Frustrated With The Coc #2--serious Help Needed

heatwave13

I have a question and am in need of advice from some of the more experienced folks here. First off, I need to give a little background info. I have been trying for nearly six months to close the #2 gripper and it just isn't happening for me. I am very close but everytime I get within 1/4 inch away, I just hit the "wall." The #2 was the first gripper that I ordered and I have been trying diligently to close it but just haven't been able to. I usually do a 5-4-3-2-1 rep pattern with both hands after my regular workout which is a Power to the People style with a 3 week cycle of squats followed by a 3 week cycle of deads. I also throw in a few power cleans/shruggs for good measure. The only other grip work I do is plate/pinch grips and holds.

My question is whether or not I need to actually be doing more for the grip in order to close the #2 and move on to start working on the #3. I have a rolling thunder on the way and want to incorporate that somehow into my workouts as well. But lately my hands and wrists hurt, my hand feels bruised in the heel pad from where I set the #2 in my hands and I'm just frustrated and wonder if I have the "makeup" to ever be able to get anywhere with this. I thought I would have progressed more than I have. Thanks guys for the help :stuart

FWIW-Last weekend I visited my brother who just ordered a #1 gripper and I shut it easily with each hand.

Edited by heatwave13

Heres a few suggestions for you:

1 - negatives on the no.2

2 - over crushes on the gripper below this.

3 - read over the all FAQs here in the Gripboard and you will find through the 'search' function all the answers and explanantions you need.

Digz.

P.s. It took me a long time to finally get that # 2 shut but the feeling was just all the sweeteer!

THere are a number of things you can do to increase grip strength.

Get the (KTA) program, USe block weights, exercise your thumb,

strap holds with micro loading with steel washer.

Recovery is also important. Try sleeping with mittens on for starters. If you've got the time do contrast baths on your hands every day. Throw in some dynamic thumb work and some negatives on a #3 and you'll have the #2 down in no time.

You could tape the handle of the moving leg on the gripper. I'm working on the #2 and have started this. This will give better leverage and shorten the range of motion up so that it can "close". When I'm able to close it in this fashion, I'll just take the tape off. Taping both gripper handles may also help with the bruising of your palm.

It took me a looooong time to shut the #2.

The first time I shut it I had only been doing a lot of block work with a 25lb block and goin' though my grippers. I'd warm up on my T and #1 and then I'd go for the #2 to see where I was at. I'd then do a few neg's on the #3 and then mabey a few easer reps on a lighter gripper to finish. With the block I was tossin', and hammer curlin' like a madman.

To dominate the #2 I focused solely on crush. Gripinator and grippers. Period.

There is a crapload of ways you can get to the #2.

The cheapest way will probably be wire cutting.

Next cheapest way is probably a Supergripper.

A little more cash will give you a better selection of grippers. "Tweeners" and a BTR #1.

Just keep at it. The #2 will fall.

-HH

Work your thumb pad. As bigger it gets as better will be the leverage.

When you do an attempt with your #2 force shut it with the help of the other hand. Then release the helping hand and try to hold the gripper shut.

it sounds to me that you need to put the grippers down for a week.

and fully heal.

the best grip day i ever had was after moving into my new apt. my hands were FULLY warmed up and everything i squeezed seemed easier.

so move and then try grippers. lol

Don't worry, it took me about six months to close it as well. I would give your hands a good week of rest and include dexterity ball rotations, contrast baths, and hand cremes with glucosamine and msm. I prefer to use Blue-Emu by Super Strength. It's pricey but after a hard workout the hands need the extra care. After your week of rest, spend a couple of weeks increasing your volume on the grippers, focusing on proper grip placement (if you don't know already), and mostly overcrushes with the #1 and 2-3 second negatives with the #3. After your hands have adjusted to the workload, your best option would be to start KTA. All I can say is that KTA is a ten week program and I slammed my #2 shut with BOTH hands after the third week. By the fourth week, I was actually checking to see that I had the right gripper because it felt that much easier, especially with my dominant hand. ;)

My advice is to use chalk and train everyday. You can skip a day if the skin has broken, otherwise you have to overcome the pain. It's also a good idea to try to close the #1 with three fingers, two fingers. Do negatives and try to hold shut. When you think you have a chance of closing the #2, take a few days off before trying. Good luck!

1. Order the #3 and start doing negatives : See KTA

2. File down the moving handle of your #1 : See KTA

3. Order KTA and follow it religiously.

I closed the #2 by doing negatives on my #3, but the other things above will help tremendously. I did not start KTA until trying to close the #3 and it worked wonders. Also, if closing the #2 is your goal, do not do any other grip work besides your gripper workout. No wrist or pinch work (except thumb exercises like Titan's Telegraph, etc). Only work the grippers and you must work with a gripper stronger than the one you are trying to close.

I agree that you should just take a few days off and start up the new program.

BTR's on a #1, negatives on a Supermaster or #3... or just buy KTA.

You should do 2 finger pinch work (pinky and ringfinger)! These two fingers have the best position on the gripper (best leverage) and are often very weak!