Bandbell (bamboo) Bar

carl coffey

i was just wondering if anyone has/used, a bandbell bar like they use at westside barbell and include in their bench routiens..?

We made one using PVC pipe with 4" PVC on the ends.. We then hangs plates or KB's using bands. It isn't as reactive as the bamboo bar but definitely works. It will fry everything. Definitely helps build stabilizers and forces you to engage all parts.

I assumed that these were always for the stabilizers, but how do you do determine load with them. Percentage? I really can't see someone going for a max with these.

it's a rehab/prehab thing. I do them at the end of a pressing session for some sets of 20-25.

With our variation we usually work in the 15-25 range. But we've loaded it up to 365 for a couple of our stronger guys to hit a set of 6

Interesting... you said PVC. Would you consider actually cutting down a bamboo tree to length and using it?

the actual bamboo bar is fiberglass, not bamboo. just to be clear.

thanks guys :) i was thinking of doing that myself ( use a piece of pipe ) just to try out and see how it feels then maybe think of ordering myself one from westside, it does seem to be a piece of kit that is used on a regular basis in the westside template and gives results. thanks for your replys.

the actual bamboo bar is fiberglass, not bamboo. just to be clear.

Bamboo is pretty strong and flexibile though. There is a bamboo forest with some trees with a 3in diameter.

it's a rehab/prehab thing. I do them at the end of a pressing session for some sets of 20-25.

x2

Guest Squat More

Schedule 80 pvc pipe, about 3 different diameters that fit inside eachother, largest being 1.5" on the outside is the best bet, then a long enough diameter of a strong and somewhat flexible wood in the center - that is how I made mine. Also use bands to attach your weights, hell even using a regular barbell with bands pretty much does the same thing.

Schedule 80 pvc pipe, about 3 different diameters that fit inside eachother, largest being 1.5" on the outside is the best bet, then a long enough diameter of a strong and somewhat flexible wood in the center - that is how I made mine. Also use bands to attach your weights, hell even using a regular barbell with bands pretty much does the same thing.

we just used schedule 80 & duct taped it.. Lol..

Did you saw through the center like the real commercial bandell bars?

Guest Squat More

You mean to add bands? no, I just threw some athletic tape on the area where I would put my bands to keep them from sliding off.