Up And Coming Bender

EricMilfeld

My pal Mike Potts has just recently been stationed on an oil rig only 25 minutes from my garage gym. With only a few workouts with the double overhand style under his belt, he's making really good progress. He recently bent his first 6" grd 5, and made quick work of both 5 1/2" and 5" grd 5's last night. I was not expecting that at all! He struggles a bit with the initial kink (I think it's a technique issue) and then simply demolishes all of his steel on the remaining 2/3 of the bend.

His great deltoid and tricep strength are no small help in the crushdown stage. I too was motivated by the presence of a workout buddy as I certified (not official yet) with a 6 1/2" FBB bar. This tied my shortest bend with this stock, but I managed it in much less time (about a minute), so I'll count this as a PR. ;) It's nice to be still setting PR's now that I'm celebrating one year of bending this month, with the progress slowing and my technique having been fully developed for several months. For a while there I was worried that I had finally plateued. :cry Gotta keep that pressure on yourself... and keep a good workout partner as well!

We also did farmer's walks for distance, grippers, and one handed pinches on a wooden block.

That Potts guy will never amount to anything ;) He is a very strong guy so it doesn't surprise me that he is melting big steel. I think he has the strength to be bending reds by now, but transferring that power from the upper body to the hands is the tricky part. Under your watchful eye, it will not be long before he finds that sweet spot with his technique and then sprints down the road to the red.

I guess this counts me out on joining you guys for a grip fest this evening. lol.

Great job guys.

W

Thanks for the kind words. Eric just blasted a 6.5" FBB. He hesistated for a few seconds at about 90deg but then finished it off. Took right at a min, and he bent just 3 days before. If I can find my form on longer steel, 6 & 7", I think I could handle it. I do better at 5-6" but I'll get there with some practice. Its great to workout with somebody who trains hard and like you do. So many years I have spent alone in the garage....Eric showed his all around grip too by closing his 3, farmers walking out the drive and down about 3 houses - it took me 3 drops to get it back (I should have chalked up) and pinching 80lbs(?) on a ~2" thick wood block.

Dub - sorry about that, were going to have to hook up. It will make it a little more difficult to come to your house since it will be about an hour each way for me. I just started this job and don't want to let the rig burn down while I'm in town working out, wouldn't be good for my income :) I'm going to start bringing some stuff with me when I come to the rig, if I buy a truck I'll start carrying my log, stones, etc and we can really get after it.

BTW, I am pretty tore up today. Not like doing 20rep squats but still pretty tired.

Clay, I'm pretty strong as long as the lift doesnt require the calves :)

Mike, see your name up in lights for your bends with those short grd 5's at the FBB site!