Overcrush Effectiveness

f34r

Your store bought might not be enough to overcrush. I'd do overcrushes with the trainer and negatives with a #1 and a #2, ar a Warren Tetting Super Advanced. They're pretty cheap and you'll get more than your money's worth out of buying extra grippers

Right now I have a #1 i can get to about 3/4 of an inch, and one of those cheap store bought grippers. Can I get results using that for overcrushes, or will they be innefective?

My opinion: If the shape and size of the closed handles of the cheapy gripper are similar to the shape and size of the closed handles of your No. 1, the overcrushes should be effective.

Overcrushes are mostly an isometric contraction. The lion's share of that exercise is squeezing the gripper in a closed position.

This is really second best, though. If you don't have the loot to buy the Trainer or other decent gripper, then you have to do the best you can with what you have. If you're just being a tightwad, though, then you're being penny wise and pound foolish.

You'll keep and use the Trainer for a long, long time. After you've outgrown it for overcrushes, you'll still use it to warm up.

Depends how long you've been trying to close that #1. If it's been awhile, you'd probably do well to get a trainer. If you can close it, it will at the least be a good challenge and provide a better stepping stone to the #1.

Right now I have a #1 i can get to about 3/4 of an inch, and one of those cheap store bought grippers. Can I get results using that for overcrushes, or will they be innefective?

If you "fail" where you do it could be because your crush is weaker than your sweep, or it may be that you just have a weak sweep that doesn't let you use any strength you have over the last half inch or so. If it is the former then yes it will help to some degree; if it's the latter, then it will not help as much.

What has worked for me up to this point is working with a gripper above the one I'm trying to close.

If you can close a trainer and are trying to close the #1, get a #2 and start doing negatives. I agree, the trainer is a good purchase also as it is a good gripper to warm-up and perfect technique on. You could also use the trainer for strap holds and overcrushes.

adding to the Overcrush question, I noticed when I do OC's I have my thumb wrapped around and am squeezing with it as well, does anyone else do this? I recently am concentrating on not using the thumb, yea or nay?

adding to the Overcrush question, I noticed when I do OC's I have my thumb wrapped around and am squeezing with it as well, does anyone else do this? I recently am concentrating on not using the thumb, yea or nay?

Yeah, I do that to an extent. My thumb sometimes comes around and touches the tip of my index finger. I've never really thought about it too much. I just try to use everything in my hand to grind the handles.

Edited by milkbone

I'd really recommend getting a HG100 or Trainer and using that for overcrushes. I only get results when I do overcrushes on a gripper that is one level below the one I am trying to close. So if the #1 is your goal, overcrushing the Trainer would be good.

Yeah, I think you need the trainer, 3/4" is still pretty far away from being closed, the trainer itself might surprise you and be strong enough for you to do some work on.

But if you really don't have the money then you could try OCs and two finger closes with the store bought and do a lot of assisted closes on the #1 (use the other hand to help get it closed). Also, learning to set the gripper properly might put you over the edge in being able to close it.

I never thought about it until you mentioned it, but yeah, I use my thumb on OC's too.

I don't know if it makes any difference or not, but it does seem like a good idea to quit thumb wrapping. It doesn't really help you shut the gripper (what we're training to do), it only helps you keep it shut once you've closed it. So I'll probably change my technique, or at least experiment with it.

Good observation.