Ed Coan

kelby

i wonder if he can close the number three gripper. i read an article about him once he did alot of static holds,like holding a barbell with weight on it. but that is all i remeber of that article. does anyone know what else he does.

I don't think he can close the #2, let alone a #3. :dry

True enough, I remember reading a long while back that Mister Coan was offered a #2 to try and that he was unable to close it. Either way, I find little solace in the fact that I can close a #2 and he can't when HE has totalled 2,400+ and I haven't. (I'm really close though. :tongue ) But still. The comparison is just about as goofy in my book. He wouldn't ask me to pull an 800+ deadlift and post derogatory/demeaning posts about me when I wasn't able to.

This is not a dig on anyone here. Just stating what I consider to be the obvious. He doesn't practice our form of strength training. And most of us don't aspire to even get within 75% of his total. So kind of an apples and oranges kind of comparison.

I've had guys that are strong try my grippers and not be able to close them, guys a good amount stronger than me. There was even one guy that could pinch 2 35's and couldn't close my #1.

Grippers are very technical. Poeple who can't close a #2 can have much stronger hands than mine.

Describe Ed Coan to set a gripper and he closes it. Maybe not the #3, but for 100% the #2!

Flo

Well they certainly do build crushing strength, both dynamic and static. After having done grippers for a year I recorded a reading on a dynometer (I had never tried before) higher than that of several very big and very strong strongmen (who did not train with grippers very much at all). There is no way I would have done that without gripper training.

imo grippers are not technical really. pretty simple and straight forward to be honest.

there only technical if you cant close it.

i closed the 2 the second try and it had nothing to do with technique as i had only tried store grippers on a handfull of occassions.

i cant quiet get the #3 without a hoseclamp but i dont think its techniqe its just i dont have the pinkie/ring finger up to the task yet.

power>TECHNIQUE.

I closed the #2 the first day I got it and I had no technique. However it did take some time to master