Silver Crushes Are Coming

Matt Van Weele

Warren Tettting recently told me that he is going to start making the old silver crush grippers again. He will make a few different styles. One will have a standard spring with cold rolled knurled handles. The other will have a standard spring with the handles chromed. The other will be like the originals all steel and all chromed. As far as handle spread and spring depth goes it will be the same as the current grippers he makes. If you want them wider of more narrow or with a different spring depth he can make them how you want them. Hes not sure on prices yet. Knurling, drilling and cutting steel handles costs more. Part of it is because it takes longer and also steel is harder causing the life on cutting tools to be shortened about 3 times faster compared to aluminum. Chroming charges also factor in. For more details you can contact Warren at 651-222-1889.

Those sound sweet. Too bad he doesn't have a website to post them on. Last time I talked to him he was a week away from having a catalogue and a website. That was 6 months ago.

Yeah the catalogue and a webstite won't be around for the a while. The guy doing the stuff for him kind of screwed him and got all side tracked. He was doing it for free but Warren wasn't happy when he figured out the guy was telling him he would have stuff to him when he wasn't anywhere close to being done with it. Warren said the guy sent him just enough stuff to make him think he was actually working on it. About the only thing the guy got done were the certification sheets.

I know that IM claims the silver crush grippers are rare because the chroming process reduces the lifespan of the springs. Is he doing something to address this? Or is this primarly for those who *must* have a silver crush?

Does anyone know what dimensions/specs (spring size, mounting depth, spread, knurling/no knurling, etc...) I would need to give him to have him make one the the famed silver crush grippers that people are always talking about being incredibly hard.

Also would the gripper be as hard if the spring wasn't chromed ?(as I would like it to last)

Thanks

Josh the old ones varied alot. I would say if you want a hard #3 have him make the spread about 3 1/4'' and have the handles 1/8'' or less away from the spring. I would guess that would put it strength wise at about a 3.6 maybe stronger.

Chroming shortens the life and he said he isn't sure if its a good idea because if they do break it could send a peice of the wire flying which may end up stuck in your body somewhere. This is fairly rare though.

IM's claims are wrong. They are rare because not many were made at the time. Chroming has little to do with it. Remeber Warren made all of IM's grippers until about 1994. So if he starts making them again it's the same guy and the same grippers that were made back in the early 90's.

Are all the current BB models gonna be available, or are the grippers gonna be stamped T, 1, 2, 3, 4?

Jim he will make you whatever you want.

I'm not sure when production will start on them. I would think the more that people call the faster he will get going on them.

Matt,

So to clarify I would need to order a Silvercrush #3 with 1/8 inch mounting depth, 3 1/4 inch spread, and chrome handles (I'm guessing these are maybe a little slicker???) if I wanted a duplicate of one of the hard ones. The chrome spring makes me a little nervous so I'll leave that part alone. Thanks.

That should be what your looking for Josh. The chroming is basically looks or to have one like the ones that were made in the early 90's. If your going for the feel and want it to be as functional as possible leave the chroming of the spring alone.

and I blew up my #1 a year ago.. the thing had tons of reps on it, I doubt any 3 has had that many reps, but still, the flying spring steel shards kinda scared me..

And I guess the shards are flying alot faster out of a #3 spring!!

chrome looks nice but Id steer clear, or crush with caution.

~Steve

Damned, and I thought my collection of grippers was already complete. :dry

Well, lets call Warren again. :tongue

I need to order a 3 as soon as I can!