Negatives

climber511

When doing negatives on either the Secret Weapon or the Gripanator; how far do you allow it to open your hand before stopping or relaxing the grip? And what advantages do you see from fighting it for a longer length of movement?

When doing negatives on either the Secret Weapon or the Gripanator; how far do you allow it to open your hand before stopping or relaxing the grip?

Let me take this one. ;)

I don't have the Gripanator, so I can't comment about that machine. I do have and train with the Secret Weapon.

When I go heavy on the SW... it's not so much distance as it is pressure.

It takes place almost immediately after I grab the two handles together with my grip hand and let go the weight handle. I then fight it - which is only for a few seconds - I then re-grab the handle to release that pressure.

This is what the machine is designed to do, beyond the range training; it is a negatives-only grip machine, the way Kinney wanted it.

Sybersnot - I knew I was going to have trouble with getting my question accross with this one. I'll try again. When you start the movement, you have the handles squeezed as close together as possible (touching). You release the support hand and all the weight comes on, then you hang on for dear life as long as possible. My question is how far do you allow the handles to open your hand before you catch with the support hand again. When I try to hang on too long, it feels like it's going to rip the skin off my fingers - just curious how far you fight it? Are you saying you hold it just until your hand begins to open - then catch it?

Edited by climber511

I have a gripanator, and I hung on for dear life, fighting all the way through the open, and it WAS tearing the skin off my hands. So I wore gloves, and it wore through three sets of them. I contacted PDA, and they seemed surprised and said maybe it was a hand issue or something, as they never heard of the problem before.

I got them to make "beyond the range" replacement alumunium handle with NO knurling. Took three months, and just got in the mail today, so should have less issues there now.

I found there were two movements to having the handle open (subsequently determined to have been previously discovered and called "sweep" and "close"). With max weight, and squeezing as tight as possible, the handles would open an inch or so, then my hand would provide sufficient resistance to hold the handle, then would fight it all the way out (the sweep).

But it dawned on me that this wasn't helping at all with the "close", as my hand wasn't doing anything until the handles openend an inch (as it wasn't strong enough to provide any resistance at the close with that much weight). So to work on the close, I lightened the weight until I could hold the handles shut at the close. Now I'm doing just like Sybersnott - hold the handle, release the weight, hold it closed for about 10 seconds about what time I'm getting ready to pass out, then grab the weight with the other hand. So there's no handle movement at all. There is actually a minimal handle movement, as the handles open a 1/16" of an inch or so from being completely closed when I release the weight onto the gripping hand. When the hand gets strong enough to keep the handles completely closed I then add five pounds.

It seems that my sweep is naturally far superior to my close, I can get all my grippers to at least parallel, and then I peter out. So I haven't worked my sweep in a while (since it doesn't really seem necessary at this point - and since I wore through all my gloves).

As a side note, I installed an overhead pulley and a rope on the gripanator, so the non-gripping hand can lift the weight by pulling the rope in a lat-pulldown fashion. I found this much easier than having the non-gripping hand man-handle the huge lever arm with weights on it.

As a side note, I installed an overhead pulley and a rope on the gripanator, so the non-gripping hand can lift the weight by pulling the rope in a lat-pulldown fashion. I found this much easier than having the non-gripping hand man-handle the huge lever arm with weights on it.

That was a good idea!

//Jim

Kinney says something in his video to the effect of : "fighting it all the way out because it really does make a big difference". I wonder if that's why he was able to use such a shallow set on the #4?

I agree with sigmfsk on the negatives. I get much better results doing negatives with a gripper I'm almost able to close rather than using the #4 to try and help me close a MMdud. I've found I just get really good at holding the #4 about 1/4-1/2 inch from shut. You're still using the negative principal of forcing your hand to handle more pressure than it would on an attempt but you actually get to work on the close portion. I still fight it all the way out but if the gripper blows open to 1/4-1/2 right away I know I'm using too much gripper. I would imagine the same principles could be applied to grip machines. As a side note pay attention to hand position. If I'm doing negatives on the ISG and I attempt then cheat close I'm not as strong as when I just cheat it closed from the beginning and position my hand just how I want it and then let go. I can do tougher negatives the latter way but I think I get far less transfer to the grippers.

Kinney says something in his video to the effect of : "fighting it all the way out because it really does make a big difference".

You can do that USING A GRIPPER. Try that with a grip machine like the SW and you'll suffer an injury. The actual movement on the handles of the SW is very minimal - probably less than half an inch at most.

I don't own a SW nor have I used one which may be the problem but the picture of your SW in the galleries clearly shows the handles are much farther than 1/2 inch apart which means they move well more than 1/2 inch.

I don't own a SW nor have I used one which may be the problem but the picture of your SW in the galleries clearly shows the handles are much farther than 1/2 inch apart which means they move well more than 1/2 inch.

I mean when the handles are closed together in my hand. I think I've got pics to show what I'm talking about... let me find them.