Blue Dot Or Red Dot On Steel Rods...

Tun Tavern 1775

I'm still working on the square steel, cut to 5"-7".

Someone told me (at Home Depot) that the red dot means it's CRS and the blue dot is HRS. This doesn't make sense, can anyone confirm? Is there anyway other way to tell if you're buying HR or CR (meaning color of steel, ect)?

All of the steel I've used for the past couple of weeks is blue dot and I'm running low, hence my reason for asking.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

The only dots I've ever seen on the ends of the steel at home depot was there to designate size, not strength. Usually Home Depot doesn't have cold rolled. I'd stick with something like a True Value or Ace for that. Or if you're ever in North Minneapolis, there's a place called Discount Steel that will have anything you might possibly need.

Jim, I've purchased hot rolled steel from Home Depot colored red. So perhaps with that particular brand and shipment you found red did designate the cold rolled. There isn't a universal color coding system with the steel I've come across. As a general rule, the CRS is shinier than the HRS, and usually, but not always, tougher. What thickness of square rod are you working with?

I just wear an old coat/long sleeve shirt, grab the end of a bar like a nail (using my sleeves for padding), and try to bend it. If I can just barely flex it like this, there's a good chance I can bend it with some challenge when the steel is cut and fully padded.

And no fair bending it then leaving it at the store.

Have you ever seen a bent nail in the bin and wondered if there is a secret bender lurking in your town. I have. :unsure:unsure

Thanks to all.

Eric, I'm just bending the 3/16" square stuff now that I've finished off the round.

I have some 1/4" that I made the mistake of cutting all to 6", this I've put a dent in, but never finished. Same for the 60d timberties and the 40d polebarns that I have. I think the polbarnes could go if they were longer, but they're 5". I also tweaked my right wrist a couple of weeks ago while trying front squats. This puts a dent in the bending work as well.

Bending (and all of the gripwork) is something that I'd like to make a serious go at, but right now it's just supplemental fun stuff that I do while watching TV or to finish training. When I do bend, I usually do just 6-18 bends, I assume that's NBD, but sometimes it feels more than tough. I suppose the wise thing to do would be to break down and spend the $60.00 on the coded nails from IM, but I'm too cheap to go that route. :cool

I agree with Scott. I've never bought IM nails. I always just used cut down steel stock from the hardware store.

Thanks, gents.

I guess I'll just keep bending the square rods and occassionally try something tougher. Jeff, I'll check out that place you mentioned, as I'm in Mpls almost daily.

Jim

I started by buying 3' 3/16" steel round stock and bought a pair of big bolt cutters. Then I cut them in 7, 6, and 5" pieces and worked my down. After I could bend 5" pieces well, I went to 1/4" 7" and continued to cut down to 5". After bending these I could bend TT's (6"), and bought these by the box they are alot cheaper. Now I can buy 40D and 60D by the pound, I think they are even cheaper. Hope this helps.

Thanks, BB.

I think I'm going to buy some more square steel and some more 1/4" round, but cut that 1/4" to 7" as you suggested. I'm pretty confident a 1/4" would bend if it were longer than the 6" that I cut it down to.

I appreciate the help and insights, all!

Jim

I'm still working on the square steel, cut to 5"-7".

Someone told me (at Home Depot) that the red dot means it's CRS and the blue dot is HRS. This doesn't make sense, can anyone confirm? Is there anyway other way to tell if you're buying HR or CR (meaning color of steel, ect)?

All of the steel I've used for the past couple of weeks is blue dot and I'm running low, hence my reason for asking.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Go to your local steel scrap yard - they usually sell new and used roundstock. It's hella cheaper.

I saw a 60d nail bend to 90 degrees sitting in a bin of fresh nails...showdown time...."this is my turf, you varmint....showdown at HIGH NOON"

Tun, do you bend 3/16" square or 1/4" square? Cause if you can do a 6" piece of 1/4 square crs you are very very close if not up to Red nail level

MEAT

Meatloaf,

I don't know how hard a red nail is but I know I'm far, far, far, away from getting that. I can't bend a Timber Tie--yet.

The square I'm using is beginner stuff, just 3/16".

Thanks.

Jim