000 Horseshoe Vs ?nail

MeatPlow

Hey I bought a 000 horseshoe and I haven't dug into it yet. What level do you need to be at on the nails to start attacking horseshoe bends? Watching Pat bend them at the NOSII was awesome. Are there any video clips in the gallery of anyone bending the shoes? I'd like to be able to study the form just a bit.

By the way I think the shoe size was 000 although it maybe 00.

I put them on my knee and pull them apart. Some people push/pull on the hip. Also I have seen guys put it inbetween the back of leg and calf and push pull from there. I am planning to put some different styles on my next DVD. Train bare handed it's fun. It make some neat dents in your hands and knee. As for levels just do the smaller ones and work you way up. Bad thing about shoes they aint cheap. Try to find a ferrier that can get you some used ones.

There really is no direct correlation between nails and shoes. I really think shoes are more about raw upperbody power than nails are. The farrier tip is a very good one. Just find a stable near you and ask when their farrier comes. He'll be happy to give up the used shoes.

Techniquewise, I asked Pat about it, and he said that he just looked at the pics in GMM (or maybe MOHS, I forget) and tried different angles. So, I did the same. Be forewarned, there is more variation amongst horseshoes than anything else discussed here. You'll run across super ez and insanely tuff shoes that are supposed to be the same shoe.....

Actually, pulling a horseshoe "apart" should be a good antagonist excersize to bending, since it is basically the reverse movement, or close to anyway. I'm guessing a lot of lat, biceps, rhomboid and shoulder/rotator cuff strength would be needed...

Thanks for the tips everyone. I may try the show I have in a week or so after my hands recuperate from the nails. I'm interested to see what style of form naturally feels the best or I gravitate to. I wonder if different styles can tell one about where they are lacking in strength in their upper body? I mean if you can do this style I wonder if it is this bodypart and so on?

I wonder if you could try unbending larger peices of steel ( like 7+) to train for horshoes. I mean a bent 7+ inch peice of steel would be a "U" shape at least marginally similar to a horseshoe and may be a good way to build up to doing real shoes.

Breaking U'd metal, in a similiar manner that one would bend a horseshoe, (pick a style) is pretty functional upper body work that should prepare you for tackling horseshoes.

Bend it, rebend, repeat 5 times, bend it open more than usual, rebend, repeat the entire sequence until you've broke it. Sometimes it helps to take a look at the breaking piece to see where the stress cracks are so you know where to apply the pressure and just how much you need to bend it. Idealily you want to wear it so that it will break without having to bend it past 180 degrees.

Steve,

When you say spike what size are we talking here? I honestly think I can take a grade 5 5" bolt down soon so what spike would be a good level for me to start on?