.U. just kills my hands where I had and old fracture that I never went to the hospital for and I don't think it healed properly. D.O. seems to be less painful, well it still hurts like heck, but it ain't to the bone hurt like the other style. It really kills my index finger for sure, dang they are two sore puppies this after this evenings little fiasco.

I guess it depends on whether your goal is to bend a particular nail or to biuld wrist strength.

If it's to bend a nail, use your strongest style. If it's to build strength use your weakest. I personally like to use different styles and max with my strongest.

I think the true best bender is the one that can bend a red with the most number of different styles. Just my 2 cents.

What do you mean by what's the deal with underhand? That is the style that I started with. Just grab the nail with palms facing up and pulldown with your lats, lean forward a little and finish off with an almost pushdown in front of your belly.

FYI: STATS: 6-2, 215lbs, Age 25, Location Los Angeles

I have been bodybuilding off and on for about 8 years. About 2 months ago a friend of mine got me hooked on bending, and here I am.

My goal is to get certified with the red nail, and to close the number 3 IM gripper.

I have bent the grade 5

and closed the number 2.

Welcome to the Gripboard, Devlin!

With bending the Red as your goal, you'll most likely accomplish this quickest if you work with the double overhand technique. If you take advantage of all the extra leverage this technique can provide you'll gain a big boost. But it's not unusual for new benders to feel more comfortable and stronger using a reverse grip (old Terminator style). But if you seek simply the highest possible output of horsepower, work on developing your double overhand technique. This board is full of posts discussing this, and just about anything else related to bending.

Depends on who you talk to I imagine :D . If you're wanting a tough, manly style I'd say try to bend Slim-style. If you're looking for th most advantageous style then go with the double overhand. Good luck.

If your goal is to bend a red as fast as possible, double overhand will be the strongest. If you do it right you can rely upon all the chest strength you have built over the years. Either get an experienced bender to show it to you in person, or you may want to look in to Maximized Bending, available through www.cyberpump.com It has video of Eric thoroughly explaining and demonstrating the technuiqe.

If you are just trying to strengthen your hands and wrists, Terminator style or double underhand will work best.