• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGuy

• jad

• BulletTooth

• Davekline

What are you guys going to fill your's with to make it weigh 50 lbs? I priced lead shot today and it was $15.99 for a 10 lb bag. While this is still an awesome idea, if nothing but lead will give you the 50lbs, it's certainly no longer a cheap alternative($14-$20 for the pvc caps, ??dollars for the center piece, and app. $80 for the shot). You could easily put $100 into one. Any suggestions from anyone???? I think I'm just going to install a J-hook on mine and use a loading pin for weight. No disrespect to Dave as it's still genious I'm just stuck on what to fill it with to give me the 50lbs.

thanks guys, I'll definetly have to shop around for some cheaper lead shot.

Yeah, gee... THANKS A LOT DAVE!!!   :angry:

Are you trying to put me out of business??  Well. anyone STILL interested in a real blob - please email me!  Thanks!

Your friendly blob distributor about to go belly-up,

Sybersnott

This is OFF topic and detracts from Dave's post. This is the equipment forum NOT the selling forum!

I am leaving this up rather than deleting it to give an example of what detracting from the original post is.

A joke about blobs in a topic talking about blobs is NOT off-topic!

Bill, can't you recognize the joke there?? And I was making a joke BTW... :dry

I got it, how about calling it "the aspirin"

that's certainly what it reminds me of, a giant aspirin, haha..

Where are you guys getting the 6" PVC pipe? The smallest/cheapest I can find is a 10' pipe for $22. :blink

Maybe I just need to split one with 39 other guys…

The 6" inch refers to the diameter not length

Sorry, that's what I meant. The shortest/cheapest piece of 6" diameter PVC pipe I can find is $22 for a 10 foot long pipe. Since I only need a 3" long piece I'm hesitant to pay that much money for something and throw away 39/40 of it.

You could use the remaining legth for several projects. A mellon cannon comes to mind. Think of a potato gun, only sized to fire cantelopes.

Or you could cut lengths and send them to fellow board members for a small fee to cover your cost.

BT, the employees at HD have cut pvc for me before. Just find an older, friendly employee and tell him you only need a short peice.

BT, the employees at HD have cut pvc for me before. Just find an older, friendly employee and tell him you only need a short peice.

The Home Depot's here sell by the foot but they only carry PVC up to 4" in diameter. Lowe's has 6" diameter but the minimum length is 10'.

Or you could cut lengths and send them to fellow board members for a small fee to cover your cost.

If I don't come up with something else, that's exactly what I'll do. Does anybody else need a piece??

Got some! I talked to a friend who works for a pool company and he found a 4 foot piece lying around the shop and he gave it to me.

Does anybody else still need a piece? You can have one for free if you pay shipping or I'll trade for a few yellow, blue or red IronMind nails.

:rockThanks for the GREAT idea Dave!!! :rock

:rock I guess that means you're jacked up in Jacksonville. :rock To quote the pro wrestler Diamond Dallas Page.

Although I am not realy a blob person myself, I do think there are plenty of good ideas on this thread.

Here are the official names for the PVC loadable blobs.

4 inch = Asprin

6 inch = Excederine

8 inch!!! = Tums :rock

Thanks for all of the ideas presented in this thread. I will be making a 4" and 6" blob as soon as I have the materials in hand.

I had a tough time as well. Ive got a a place close buy ordering the materials but it might take a few weeks. If anyone made an extra one Ill buy it from you. Anyone see how much weight there pulling on it yet?

I went ahead and drilled a 1 inch hole in mine and placed a steel bar through it, placed spacers on either end and can load it to whatever I want ..Works great. The spacers allow me to put weights on each end and still get my fingers around the darn thing. It weighs about 10 pounds empty.....Brett

I think that using a hook through the bottom of the Morton blob would work, but the starting position would be higher and it might not feel like a true “blob” lift from the floor. I think instead that ½” or larger bolt could be placed on the bottom of the Morton blob and weights could be attached. All you would need for the smaller bolts (like a ½”) is a washer wide enough to cover the standard plate sized hole.

On the other hand, I just now see a problem with this idea in that you would be dropping the weight right down onto the bolt! Could create a thread problem. Well, I’ll throw the idea out for further refinement. :blush Maybe two bolts could be placed on the bottom of each side facing out (not down).

One more thing, it seems logical that filling this blob with most types of metal (e.g. copper, lead, steel) would be heavy enough since the volume is nearly the same as the original blob (except for the PVC wall thickness).

I tried BulletTooth's version yesterday with a hook at the bottom, and it felt good, but it wasn't the same as picking it up off the floor and having the weight centered in your hand.

I'm thinking about filling mine (one I get the caps, etc.) with iron fillings from a key maker. I think that would be about right.

Has anyone got a pic of one of these PVC blobs they have made?

I painted the PVC blob with textured black paint and it turned out great! The dimensions are remarkably similar to the real thing. Instead of filling it, I put an eye bolt on it so I can use it with a loading pin.

http://GlockFAQ.com/hold/PVCBlob1.jpg

http://GlockFAQ.com/hold/PVCBlob2.jpg