Blobs For Everyone

dave

i recently thgouht bout this and finally made one today.

u need three things from lowes/home depot or local plumbin supply.

2 6" caps 7-10$ each

1 6" pvc pipe by 3" dunno cost, got mine free

the caps come and are bout 4" long on the coupler side. you cut off 2" of this. insert the 6" by 3" long piece between the two cut caps.its an exact blob size thingy. same curve and everything.dont glue it, or only glue one end and you can open it up and add weight. can add texture with file or whatever or leave it slick and add to the PO factor

pics in my gallery in couple minutes

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGuy

• jad

• BulletTooth

• Davekline

just made it, aint tried it yet. its same size, curveature and everything as the real blob, but slick!

Dave I have had one similar to this made for a while. It was a little more than a year ago when I first made it. Your right it is slippery as all hell. I roughed it up but the poundage used is still next to nothing for me. I let Jeff Peterson and Brian Carlton play with it at a contest last August and they both said no one would pulling 50 on it.

This is one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time. You da man. I can't wait to hit Lowe's tommorrow.

Good idea Dave! I was just pounding some sheet metal into a couple different forms today looking for that right curve and size, but this takes a lot of the work out for me! I wonder if you could get the same textured feel by scratching the gripping surface with sandpaper or wrapping part of it in athletic tape?

Yeah, gee... THANKS A LOT DAVE!!!  :angry:

Are you trying to put me out of business??  Well. anyone STILL interested in a real blob - please email me!  Thanks!

Your friendly blob distributor about to go belly-up,

Sybersnott

This is OFF topic and detracts from Dave's post. This is the equipment forum NOT the selling forum!

I am leaving this up rather than deleting it to give an example of what detracting from the original post is.

Incredible idea! And several blobs of varying widths can be made so that someone could work up to the full size!

So what's everyone going to fill this new blob with? Bent nails? sand? bbs? I'm half-tempted to cut a slot in the top and make it a bank :D

How many pennies does it take to make it 50#?

Try also taking the shine off the PVC and making it feel as much like cast iron as possible. Painting it with flat black paint such as plates are painted with might help. It could have a removable fill plug installed.

I don't know exactly but the volume would be bigger than a blob. To give you an idea, I have a quart plastic jar full I was using for a block weight and it held 11lbs.

Try also taking the shine off the PVC and making it feel as much like cast iron as possible. Painting it with flat black paint such as plates are painted with might help. It could have a removable fill plug installed.

Also, you could distress the surface of the PVC with Nail dents all over to resemble the

small casting pits in the iron, then sand to level that feels close to a cast metal blob.

It should hold up pretty well as the PVC won't rust and handling should not wear the texture down.

I made one tonight, although I used flat caps instead of the dome type (didnt have any) any way it is about same size as a 50lb hex. Going to drill a 1 inch hole through it towards the bottom and add a steel bar to add weight to. By drilling towards the bottom I can add 5lb plates without getting into the pinch surface I tried fill and you just cant get enough in it.....well see how it works...By the way great idea, thank you for sharing...Brett

Awesome idea. I can't believe I failed to think of it. After all I have the endcaps just laying around!!

My website was updated today...

Edited by apdwler

163 pennies= app. 1lb, so about 8150 or $81.50.

If someone has enough free time, they can figure out how many pennies a blob would contain, perhaps using the measurements in the FAQ and this website:

http://mathforum.org/elempow/solutions/sol....ehtml?puzzle=4.

BTW, this is an elementary school math site.

The only way to get a lot of weight into a PVC blob would be to add lead shot. I think that one filled with coins would not weigh much.

The one I have would weigh plenty loaded with coins.

This is the coolest idea in a long time :rock I'm definitely going to ahve to go to Home Depot ASAP. I'm not too familiar working with PVC - I assume a hacksaw works to cut it - and do they sell special glue for it? Forgive me - I've just never done much plumbing work...

Also, has anyone tried filling it with BBs or steel shot? There's a Sports Authority near Home Depot - I might stop by there after...

Thanks for the awesome idea, Dave :rock

Ianders, yea a hacksaw will do the job fine, it won't be too pretty, but it will work.

And yes they do sell a special kind of glue for pvc, allthough im not sure that you will need it.

Also you could use 8" PVC pipe to achieve a lot more volume which would allow you to use even more weight. Now if I could just get my hands on some 8" PVC....

As I said when Dave mentioned this idea to me a couple weeks ago, PURE GENIUS! :rock

Edited by Sean Dockery

And so what should this excellent piece of equipment be called?

The dm blob?

the dob?

the mob?

the morton blob?

I figure if this thing becomes real popular and a standard training tool, it would help to have a standard name to add to our vernacular.