How much could i get.

Guest Youngguy

Don't tell me this was the reason you became a COC....

Well, actually being a COC is a stepping stone; an honor, especially for someone as young as you are.  I guess your title will be, "Youngest Person To Officially Close The #3".

I wish I were 14 and could make choices like you can.  If you want to be a strongman, I would suggest TRAIN on all sorts of

lifts.  Not only the core lifts, like bench pressing, deadlifting and squatting - but also one-armed lifts, bent pressing and odd object lifting.  You're on the right track about some grip stunts, such as phone book tearing, steel bending, card tearing and the like.

If you need help, contact me by e-mail, and I'll point you in the right direction.  Here is a small list of the people you'll need to contact for sound advice:

Tom Black, John Brookfield, Bill Kazmaier, David Horne,

Richard Sorin, Mike Roy, Vic Boff/Johnny Mandel, Joe Roark,

Steve Weiner and Kevin Fulton.

This is a list of some of the most knowledgeable people in the strength/physical culture biz that you could find (and I left out a lot more people, I know).  Ask them, and they'll help ya.

There isn't squat for money.  A lot of the top strongmen still have full time jobs.

Concentrate on school and doing very well in school.

Guest Youngguy

No!!! That is not why i became a coc. I am planning out mt future. I want'd to do something I was good at. I dedicated my life to be the strongest I could be. You know me closing the #3 is not all I got in store. I will close the #4 too. The #3 was just a start for me in this goal of mine. Ever since I picked up a COC gripper, and heard that only one man closed the #4. I thought to my self, hey i could achieve this thought to be impossible goal. I never realy found anything as much enjoying as strength traing. I tried hunting, and it cost way to much, and a waste of time and effort, that is if you wish to obbey the law. Tried playing the guitar, never got anywere, my dad didnt take me to get lessons. I'v thaought about the military, it accoured to me I would being killing because the president would command me to out of something he started in the first place. In strength traing I have a place to be were I dont break the law because of not having a lisence to lift weights, or have to wait on my dad to take me to get lessons. Look man I was just trying to figure out what kind of life it would be, if I seriously got into this sport. Your reply was just bast on me being 14 anyway, like I dont know nothing or anything.

Sybersnott and Wannagrip are right Youngguy there is no quick way to riches ,fame or glory in this business! There is no need to become defensive if these guys tell you what you do not want to hear! The gentlemen who conquered that # 3 did it mostly for their own satisfaction and spent their own money getting there! None of them expected to get rich doing it! Go to school,get an education and otherwise plan for your future! You will not earn a living by becoming a strongman and/or a grip star! Pardon me if this advice rubs you the wrong way but we are all trying to keep you centered and in touch with reality! Our intentions are good! remember you requested our advice!!  Happy Holidays to you and yours Youngguy!           JJ

Guest Youngguy

Oh my god, did I ever say I wasn't going to collage. I am going to cologe to take Physiclogy, and Buisness. I do listen to people, but not when they all have the same thing to say. "Your young you need to go to school." "You dont know anything your still young." You know I will be a competiter in the power lifting sport. Instesd of telling me to back off from working out and do my homework, you should motivate me to workout more or harder. School is always going to be part of my live intill I leave collage ok. Im 14, but im not stupid, or even a stupid jok. Thanx for the influence for school, but that was already figured out thats all. This coc #3 thing, is just something I did intill I talked to my gym teacher the first day of school, and then met Mr. Strossen. Then I finaly new, what I was doing is really a big thing, so I kept doing it. I am dead serious about my strength training too. Why not take your special abilities to the next leage insted of staying home and wondering about it. Anyway I was only courious. Courious about how much stronmen get for there hard effort. Thanx too for youe suggestions and adice, but I dont need, but thanx anyway. I know almost all sides of reality fokes, im young but not stupid.

Guest Dimitri

Hey kid.....keep lifting......see how strong you can get.If you want to be a professional strong man.....good luck.If it's money you want,you should know that most every other pro athlete earns way more money than strong man or lifting competitors.Maybe you can use your power in another sport???####,when I was 14 I wanted to be a pro boxer.From 16 to 21 I had over 40 amatuer fights, winning most of them,and sparred with some pros.I finally figured out if I were to go pro,I really didn't have the talent to make it to the top,and I knew plenty of guys struggling going nowhere.But I gave it my best shot.If you really want to make a career in strength field......just keep getting stronger.By the time you're an adult you'll probably have found your niche.

Advanced schooling requires the ability to

spell, so perhaps acquiring that skill may be

something you should master before attempt-

ing entrance into college.

Frankly, I suspect you are putting us on; if not,

I apologize; but if so, why?

I think Dimitri brings up a good point.  There are fields where the strongest do make loads of money.  NFL comes to mind.  I would suggest training your athleticism as well as your strength, then try to get into college on a scholarship, such as football.  This way you can fulfill your educational desires while training to be the biggest and the baddest.  You've got four years before you graduate high school.  If you have the determination to train and close the number three by 14, then buddy, the sky is the limit on what you can achieve.  And you can still compete as a strongman.  It just doesn't sound like you can make a living off of it.  And being a great football star is certainly a way to spread your name around the globe.  That can't hurt when it comes to advertising yourself for strongman competitions.  Everyone will already know who you are!

Guest woody36

Youngguy,

Nobody's saying that you shouldn't follow your

Dream,but you have to realise that there are very little

rewards in strength sports.Most powerlifters,bodybuilders

and so on struggle to make a living through the early years,

and only  a lucky few go on to get sponsorship deals from

the top companies,or win Worlds Strongest Man,or become

Mr Olympia.

Ask yourself this,how many millionaire strongmen are there?

These people do it out of love for their chosen sport,and

that's what you should focus on,and maybe in a few years

you can tell us just what a top Strongman earns!

I was wondering the same thing myself from the beginning Roark. Would it not be hilarious if our old friend Vince or one of our crafty moderators was instigating this as a sort of pre holiday joke?! :D

Frankly, I do not feel like doing the calculations,

but tabulating the prize money for various strength

stars over, say, the past decade, would probably not

total to a decent paycheck to equal a 'regular' year's

pay.

Dorian Yates became the first Mr. Olympia to earn

giant money, Arnold never made big bucks from

competition, but from his ability to translate to other

big cash endeavors- the very skill many other strong

men lack.

But to rely on a skill that sits on the edge on injury

by its very nature, without having a secondary source

of income is not a wise choice.

blueshadow,

This sounds like that reply in Kingpin's post "What's Your Beef?".  See what I mean?  (I've decided to "play along").

Youngguy.... actually I wasn't disrespecting you because of your age.  I was trying to help you, but after that response you gave - I think you still need to do some growing up!

You're trying to find your place in life, do something that you do well AND get paid big bucks to do it!  Hey, I wish I could do that (and most people wish that too).  Unfortunetly, we can't all do what we want in life.  If your seriously interested in being a strongman, then SHUT UP AND TRAIN LIKE ONE.  How did the strength greats become so great?  They trained and trained HARD.  If your life can't handle THAT (or you just don't have the time for it) - then forget it.  You'll never make it as a stongman.  

And I know you can understand that.

Guest Youngguy

Yea I know, but God will be by side as he has through out my life. Gods helps those who help them selfs. This means if you try your best in life God will be there for those bad times. Anyway I am sorry I went off the edge there, I should have a little more spirit arround christmas. It is just that when I talk to my Dad believe it or not he never listens, because he thinks im to young to know anything. He is not really the abusive type eather, well not physicaly. He takes me to the point every weak were I explode inside with anger. I try my hardest to not show it or inflict on others. I do a good job, well so far to not exert alot of anger. Anyway that is the reason for my rude response. I ment to make the topic title How much do they make, but I wasn't thinking at that point. It sounds selfesh to put the title I put. I thank you all for the advice, at first I ingored it, but now I realize what you guys are trying to say to me. Thanx alot I will use it. Oh im still trying to play guitar:)

Merry Christmas Everyone, and have a safe New Years. Please dont drink and drive, my brither lost a side mirror doing that, im glad thats all he lost, thank the Lord God.

Looks like you're already learning a lot by that response.

Blot out all your distractions, including your Dad (I know this will be tough).

Get in the gym and start training NOW.  If you want to gain muscular size and strength, read the book "Super Squats".

Hey, another thing.... e-mail me.  I need to ask you a question, but not here.  Good Luck - remember God is watching you!  :)

Guest Youngguy

I don't know your e-mail, but mine is mike@xorgate.com.

LoL I asked my Dad to take a picture of me closing the #3 this morning. Well he said, I need a cup of coffe, so go get me a cup of coffe first, and i'll take the picture. That wasn't the exact words but it is funny if I heared someone tell me about something like that.

He should be proud of me, but it almost seems like he dosn't care what accomplishments or goals I make.

Perhaps your father's appreciation of you will become more visible to you after your photo appears in the strength publication MILO.

If this doesn't happen, remember that the world is made of many types of people and not everyone is comfortable demonstrating their feelings. At any rate, take comfort in knowing that there are many others that are truly in awe of your accomplishment! Best of luck to you!

Train smart!

Youngguy, you should try to let your anger out somehow, or it could come back to haunt you some day, by way of serious emotional problems.

Just wondering, when you close the #3, does IronMind also give you a free subscription to MILO?

Michael Falkov

Youngguy,

Emerson many years ago said it for many of us.

Sometimes substitutes must come into play, and the

support you had hoped for from traditional sources

cannot be there for some reason. So Emerson's

comment: "The reward of a thing well done, is to

have done it" may not be something a 14 year-old can

grasp very quickly, but feel free to use those of us who

appreciate what you have done. We know you are in an

elite group. We will support your achievements.

I wish you well in your future grip exploits.

Guest Youngguy

I thank you all for your great reply's, but the dad story, well im not really worried about that. I thought that you guys should know that credit is do for whom take action in helping. That is all. Oh for my anger that isn't a problem eather, im forced to take medication, and dont want to really talk about eather. So thanx and Merry Christmas.