Rating The Toughness

tmmicklabs

That's strongman's website, a longtime member of the board. He uses the same technique as I do, place the weight on a loading pin at the center of the bar and lift the bar. Keep adding weight until the bar bends. I stopped when the bar bent 1/4" and recorded the number, strongman may have bent the bars a little more. Results were simliar for known steel, like the Ironmind blue. I also have an article on my site showing the technique and a smaller number of results. Dr. Strossen mentioned at the dinner that he has tested their bars with the same technique, and I think he said that's how John Brookfield determines approximate ratings.

Tom, why do you choose to lift and hold the bar rather than supporting the nail some other way and then adding weights? Also are you still doing various forms of heavy onehanded deadlifting such as lifting with an iron ring handle?

Thanks for the info guys.

Looks like I am gonna have to take a trip to the hardware store.

Tom...what kinda nail should I get what would be equivelent to an Ironmind White ?

Oldguy, Really just convenience. I once tried to hang weight on one end of a nail secured into a 2x6. I hung an IM loading pin with 250 pounds attached off the head of the nail, a little scary and dangerous. Definitely not worth the trouble. I haven't been doing the one hand deadlifts recently, mostly grippers, pinching and levering.

Hmmm, Ironmind white…used to be 6”x¼” hot rolled steel, apparently they changed this, but I have not seen the latest bag myself. Still, ¼” hot rolled steel is a good starting point, even if IM has something easier.

Okay. Let me see if I got this right.

6 x 1/4

6 = six inches in length ?

1/4 = outside diameter ?

How much does something like this cost at a hardware store.

6" length x .250" diameter (cold roll steel).........I thought that this was more in line with the Ironmind Blue?

I thought that the White is a 7" length x 3/16" diameter of cold roll?

Tmmicklabs....a .250" bar is sold at Home Depot for, I believe, about $3.

You should also find the 3/16" material there, too.

Edited by Gripintime2

Gripintime2, I said hot rolled, not cold. I am really amazed IM switched to 3/16" steel, my guess is that they must have gotten comments that the original white was too hard. I find that hard to believe, I've had many guys bend the original 1/4"x6" hot rolled steel white bar.

tmmicklabs, you might want to buy a couple steel rods of different thicknesses (and a hacksaw blade). Just cut the rod down to a length that you can bend and progressively shorten the steel.

BTW, I like to cut the steel by holding the rod in one hand and the raw blade (no holder) in the other - works my hands this way! :D

Train smart!

Sorry, Tom. Hot rolled is easier than cold rolled. I didn't realize that the whites used to even be .250" dia.

No disrespect intended. :happy

Tom, you are right that it takes very little strength training to bend the new IM Blue nail (6"x1/4' HRS), it is amazing that it is equivalent to the old White nail! I wish they had included a few nails between the Blue and Red.

I assume that your measurement of the Blue was a new nail, and that is why you got the same value as Strongman?

Robert

Edited by RSW

I don't believe the old white nail was equivalent to the new blue nail, and a friend has an old bag o nails which I will compare next time I see him.

Everyone seems to throw out the terms HRS and CRS as if that automatically indicates toughness. It is actually much more dependent on the alloy than on the process. Now if you compare the same alloy HR vs. CR, then yes the CR is tougher. But if you have a tougher steel HR and a weaker steel CR the HR may in fact be tougher.

Forgive the exaggerated example that is coming, but a cold rolled Turd is easier to bend than hot rolled steel. Much the same way that there is no way to predict the toughness of a wrench by saying it is "forged". Forging is merely a process of forming material into a desired shape. You can forge some pretty soft crap to look like a wrench.

I would be surprised if Ironmind's nails were consistent in difficulty, and that the quality of the metal and it's characteristics were always the same.

Tom, you are right that it takes very little strength training to bend the new IM Blue nail (6"x1/4' HRS), it is amazing that it is equivalent to the old White nail!

Huh? I never said that! I don't even have the new IM blue. Old IM white is 1/4x6" HOT rolled. Old IM blue is cold and shiny looking, Carbon-40 steel (right out of Dr. Strossen's mouth). Old Ironmind red is some tough steel, that's for sure. I doubt that they have changed the steel in the red.

Terminator is right. In fact, I have some hot rolled 1/4" that's really close to cold rolled. I've even wondered if it was mismarked, but it looks like hot. Same thing with wrenches, huge varience.

Bender53 bent into a U one of my blue nails (just got the bag a few months ago) and he thought it was easier then the batch of 60-pennys he brought with him.

He did it spike bending style-and did not brace at all.

He did not try one of the reds though.

Rick Walker :rock

Bender53 bent into a U one of my blue nails (just got the bag a few months ago) and he thought it was easier then the batch of 60-pennys he brought with him.

My blue nails feel the same as 6"x1/4" HRS (Crown Bolt co., from home depot). I have not been able to find any 60p easier than my IM Blue.

Tom,

I wonder if your measurements are differing from Strongman's if the new Blue and the old are both giving 260lb. to bend. Or was it that your measurement was for a 1/4" bend and his was to U-shape?

My blue nails feel the same as 6"x1/4" HRS (Crown Bolt co., from home depot). I have not been able to find any 60p easier than my IM Blue.

Those are my findings too.

Well, now we are getting somewhere, it was the crown bolt HRS that I was referring to as stronger than typical HRS. If you try some different brands you will find HRS much weaker. It is the weaker HRS that was similiar to old IM white/green stock.

Can someone take a picture of the ironmind nails for me.

The pic on the ironmind online store website is really small.

I would also like to see a pic of a 60 penny nail.

I have the bag of nails and the white nail is nearly identical in strength and dimensions to 6"x3/16" HRS from crown bolt co. sold at home depot. The Green nail is the same as 5" of the same material.

I just purchased some 1/4" stock and once I can bend the yellow nail I'll compare that as well :)