Ggc & The Weather

mANVIL

Well, living in Maryland approx. 5 hours south of Towanda PA I had planned to make the trip up to the Global Grip Challenge as a spectator to watch and learn (competitor sign up ended sept4). Rather than pay 70 bucks to stay at a hotel me and a couple friends decided to just leave Saturday morning at the ass crack of dawn and would arrive a little before the contest started. Well I get up this morning at 5:30am and its pouring like crazy so I check the weather and there is major flooding throughout alot of northeastern pa.

from weather.com:

a scrolling banner accross the screen read: "FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR BRADFORD COUNTY PA" I click it and see:

...BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED CIVIL EMERGENCY MESSAGE ISSUED BY BRADFORD COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY RELAYED BY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY 455 AM EDT SAT SEP 18 2004

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF THE BRADFORD COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY.

IT IS REQUESTED THAT ALL RESIDENTS REMAIN OFF PUBLIC ROADS IN BRADFORD COUNTY... UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE... DUE TO SERIOUS FLOODING PROBLEMS. EIGHTY PERCENT OF ALL ROADS IN BRADFORD COUNTY ARE CLOSED AT THIS TIME.

ONCE AGAIN... THE BRADFORD COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT REQUESTS THAT ALL RESIDENTS REMAIN OFF PUBLIC ROADS IN BRADFORD COUNTY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

"FOR THE TOWANDA CREEK AT MONROETON... MAJOR FLOODING IS OCCURRING... WITH A STAGE OF 18.9 FEET MEASURED AT 5 AM SATURDAY."

I think to myself... hmm...monroeton sounds familiar and so I check the directions Jedd PM'd me earlier and i'll be damned if they dont pass right through monroeton with towanda being the next town over! Both in bradford county.

We called the number on the GGC website for the comfort inn where all the participants are staying at. The woman at the desk said large parts of 220 are closed (the road leading up to northeast pa) and parts of route 6 (the comfort inn is on route 6 and the contest is just off it).

It looks like I won't be able to attend the GGC this year, not even as a spectator. But more importantly lets hope that everyone arrived/arrives safely and the contest can go on as planned.

-Matt

edit: forgot to add...DAMN YOU RAIN!!!!! DAAAMMM YOU!!!

Edited by mANVIL

Yep. You believe that shit?????

Luckily, almost everyone is already here. Getting from the hotel to the Contest spot will not be an issue, so if you have loved ones here, do not worry. They are on high ground and should be fine.

This morning I set out to get to the contest spot at 6 AM and could not get there, so I may or may not be able to attend the show until later on, BUT Smitty IS there, the gym is already open and they are currently setting up.

This may mean that I may not be at the hotel to take the group of competitors the short ditance to the hotel, but the directions are very very simple guys, so if one of you competitors can get onto the boardright now, just remmber th directions I told you all last night.

Take a left onto Route 6 out of the Comfort Inn driveway. Go through the Plaza red Light and continue Straight. Go across the Bridge and you will come to a red light. Go straight through the light and go up the hill. There will be a "T" in the road. At the "T", turn left. Take the very first right which I believe is College Ave. Then take your very first left and that is the parking lot for the YMCA, the contest location.

Further updates will follow as time goes on. Regardless of what happens outside, the GGC will most definitely go on.

-Jedd-

Well - I for one am a victim of the weather and flooding -

I couldn't make it to the GGC - too many roads out - flood damage and risk...

Best of luck to all the contestants!! :rock

Brett

I gotta tell ya, we almost didn't make it to the contest ourselves! Dan "The Crazy Phillipino Headbanger" Cenidoza damn near killed us so many times it wasn't funny. It's dark, dumping rain on us, foggy as a mofo, and Dan is flooring it to pass a bus on the wrong side of the road. We drove through several small rockslides and flooded roads.

Getting to the contest was no easy task either. For some reason, we were looking for the Towanda Gun Club and ended up in who knows where. Thanks for rescuing us Jedd!