Why Can't I Climax?

MeatPlow

What is the cause of not being able to finish off bolts that have atleast 45 degree kinks or close to that? I have made some great grade 5 attempts over the past two weeks but could not finish the job. I mean I really strained until I was sick to my stomach. This evening I smoked the 6"x1/4" grade 5(silver one) down to what is shown in my gallery but then it was as if it hit a wall or like there was a brick wedged between the ends. Man this was major disappointing. I guess I am just going to do 3 weeks of volume and form practice and then try it again.

Last Thursday I bent a bunch of 60s and was really smoking them. I felt like I could do it this evening but just couldn't. Now I have to say this was after 20 minutes of full blast 2" thick bar Cleans and Presses with 165lbs. My forearms were pretty tired but still felt good and strong.

So any tips from any who are having the same problem or had it in the past?

Well, if you are having problems climaxing then try the female-dominant posi....uhh...i mean....um....Finishing off a bolt is a lot more chest strength than wrist strength IMHO. You could have strong wrists bt if your chest strength isn't up to par then it will probably be harder to crunch down a bolt.

MEAT

If you've got something between a 60d and a G5, like a really hard 60d, you might want to do some volume work with those. Not being able to crush down the remaining portion of a bend is a chest/shoulder/upper back weakness that is best brought up doing whatever Big Steve says!

I would also suggest using some pipes to bend a G5 to about 70 degrees and then chest crushing it. If you can do that, then bend one to 60 degrees and crush it. Then 55, 50, and 45. I did this with 5/16" CRS before I could bend a red and I think it helped me a lot in developing the strength to crush down tough stock.

Other things that give you the solid upper body strength to finsih the bend is bending and straightening a piece of 3-foot 1/2" HRS. Combine that with band pulling, and the carry over to bending is quite noticeable.

Besides that, nothing beats bending more sub-max nails.

I've noticed a huge difference in finishing grade 5's and 8's is that they bend much easier if they are hot, crush them very quickly after the first half of the bend and the metal is much softer. this is not nearly as important on 60d's. plus doing what the other guys have said to increase strength couldn't hurt.

Well if I can get to the point that I can interlace my fingers its a goner. Its the point thats shown in my pics. I tell you I think the idea Clay presented may help me quite a bit. I think thats also a good point in keep the steel warm during the bend. I don't have a #4 only a #3 but I could still use it for some higher rep work.

I should be able to get it done in a few weeks time and then on to a grade 8.

Buy a #4 it will get you through this. If you can't, tell me. I will send you something to train on that is higher than a #3. You don't need reps right now you need power. Reps will come.

MeatPlow, I've had good results with simply "trying" to crush the steel down. I'm not a big isometrics fan, but with my bending it has been invaluable. Of course as I'm straining my guts out trying to get the steel to move, I'm looking for little variations in grip and angle of force to increase my leverage. Just something to consider in addition to the other great advice you've received. And keep in mind that with grade 5s and 8s you're getting a very, very difficult crushdown phase, relative to other types of steel stock.

I've noticed a huge difference in finishing grade 5's and 8's is that they bend much easier if they are hot, crush them very quickly after the first half of the bend and the metal is much softer. this is not nearly as important on 60d's. plus doing what the other guys have said to increase strength couldn't hurt.

Exactly.

Meatplow, I was getting into a funk like yours where the crushdown wasn't working for me and I thought maybe I needed more padding because the pain of the crushdown was getting to me. The problem was I started stopping after the initial kink in old term style to fold the ends of my towel up for the crushdown. I would only stop for about 2 sec to do this, it was almost imperceptible, but I think it really effected my focus and allowed the steel to cool. Now I try and make the initial kink flow into the crush down without any pauses for readjustment. Even though I am crushing down now with less padding, the pain is less intense because I am able to remain much more focused and also the steel stays hot. Last night I put down a PR of 4 triangle grade 5s and the crushdown was the easiest part.

AP,

This may be the main problem for me also. I will do another week or so of higher volume working on my form working through the kink right into the crush down. If this don't help I'll buy a #4 and get some small pipes to go over the ends to go along with my sledge work.

Also I have to remember this is only my 4th week of bending so I have moved up pretty decent and shouldn't stress alot over it. Its just hard getting so close and not being able to finish the job.