Interesting Story

austinslater

Just read post from another forum about a guy who has worked manual labor all his life and has developed some strong hands. Anyways his first attempt at gripper got him to under 1/2" on a #3 but then he tried it inverted and supposedly closed it like a store baught gripper. Has anyone else seen or experienced something like this? Just thought it was wierd that manual labor would develope the strength needed to close the #3 inverted, as most of us have found that is it much harder to close a gripper that way.

Austin

Didn't that bodybuilder who almost closed the HG500 get closer inverted than regular? Perhaps there's something to this? I guess inverted the last part of the close is dependant on your index finger instead of your pinky. That could make for as easier close.

yeah gunter whatshisname was told to try it inverted and he got to within 1/8" on the HG500.

I've never tried my #3 inverted but I know my #2 feels harder. My question is if it is harder to close grippers inverted why are inverted closes not allowed on certs?

It is only harder to close grippers inverted because that isn't how folks normally train. It takes a little while to relearn how to squeeze the gripper and where to apply pressure in your hand.

yeah gunter whatshisname was told to try it inverted and he got to within 1/8" on the HG500.

hadn't heard about this occurring?

Would that be Gunter Schlierkamp?

He is a huge individual.....

For all those anti-bodybuilders......I guess they aren't all a bunch of sissy "pump artists" :blink

Yup, same Gunter. He apparently rarely ever uses straps and grew up as a farmer in Germany or wherevertheheckheisfrom

Yup, same Gunter. He apparently rarely ever uses straps and grew up as a farmer in Germany or wherevertheheckheisfrom

Interesting.

I noticed in photos that him and Ronnie Coleman both had huge hands...compared to the rest of the competitors on stage.

GH = Hand growth. Hmmmm.

GH = Hand growth.  Hmmmm.

Oh c'mon..... :rolleyes Lets not attribute everything these guys can do to drugs? if it was that simple then a lot more strength athletes would have huge hands....and be crushing grippers and pulling 245 Rolling Thunders(as Coleman did,reportedly, first try)...PLUS the rest of the guys on stage,at the Olympia, would have huge hands too.

They(Coleman and Gunter) are just big,genetic freaks.....that happened to choose bodybuilding.

Not to say they are drug free...but either are a lot of other strength/speed/power/athletes....and they can't all crush that new gripper like that...nor can the pull 805 fro 3 and squat 800 plus....at 3% bodyfat.Hell Pudz can't even do that. :D Not too mention what Colemans lifts are even higher than that when he's weighin' 325?

Again..if that simple...there would be a LOT more big lifts...freaky gripper closing strength...and thickbar lifters in the world.

(yes I know about Acromeglia and growth hormone and other drug side effects)

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

They(Coleman and Gunter) are just big,genetic freaks.....that happened to choose bodybuilding.

Put down the crackpipe and step away from the keyboard, sir!

Put down the crackpipe and step away from the keyboard, sir!

Good grief.I didn't say they were drug free.You said yourself Gunter grew up on a farm....and it is obvious he has large hands.I'm saying basically that GH didn't give them large hands.They just have large hands.large hands and big wrists frequently indicate more or thicker tendons...or at least the ability to develop more hand/wrist strength(certainly not always).THAT is -part of-their genetic freakiness i am referring to.

Coleman's lifts regardless of drugs or not are also part of the freakiness 'equation'IF it was all JUST drugs...then all the bodybuilders,pro strongmen,powerlifters that use drugs...would be doing these lifts.THEY DON'T. :blush

I'm also,referring to their(Gunter /Coleman) strength and grip ability and hand strength.

The point is IF it was all that EZ ??(meaning that JUST drugs give you a huge crushing grip and thick bar ability)every bodybuilder they handed that thing(gripper) off to would have nearly shut that thing...and everybodybuilder there is would be pulling a huge Rolling Thunder or picking up the INCH replica....They(other bodybuilder,many powerlifters and football players and Pro Strongman)CAN'T do all those things so these guys have some exceptional strength genetics.They chose bodybuilding.

Again there ARE so many athletes using drugs....and they CAN'T do ALL that?!?!CAN they?

Some of you guys want to attribute everything that others can do to steroids.Yeah they are top bodybuilders in a sport where dugs are(perhaps)mandatory but NO that isn't why they can dust off most of us in the grip department.IMO.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Most people who don't work their grip specifically do not have strong ring and pinkie fingers. It is quite common, I've noticed for the untrained to fair better inverted.

im with tom of iowa on this one.

this has been said many times....."the same top five guys would still be the top five WITHOUT ANY DRUGS"

because they have the top genetics top intensity the top eating and dieting habbits the top drive.

your hands dont grow from gh...lol i hope whoever said that was kidding. what a joke.

imagine if gunter trained for grip.

Again there ARE so many athletes using drugs....and they CAN'T do  ALL that?!?!CAN they?

yea, but maybe coleman is just taking larger doses of drugs that others cannot afford.

Moderator edit: Closed due to thread being steered to DRUG opinions