V Bar

deaner

I've never touched a 1" V-bar, but working with my IM loading pin as a V-bar is very effective. Hurts too.

I don't know what kind of carryover it has to over types of grip but it is a challenging device to use. Good for building pain tolerance for sure.

Yes, it would be interesting to know which carryover effects can be expected from the V-Bar!

What's necessary for a strong V-bar, besides a high pain tolerance? For example, a huge crush, a strong wrist, etc...? Thanks

I've found with doing 2" V bar that you have to have a strong crush and strong wrists, because the weight will turn in/out on you and you have to be able to hold it from turning too much. I've never done 1", but i'm going to try to find a bar for it.

Strack

I've never touched a 1" V-bar, but working with my IM loading pin as a V-bar is very effective. Hurts too.

Isn't a loading pin a 1" bar? I have never measured it but if it is not 1" I think it would be close. So what is the difference as far as the lift goes?

Wrist flexibility in ulnar deviation is a must and an asset for V-bar success.

-Jedd-

I think the Vbar would have a good carry over to those who throw the scottish hammer, it's a good way to practice a strong grip while relaxing your arms and shoulders.

There is surprisingly little correlation between the ability to close heavy grippers and v-bar lifting with a 1'' bar. Just look at the European results (and the LGC results). Not more correlation really than between v-bar and pinch or any other events contested. Moreover, there does not seem to be any particular hand morphology especially well suited to v-bar lifting with a 1'' bar. Kalle Lane is good at v-bar and so is Benny Wennberg and myself and we all have very different looking hands. Slender hands allow more pressure to be applied with the thumb but wider and thicker hands allow more skin surface (=more friction) to make contact with the bar.

In the limited playing around with v-bar I have done (just using loading pins as v-bars) I find I can lift more on the 2" bar than the 1", which doesn't seem right.

Is there some technique involved in maximising the amount of your hand surface you get on the bar? I saw a lot of hand positioning going on in videos of the European champs.

Most would pull more on a one inch v-bar (of the same surface texture) as the thumb would be in a better position to press on the first and/or second fingers.

That's interesting Mikael. The way I grip the bar, my thumb doesn't touch my index and middle finger hardly at all. I am hesitant to play with a new (to me) technique this close to the contest but my curiosity will likely get the better of me in tomorrows workout.

Isn't a loading pin a 1" bar? I have never measured it but if it is not 1" I think it would be close. So what is the difference as far as the lift goes?

V similar. Also a power rack pin (of the old kind where a 18-inch or so long bar was pushed all the way through the frame. That's the kind I use.

see here http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...cmd=si&img=1057

That looks like a very British pair of thighs in the background Mob!

100% Dorian Yates! :rolleyes

Health and Leisure plates as it goes and yes that's the front lat spread photo (poster size) of Dorian by Kevin Horton when he added a shed load of weight after winning his first Mr O.

That answers that. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Of course I'll still have to make one to play with sometime.

Well in a way, I believe the v-bar event will be the most highly desirable event to win at the GGC. This is the only event at this competition where the competitors can compare their results directly with those from the European competitions. There will be no excuse for not matching or exceeding Johan Albrektsson's 150k (295k in total), which gave him the victory in this event at the Europeans. Like most of the US guys, he does not own a LGC v-bar replica. The pressure is on. This is a mentally VERY challenging lift. If you are not ON on competition day it will show big time in this lift.