World's Or Ryder Cup?

David Horne

After chatting to Smitty last night, what's everyone's thoughts on a World Grip Champs (before we have all sorts of jokers claiming 'World's'), or even a kinda Ryder Cup contest between U.S. v Europe? I think this is the site that it should be formed from, since the best are here, and also we are quite close to getting uniformed lifts now.

David

Let me ramble here...

I like the idea of a worlds, I just have a few problems/questions with it:

1. World's keeps people out. Right now, this sport is just evolving and coming into its own. Hell, grip sports are still on the tit if you know what I mean! Having a world's means only the best compete, and that puts people on the outside looking in. Take the GGC for example-from place 7 down are some very good athletes, just not good enough YET to come in top 6. However, they still competed hard, and still added to the contest. I cheered on the guys from TPS as much as I did the Vigeants! Everyone was important to the success, and environment of the contest. If we start picking and choosing who is "good" enough for a world's, we start turning people away. I think everyone, regardless of talent or current level, diserves a chance.

2. Who hosts the big one? Who diserves the right? I know I said I was done having contests, but after being at GGC, I am stoked to host another one. I have some ideas stirring up in my head, and I am thinking about next spring for the next BFGS. Like I have said before, I like to offer money to the top guys. I think this brings more people out, and it sparks more interest. Does this cause a confliict? If I remember right, winning money for competing qualifies one as a professional. So, if they come here and win cash, are they out of worlds?

Rick Walker :rock

I think the idea sounds great especially if it included an armwrestling tournament! I also think that standardizing the grip events is a very good idea as this would put everyone on an even playing field, especially where world grip records are concerned.

Some more thoughts-

If we do this, we need qualifiers, an organization with rules, etc.

We also need standardized equipment. Promoters have to pony up and buy as many as 20 different levels of grippers, and then send them from contest to contest.

The same pinch apparatus must be used. And, even though the v-bar is an exact replica, I am sure there are some differences from piece to piece, so that would have to be shipped from promoter to promoter as well.

Seems we are a long ways off from this seeing light.

Rick Walker :rock

Strongman doesn't require standardized events. I think all we would need would a a sanctioning body that would evaluate contests to determine if they would be difficult enough to be a qualifying contest. From all of those contest the winners could compete in this World Cup. Sort of like NASS does now.

And, even though the v-bar is an exact replica, I am sure there are some differences from piece to piece, so that would have to be shipped from promoter to promoter as well.

Honestly I doubt anyone would notice a difference between two LGC-replicas, made out of the same batch of iron, with the bars covered in chalk. This is not a spring gripper. Differences, if any, would be kept at an acceptable minimum provided the bar is not stored in a damp environment where it may rust. I have two so I would be happy to test them back to back (when I get some extra cash for weight plates that is).

Edited by Mikael Siversson

qualifying contests are a good idea if you can have a contest in each region where everyone would have a good chance at attending. maybe 4-6 regions in the us and whatever is needed across the sea.

Austin

David, you love stirring this stuff up for me. As I remember, I was one of only a few who wanted a US national championships declared in a thread that YOU started. And now you ask about a WORLD championship? (I thought we had one of those BTW, some garage up in Quebec?)

Forget standardized equpiment -different contests add variety and fun, don't worry about organizations- the gripboard is all the organization that we need, who cares WHO hosts it or WHERE -it doesn't matter as long as three things happen.

1) The best in the world show up

2) The events and judging are fair and showcase a level of well rounded grip strength.

and

3) The competitors have the oportunity to train on equipment that is close enough to what will be used during the comp (ie, no banana dumbell that only one guy has access to)

Hell, the only real problem is number 1.

If it had a few more of the best from Europe (and/or elsewhere) and maybe a little more input on the way the events are run (a compromise between the US style and Euro style of holding a contest) the GGC could have been the World's. I just don't know how you get the best to consistently travel across a continent for a grip comp year after year.

Come up with a compromise on the events, find a way to bring the best, put it to a vote on the gripboard, that's all you need! That is going to be HARD ENOUGH to accomplish, I don't know if anyone could do this yet...

BUT a US National Championships, I think we've seen now that it can be pulled off in spectacular fashion...

Edited by AP

Come up with a compromise on the events, find a way to bring the best, put it to a vote on the gripboard, that's all you need! That is going to be HARD ENOUGH to accomplish, I don't know if anyone could do this yet...

In the end, things will be run the way those that really cares wants it. While people (who commonly never competes nor organises grip strength competitions) are engulfed in endless discussions about which events to chose, things are happening right now. The European was a huge success and so was the GGC. The organisers of both competitions seem to strive towards standardisation of events. If you want variety, you could always arrange your own competitions.

What about having the Worlds contest broken down into multiple contests on different dates? Send the same Vbar, grippers, bending stock, and use a new RT at each contest. That would get more participation and no overseas travel. The events would have to be the same but not all held at the same time. Competitors can compete in their own region. The results from each contest would determine who the worlds best is. If the implements are the same, the rules the same, it seems like this could be done.

Having a worlds in one location on one day will ensure that it doesnt have all of the best in attendance.

I see one problem with a new RT handle for competitions. You can't train for it properly. The physical properties of the handle change as soon as you begin your training towards the competition day. After a few months the feel of a RT handle will be very different from that of a brand new one.

Strongman doesn't require standardized events. I think all we would need would a a sanctioning body that would evaluate contests to determine if they would be difficult enough to be a qualifying contest.

But at the same time, Strongman, and the IFSA, has become such a farcical egotrip for Dr Doug et al, that they can pick and choose weights and events so that their "Boy of the Moment" is all but guaranteed first place.

It's become so bad that athletes like Dymek, and The Daddy have set up their own factions, you don't want that kind of disharmony, or it'll end up like powerlifting, with a hundered different factions saying their man is the strongest.

I agree with the World Cup idea, but I think Feats of Strength needs more publicity for it to become financially viable. In other words, people need to get onto Record Breakers and generate an interest in the sport.

In other words, people need to get onto Record Breakers and generate an interest in the sport.

Is this some sort of TV program?

Yeah, it's a kids programme where people try to better feats listed in the Guinness Book of Records. Geoff Capes was on it doing brick lifting when I was a kid and that was what got me in the gym.

I think "X" number of standard events and a couple of wildcard or highly visual events to draw more interest to the sport and maybe get more sponsors and money. The wildcard events would be unannounced until promotion of the contest started so it would also keep everyone on their toes and the champion really would have to be the best all around gripster not just a master of the standard events. The wildcard events would be more for the crowd so it could be something like phonebooking tearing/frying pan roll-up/can burst medley, nothing too drastic that's going to drain the competitors.

Like Rick said I don't think we should keep anyone out, the sport is just not popular enough to do that. I'd love to see the day when people are turned away from grip contests because they're too full already but I think we've got a ways to go. I think keeping people out eliminates the freak factor and puts an aterisk on the competitors. For example, if Josh Bigger shows up at a championship and is turned away because he hasn't qualified, the winner of the thickbar event has got to wonder if he really could've beat Bigger.

I tend to agree with Gamidon's proposal of using standardized (if not the very same) equipment and events at a few different contests around the globe, and then compiling the results and ranking all the best lifters.

I'd think that you'd have to keep the results quiet from one competition to the other or the second group to go would have the benefit of knowing what they have to do to win... Psychologically, that is a very big advantage (assuming strength levels are similar of course).

Some very interesting points.

My own thoughts on the subject as one who won't be competing, got the armwrestling table out again and loved the training last night.

Anyway.

1. Yes it does need a host, but I think it should change continent yearly, and since the U.S. and Europe host the biggest contests right now maybe the Ryder Cup style contest would be good/best. This way, maybe 4 competitors and 1 reserve from each continent would travel. With 8 competitors and 2 reserves in total chosen by the 2 team captains from the results of the GGC and Europeans, and availability. Just like the Ryder Cup.

2. Certainly a standardisation of events would help the sport greatly. Feats of strength are great, but most sports have standardisation. ie. Long gone are the standing long jump, and throwing a brick from athletics, and the curl from powerlifting.

3. A whole network of contests through the year will ensure we know the best, and that the competitors know the apparatus. For example in Britain we have the British Novice, then the Professional, then the Europeans, then it could be this final World event. Qualification is really a must I think. All athletes have to qualify for the Olympics via times/disatnces reached and/or positions gained. So maybe another place could be granted to someone who has achieved a great standard of lifts on the events in another contest?

Anyway, just some more food for thought.

Pat,

I already have next year planned with the British National A/W Champs hopefully followed by the Worlds or preceded by the Europeans depending on how things go.

David

Pat,

I already have next year planned with the British National A/W Champs hopefully followed by the Worlds or preceded by the Europeans depending on how things go.

:rock:rock:rock

Gosh, I've posted this a few times, but I don't think standardization is needed. I think a few standard events would be nice, but I don't think it is necessary or worthwhile to standardize every event for every contest.

Now, if you guys wanted a standard set of grippers, I would consider hooking up with Bill and see if an MM set can be loaned out for important contests.

I think a World Championship is nice and is worthwhile if it can be arranged properly.

However, I think it is more important for a grassroots involvement for the sport to grow, at least here in the US. How many competitions are held a year here- Not many. If you really like grip and really want to be involved, hold a competition.

I also think that standardizing the grip events is a very good idea as this would put everyone on an even playing field, especially where world grip records are concerned.
Why do we need standardized equipment? Why do we NEEEED it?

All we need to do is make sure that we contest a variety of grip disciplines, and we will have what we need. We will find out who, on that day, was the best because they all use the same equipment.

If we end up using replicas of the V-bar, then sure, we'll have a world record instrument, but how can you have a world record on a gripper?

don't worry about organizations- the gripboard is all the organization that we need, who cares WHO hosts it or WHERE -it doesn't matter as long as three things happen.

Great point. If people are not members of the gripbnoard, they can still find out about it via mailers, and other means of proper promotion. Then when they do find out about it, they can join, or just maintain contact with someone on the board.

One thing I want to say in regards to this - some of the athletes with the best grips are NOT members of this forum.

-Jedd-

Edited by Jedd Johnson

I like the "Ryder Cup" idea - the sort of thing we COULD do right now, if funds etc would allow it. The Worlds idea seems to need some more bashing around. although I think all it would really need would be a really strong organizer.

Why do we need standardized equipment? Why do we NEEEED it?

Well is adds another dimention to grip contests; hunting down a world record. The v-bar record is firmly in Jim Wylie's hands, son of England. Being married to an American, I find it unlikely that you guys will simply give up. The LGC v-bar replica will be used again in grip competitions in the US. Having one or two events where we can compare the USA with Europe is better than having none IMO. Some events are simply not suitable for recognising world records in (like grippers).