Block weights

Guest JSallee

Guest JSallee

I have been training for a while with my coc's and lever lifts with a sledge hammer, so I decided to add a new twist to my grip training.  

Per John Brookfield's advice in the book Mastery of Hand Strength, I bought a dumbell and cut the handle off.  I started with a 30# DB.  I figure if it is too light I could just buy another one.  

It seemed pretty light at first, so I started tossing it from hand to hand.  In less then a minute my grip started to fail.  The next morning I had great muscle soreness in a new area of my forearm and palm.  

If you have not tried these, I would highly recomend them.  I think total investment was under ฟ.

Good luck,

Josh  

• 4 weeks later...
Guest JSallee

Robby-

With the end of the DB, I grasp it with an overhand pinch grip.  If the DB was not cut my thumb would be on the side where the handle goes in to the weight and my fingers on the outside or the end of the weight.  While keeping my fingers pointed at the floor, I pull the weight up and toss it in the air (not high) and catch it with the other hand in an overhand pinch grip in the same manner.  Always keep your fingers pointed to the floor, so as to stress the pinch grip.  

I hope this helps

There is a pic in "Mastery of Hand Strength" pg 44.

If the hand of the dumbell is not cutted (the dumbell is intact) this lift is VERY tough. You have to grip the dumbell with a pinch grip and then balance the dumbell. Small hands such mines don't help with block weights.  :(

did you cut the d-bell with a hacksaw?  or did you have to use a porta-band, or something like that?  i've been thinking about incorporating these for a while, but i wasn't sure how i would have to go about making the blocks.

Guest JSallee

Underdawg-

I cut it with a hacksaw, this was a workout in and of itself.  My forarms were twitching by the time I got one end cut of the handle.  

I have made gains with these very quickly.  This weekend I will probably go looking for a 40 or 50 pounder to cut up.  If you haven't tried these, I think that they are well worth the time and money.  

Best of luck.

preciate it J.  i've seen some cheap hex d-bells at wal-mart that it wouldn't hurt to go tearing apart.  i'll have to give it a try soon.

Guest regular guy

A cheaper way to make block weights is to use scrap wood.  I've used 4 x 4's, 4 x 6's to make them. I cut a length of about 5'' or 6'', drill a hole thru the center, then put an eye bolt or hook thru them. I use them with a loading pin. It's not quite the same feel as a blob, but it's cheap and saves your dumbells. Mr. Brookfield was right about their effectiveness.

• 4 months later...
Guest Reverend

I've tried these too, but not for a while.  I bought a 40 lb dumbell so that when the handle was removed, I had two twenties.  They make a difference, all right, but you have to do them consistently.  I stopped several months ago and went right back to the strength level I was at before I started.

The Reverend :(

i bought a 55 pounder a while back and made some blocks out of it.  these things have helped my pinching more than anything.  after using them for a short while i was able to consistantly pull a pair of 35's off the floor.  nothing to brag about i know, but it's an improvement.

Farmers walks are great with blocks, once you go as far as you can with a block in each hand you can continue by passing a block between hands as and when your grip starts to fail, a walk can last a very long time. :)

FC