Tough Hands

SantaClawz

Hey guys,

I just found this forum and cannot be any happier! Finally a place full of grip fanatics :D

Anyway, I was reading through some topics and didn't notice this topic posted before so I thought I would ask you guys about it.

I have met a lot of people in my life with what I noticed were thick, strong, tough hands. I noticed this from handshakes. Finally I took it upon myself to work until I got hands like those I admired.

The thing is I have created a program for hand strength and wrist strength but I realize I am missing something that they had. Their hands were tough (maybe rough), how could I develop this type of thick skin? I am sure if I did some work with my hands (work, not strength work) they would be full of blisters - which is the opposite of tough skin. How can I create tough skin?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer,

S.C.

Edited by Santa Clawz

Welcome to the board!

Thick tough skin is normally a product of plenty of friction caused by manual labour or training.

If you want to develop thick skin then one specific method you can use is thrusting your hands into a bucket of fine sand and grabbing the sand. After a few weeks of that get some coarser sand and repeat, then smooth fine pebbles and finally some fine but rough gravel.

Also lifting anything rough like bricks will do it. Just start out light and work up so you don't get blisters.

You may also want to spend some time each day rubbing your hands with 400 grit sand paper to remove loose skin and stop chunky callusses building up (they are prone to tearing)

Edited by Octogen

Funny that you ask.

Today my girl friend (a nurse) wanted to measure my blood sugar.

I felt a bit dizzy and she wanted to check if its a low blood pressure or a low blood sugar.

Well, she used one of these automatic needle systems set it to the medium depth and gave me a shot in one of my fingers. Nothing happened. :D

Then we used the maximum setting and tried it again: Nothing. :mosher

For a very short moment I couldn't stop laughing. Then she used my earlobe. :whacked

Grippers and Pinch is the solution, at least for the hands.

welcome dude, yeah grippers have toughned my hands up no doubt, skin is a lot thicker in places.

Thanks for your replies!

Hmm I think that I should try the sand method, seems like a good idea. But blisters are a bad thing then? Should I leave my hands dry or apply lotion to them?

Thanks again guys,

S.C.

i use this moisturising handwash at work when i wash my hands, puts a little bit of life back into them, stops them drying out completely

I would think that many people have naturally thick skin on their hands - down to genetivcs, much like anything else.

Not a great deal of help but it may be something to think about.

I've wondered about this too. I used to work construction and was constantly trying to develop thicker callouses. Nothing really worked..... I've read that urinating on your hands will toughen the skin. No....I'm not kidding. It seems that guitar players and rock climbers have used this method. I have not yet tried it.....

Due to the knurling, regular gripper work will toughen up your skin as much as you need. Be sure to pay attention to not doing so much that you are always opening up your hands as that will put a pretty nasty roadblock in your training.

Dinny Deadlifts require tough hands. Not just tough skin, tough structure as well. I like the advice given by others here. Dinny deadlifts just stood out in my mind because they are downright nasty and painful.

Dinny Deadlifts require tough hands.

Dinny deadlifts just stood out in my mind because they are downright nasty and painful.

"Dinny" as in Donald Dinnie the great Scottish strength athlete?? Is that what you're talking about?