Today's Training At Mobster's

CoC#3

Well, as promised i met viper this morning, and as agreed, we both went to Mobster's place for a session. This was of course, after an 9 hour all nighter at work and a 4hr train journey because of delays. Nothing strange for British Rail, and therefore viper was left waiting at the station on his own for a while. We arrived at Mobster's a bit after 10am.

grippers

We had a chat about grippers and the usual 'my #3 is harder than your #3 stuff', ha ha. warmups included some extensor work to get the blood flowing for me and the other lads did some lighter gripper closes. I think viper warmed up with the #1 and the #2, clicking both these for many reps. By this stage i knew he was a strong dude and that the doubters on here are going to be silenced. As per the other thread, i agreed that if viper showed he was 'for real' - which i personally have always thought he was - and closed a #3.5 as claimed i would pay for his train journey.

Then viper's #3 came out, i managed 10 reps with that inverted LH and a few easy clciks right hand. Still for warmups. This gripper is not as hard as my #3s, but would rate harder than the 2.96 gripper used at the British. Viper closed this for a few easily aswell. Mobster got it with his LH for a few and easily did some wide set reps RH. So basically, this #3 gave none of us any trouble. Soon after i succeeded in doing a TNS close of this #3 with my LH and a CCS close with my RH. This is the first time i have CCSed a #3 with the RH. (vids later, need time to upload). So, our hands nicely warmed up the bigger grippers came out....

Viper #3.5. Nice gripper, hard at the close. Not too hard a sweep though. I took it down to around 4mm with the RH, but couldn't finish it. Mobster closed it RH and Viper missed it by about 2-3mm. I then closed it inverted LH easily without much of a set. You can't really 'set' inverted anyway. I held it shut for 5 secs. No video here unfortunately bnut witnessed by Mob.

Then onto my #4. My first attempt was aweful, maybe 5mm or so. Bit closer 2nd time around. Mob was getting it closer than me. Then we did braced closes with it, i managed to close it in this manner on 1 out of 2 tries, the other was a hair off. Viper came up short by about 8-9mm on my #4.

Viper did 2 parallel reps with my RB300 that i rate at 3.5. Narrowly missed the 3rd. I would say this dude has potential to shut the #4 in the enar future. Next year at the british, maybe not, but if he keeps focused it's not too far off.

Back onto viper's #3 and i did more TNS closes with it and a few more reps. Viper showed his ability to rep a #3 here with 10 parallel reps.

I closed Mob's #3 - hardest #3 i have ever tried. I think this makes it to about 12 different #3s i have shut.

thick db

Highlights here as i can't remember too much:

Mob lifting the inch and some massive plate loaded DBs.

Viper getting air on the inch.

Me juggling the baby inch, and clean and pressing it (vid has been taken of this)

other stuff

everyone of us easily bent a blue nail in IM pads and i kinked a grade 5. I'll get that G5 soon.

we all lifted the blob

Then back on the train home, jounrye home was a nightmare i wanted to get some kip but couldn't get a seat lol, was all full. Ended up chatting to a nice bird though ;) ha ha ha

And i'm not gonna get any sleep til tomorrow cos it's back to work in 2 hours!

HIGHLIGHTS

VIPER is for real. Strong guy. Easily able to become a certified COC now. He would close the MM1 and MM2 now aswell, and get the MM3 close IMO. I think he'll close the #4 one day. No more doubters here please. Though he failed on the #3.5 by a small amount and had to pay for his own fare ha ha i gave him one of my hard #3s for his effort.

MOBSTERONE is a legend, a very strong athlete. Very impressed mate.

VIDS will be uploaded soon so please be patient! :)

Edited by CoC#3

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CoC#3

• mobsterone

• twig

• egg_uk

impressive work with little or no sleep, sounds like next years british championships are going to be awesome, thinkn im definitely going to try and make it up to watch.

Great read! I guess viper's technique of using straps on even his warmup deadlifts to save his grip for later really did work out well!!! :upsidedwn

Cool to know you're all getting so strong. You said mobster got closer than you on your #4... how much closer then, if you go it to 4mm? .. And did he use a paralle set or a tad wider?

I got closer on the braced closes (1 of which touched), I think Mob's best attempt on the #4 with a wider than parallel set was about 2-3mm off. With the braced closes we both used about a 1.5'' set, only difference is i had the gripper held inverted. This in itself makes Mob's closes more 'valid' and therefore more impressive.

My CCS of that #3

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZJ4DI2Rw8A

Under the assumption that the videos are forthcoming, I will gladly have crow for supper. I hear they taste just like chicken. :mosher

We probably did Viper a favor by forcing his hand. Now he has met two of the grip kings and it

should benefit his training in the future.

we all lifted the blob

Nice work with the grippers :mosher

An orignal York blob or a blob50?

20kg blob from heavygrip tools.

Same width as the 50 (i think), a little lighter.

vids of viper and Mob repping the #3 are uploading right now, as is a vid of me doing a TNS close of this #3 with my LH.

there are no vids of the #4 work, sorry. Nor are there any vids of the #3.5 closes. Next time.

the inch DB stuff was on Mob's camera

Nice write up there Sam. You all did well and I know for sure now that viper has a great potential, same as you Sam! Well done guys! It's not a shame to miss the #3,5 by that little as viper did, the absolute peak strength just isn't there every day. (I am trying to close a #3,5 tomorrow in a Finnish grip comp and I really can't be sure if I will be able to do that) I also think you guys took too hard warmups with that #3. Well as for Gardener we all know what he can do, amazing stuff!

Once again, great work all around everyone.

20kg blob from heavygrip tools.

Same width as the 50 (i think), a little lighter.

Big difference there. The 20kg Blob is more compareable the the 40 pound Blob from York.

Ah ok. That 50lb must be flippin' hard to lift. I don't think anyone has ever lifted the 25kg from heavygrip tools? I may be wrong though?

Thanks everyone for the comments. The lads did well. I did ok on the grippers ( i was pleased with my sweep today aswell as shutting the #3.5) but to be honest i was well below par on everything else. I have also lost lots of size and total body strength.

Nice

Viper Could have saved yourself a journey if you got a decent vid last week,

Goodluck for the strongman comp hopefully I will be going to watch

I liked the mobster's reps videos, the angle of that video was pretty cool to watch.

Mobster mentioned in his blog that you (CoC #3) have a lot of space between thumb and index finger.... maybe that is why you're stronger in inverted closes?

I got closer on the braced closes (1 of which touched), I think Mob's best attempt on the #4 with a wider than parallel set was about 2-3mm off. With the braced closes we both used about a 1.5'' set, only difference is i had the gripper held inverted. This in itself makes Mob's closes more 'valid' and therefore more impressive.

My CCS of that #3

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZJ4DI2Rw8A

AWESOME CLOSE , Look forward to seeing your name on the COC #3 list.