How Did You Guys Found Out About Grippers?

Gripmasters

I wonder how everyone discovered about the grippers like Captains of Crush.

For myself, this is my story:

arround 1999 I was checking the internet, try to find some information about strongman Manfred Hoeberl. I found some info on some website telling me that he is a captain of crush. I thought... huh... what does it mean...

So after some more searching I found the website of Ironmind..... and that is were it all started....

In 2006 I tried to find some info about the Captains of Crush grippers, and that is why I stranded on youtube....

During this time from 1999 to 2006 I never found any person, in my gym and arround who ever heard of the captains of crush... so I was all alone in the dark...

I am curious if there are members here got into grip only because of youtube.... Because this will mean the gripworld will only become bigger and bigger....

Thats exactly the way I came to grippers.

I just wanted to figure out how he recovered from his bad car accident.

This is the exact same way... yes exactly, I was trying to find information about his car accident also! The only thing I can remember and I never found this on the Internet, I got it from TV. They showed him in the hospital and the dutch commentator was talking. He had a Mercedes SL, and he was driving with his girlfriend arround 180-200 km/hour against a tree!! His girlfriend died immediately. The doctors were stunned and amazed why he didn't die. Because of his extreme bodypower he survived and fractured his hip. If you have any more information please let me know!!

Im sure youtube has a lot to do with us getting more members , definately new exposure this way

A weightlifting buddy brought the #1 to the gym and that acted like a "gateway drug".

A friend from work who's a pro arm wrestler had a set of the HGs. Looked really fun. So i got myself a set. I would pick them up whenever I got the chance, becoming more and more addicted to them. One morning out of the blue I picked up the HG250 and clicked it easy. That was really surprising since it barely budged when I first got it. I became really curious as to whether I could close the 300 and 350 --and with regular, dedicated training. My friend also told me about the gripboard previously but it was only after I closed the 250 that I signed up to this board. Now I have the 2.5 and 3. On my second week of the KTA program. Real fun.

Oh yeah. Thanks for all the great info, especially on the extensor work and contrast baths!

Edited by jl5000

I was having the typical summer family barbeque in my backyard. My dad walks over to my brother and me and says, "Only one in ten thousand men can close this gripper (CoC #2) without training." He then hands it to my older, ever-weight-lifting brother, who was standing farther away from him than I was. You get the inference. My brother barely squeaks a close. Dad is estatic! My brother hands it back to my father. I felt like the quintessential younger sibling, I wanna try! I wanna try! I repped it three times. Confusion reigned. Of course, I am the quintessential younger sibling, and anything I can beat my older, stronger, more athletic brother at is a worthy pursuit.

I woke up one day and there they were :blush

I woke up one day and there they were :blush

Some cruel person might infer that senility was setting in, but luckily I'm too nice of a guy to bring it up.

I went to Dave Draper's Iron Online Bash in Santa Cruz in 2005. Two of the guys I met there were Greg Griffen and Wicked Willie. Greg had brought some grippers poolside one night and Wicked Willie was doing an impromptu grip clinic. Everyone was giving it a go so I did too. I got the #1 closed and took the #2 down far enough to get an "atta boy" from the group. It felt good and the thought of grip training lingered for about 6 mos. Then in June of 2006 I finally bought some grippers from Ironmind. I was a good 1/4" from the #2 to start. Registered here around the same time and got some ideas and training really took off!

I blame you guys, GREG and WICKED!!! :)

• Like 1

I wonder how everyone discovered about the grippers like Captains of Crush.

Sybersnott.

Me too! But I'm going to expand more :D

I got into weightlifting in freshmen year after quitting football and slowly I turned to BB.com. After reading around there for a while I ran into a thread discussing IM grippers and wrist rollers and whatnot. John Hicks was there and I started asking questions. First I got an IronWoody Gripper and started with that. Then John convinced me to get some IM grippers. I couldn't figure out why they would be better since the IW is the same thing but it's a thousand in one right? WRONG!! I got a #2 off of ebay and couldn't do anything with it but my dad could actually close it pretty far. I then got a trainer and a #1 and there was no turning back. I remember John sayiong he could buy a small island with what he spent on grip and I thought, how could that be possible? Now I probbaly have $2000 or so in grip equipment :D

Oddly enough I started grip training doing a few closes on the IW gripper and pinch holding 2-10s for time in commercial breaks while watching TV :laugh

Realized I had really strong wrists and hands (comparatively) when I played mercy a few times and no one could beat me at school. Searched around for grip stuff, found Heavy Grips first but read more and decided to get a CoC. Got a trainer and closed it alright, couple weeks later got a #1 closed it but barely and started training more seriously. Should be noted I had absolutely no weight training background at this time and went from not doing anything physical to doing grippers. Also started doing curls and some other things to strengthen my arms. Not surprisingly, after going from no physical training to overtraining I got hit with tendinitis pretty bad for a while. Been weight training and grip training since about january now. Also got me into armwrestling.

i couldn't tear a phone book in half, and i was missing deadlifts because of my grip. thankfully, i eventually stumbled upon the diesel crew website, learned all about grip, ordered a set of grippers (t, 1, 2 - couldn't even close the trainer initially) and here i am now.

i wanted to know how old strong men trained and i read in various articles that back in the old days the strong men would be more into lower arm strength then bicep or chest strength like we are today. i already had plastic nordic track grippers i got with these leg weights i bought when i was training to fight. so i started doing like hundreds of closes every day, and then finally i was talking about lower arm training on a MMA site that i frequent and the benefits in combat. another poster directed me here to find out the answers to my questions.

and here i am, almost a year since i first started training.

Great to read all these stories!

Hi. I am a climber so ive always known about the grippers from climbing magazines but somehow ive never bothered with them :( I wish ive tryed 15 years ago!

My story: I saw the movie "worlds strongest arms" 6-7 months ago with Magnus samuelsson and i was stoked instantly. I then recaled an old article in a climbing magazin about Stevie Haston where he claimed to be able to close the nr 3 and he was raving about the benefits for climbers and there grip. I ordered the T,1,1,5,2 to my school and waited inpatiently!

I closed then all the first session i tryed them, and now i can close the 3 from 40mm in a choker. It has also helped my climbing tremendously :D I will be a grip fanatic for as long i can...

I was in Iraq and during my training I was deadlifting 365lbs and just couldnt lift any more cause my hands was weak. So I thought man someone has to know how to train your hands to get stonger.. I looked on the net and found the Diesel Crew and read all there articles and watched all there videos and then got my first CoC Trainer and got hooked when my DL went up to 380lbs like nothing. Big thanks to Jedd and everyone at the Diesel Crew for awesome training info.

I have been interested in weights for a long time and happened upon the dragondoor website early 05, after hours upon hours of reading I read some endorsement of Ironmind and COCs, having a vorocious internet consumption..the GB wasnt far from being my staple daily home away from home while at home :blink . I first got an HG200 cause they were being sold locally and I didnt have a creditcard to buy from overseas, after a week I closed that with very bad technique and ordered a #3 with arrogance thinking it would be not that hard...got the #3 and cried into my drink afterwards...lol. Then ordered an hg300 which I couldnt shut either. I sorta gave up grippers for a while doing some pinch and hubbing but mainly just gym work..then I moved to aussie hooked up with some grip guys about a year ago and got back into grippers and can shut a bbsm right and my easy hg300 left, closed a chokered 3 a few times and still learning, organised a comp, been in a few and always finding inspiration on this board...I have even touched an inch, lol, how many new zealanders could say the same? :rock

Brendan