What It Takes

hublifter

For all of you out there getting into harder 60ds and beyond, wondering what it takes to bend harder and harder steel, go to the Atomic Athletic site. Click on the Rogues Gallery and view the series of photos entitled "The Many Faces of Pat Povilaitis". What am I talking about? LOOK IN HIS EYES. There is a fire and intensity there that no words can describe. Even though he was performing at the AOBS dinner, the look in his eyes is no act. There has been plenty written about the necessity of an iron will and determination in reaching strength training goals. Pat Povilaitis is a living example of those words.

cool pics!

Yes, intensity is (almost) everything in Strength training.

Something I have learned, and which was very well illustrated by David Horne at the europeans.

Kaz was a prime strength example, medidate/focus/listen to bagpipes and then explode. Coan is the same. They said if a bomb went off in the gym Arnold would have been the only one still sitting there thinking about the next set. You've got to be intense, several ways to go about it, but you've got to get there in your mind.

Kaz was a prime strength example, medidate/focus/listen to bagpipes and then explode.

True, reading this comment reminded my of this article on Tom Black's site, paragraph 7 mentions his intensity/focus as he is preparing for a lift.

Do you guys think that this kind of intensity is something that someone can learn or are you just born with it?

Do you guys think that this kind of intensity is something that someone can learn or are you just born with it?

Born with, no way. You learn that. No matter what anyone can always do better than what they think they can. Everyone is different in terms of potential, but everybody can reach theirs if they really want to..

I think it's a little bit of nature, as well as nurture.

Any good recomendations for books or sites for improving your focus and intensity? It's an area I admittedly am lacking in.

You can't learn intensity in a book. It's a fire you have to stoke from within.

I suppose what I really need to work on is concentration. I always get nervous trying to block out a crowd and as such perform well below my PR when I'm at a contest or in front of a group.

Books you might like are Stronger Minds, Stronger Bodies by IronMind and The Warrior Athlete by Millman.

Check into the martial arts, isn't that part of their thing? I don't have that problem, always either get PRs or perform near that level at contests/in public. My problem would be getting the fire lit every day for just training, w/o a red bull. If I lived around some other guys, I'm sure my training would benefit.

I like this book for the mind / muscle link:

http://www.humankinetics.com/products/show...isbn=0736037535

Anyone can improve, but honestly, I'm of the belief that not just anyone can generate the extreme levels of intensity. Your perspective on life has to be a little crazy to be able to develop the ability to slip into that life or death attitude at the drop of the hat. There has to be some factor in your past, danger in your current world, or mental problem providing that drive.

I think that having the ability to turn up your intensity level to 10 at any time is something that every person is capable of. Intensity just seems like another emotion. That said, I guess some folks are more emotional than others. Just listen to any of the intense guys talk about their kids.

I think the ability to generate and use focus and concentration for a lift is probably distributed on a Bell curve just like most other things. A also think that some people can get too intense and are simply unable to handle/focus the emotions they generate.

One of my clearest memories from being a little kid is watching one of the WSM comps (mid-80's) and watching Kaz psyche up for a lift. Those eyes - they still cut through to me today. I always preferred Sigmarsson, but that is one memory I shall NEVER forget.

A most unnatural fear of failure provides me with lots of intensity. Also, if you want something with every fiber of your being, atleast some degree of intensity will follow. Most people just lack the necessary amount of desire to kindle the intensity. If missing a big lift ruins your entire day, you probably already have that do-or-die intensity within you.

Desire breeds intensity. Hey, that's pretty good, and I just made it up. ;):laugh

I used to think I was intense/trained intensely until I read the Joe Kinney section in the CoC book then I realized what intensity was.

One song that gets me to that level is "Meaning of Life" by Disturbed. Most of their songs are just so intense that it fires me up. Also "Droppin' Plates" is another one that I like.