Certs on grippers for men - where do they start?

Alex K

I have a friend who's working towards closing a 2.5 right now, and I feel like it's an awesome boost if you have a cert you're striving towards (apart from personal PRs). To me, the GHP8 and CoC#3 certs do the job, really focusing on getting the strength necessary to do those right now. The "lightest" certifications that I know of are probably the MM0 which can theoretically be done with an easier #3 or GHP7 somewhere in the high 130s or low 140s, and of course the GHP7 block set cert which comes after that. Which is why I wanted to ask - are there any certs or similar events that are well suited for people who are in that 100-130 RGC range? 🤔 

• Like 4

Armlifting Greece: Olympian gripper cert is in the 135lb rgc average range

Edited by Ryroza
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Ryroza said:

Armlifting Greece: Olympian gripper cert is in the 135lb rgc average range

I could be wrong but I think that has to be done no set?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nuttgens said:

I could be wrong but I think that has to be done no set?

Just checked their site rules out, your right about no set.  this cert might not be light enough for his friend.

• Like 4

CPW is almost done with a list we are pretty excited about. I think we’re going to call it Cannon PowerList. There will be special custom grippers rated from 50 to 220 lbs, every 10 pounds. You can get on the list for as many levels as you like, or just one. There won’t be a sign-up, per se, but rather a product like the Pre-rated section that lists all the grippers. If the one you want is in stock, that means you can request it. It will come with everything you need to attempt and also return packaging and label. It will start as domestic only to work the kinks out and we would hope to open it up International. Coming soon! (Hopefully 😅

• Like 23

29 minutes ago, Cannon said:

CPW is almost done with a list we are pretty excited about. I think we’re going to call it Cannon PowerList. There will be special custom grippers rated from 50 to 220 lbs, every 10 pounds. You can get on the list for as many levels as you like, or just one. There won’t be a sign-up, per se, but rather a product like the Pre-rated section that lists all the grippers. If the one you want is in stock, that means you can request it. It will come with everything you need to attempt and also return packaging and label. It will start as domestic only to work the kinks out and we would hope to open it up International. Coming soon! (Hopefully 😅

Now that's amazing. Sounds like an incredible idea! 🤩 One more reason to travel to the US for a bit haha

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There is a Monster Hunter gripper or Super Six certification event in Silvis Korea. It's hard to find now

😓

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Alexander Koss said:

Now that's amazing. Sounds like an incredible idea! 🤩 One more reason to travel to the US for a bit haha

We’re thinking 70 mm block set. 

jkjkjkjk 😜

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Cannon said:

We’re thinking 70 mm block set. 

jkjkjkjk 😜

Hahaha that would be scary as hell. But in actuality, what setting distance or technique are you considering for the cert?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Alexander Koss said:

Hahaha that would be scary as hell. But in actuality, what setting distance or technique are you considering for the cert?

I actually kind of like 30 mm. I think we will have a custom block machined that comes along in the package. Or maybe a block that you get to keep. I’m not sure yet. I really want to keep the cost of this as low as possible. 

Part of me wants to do no block so it’s just about the gripper and nothing else. Like, did you close it or not? Of course those are slightly harder to judge. But this list will not be super strict. If you have noticed I’ve been careful to call it a list and not a certification. We are all just trying to have fun 😊 There will be rules of course but I don’t wanna get too wrapped up in red tape. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

I actually kind of like 30 mm. I think we will have a custom block machined that comes along in the package. Or maybe a block that you get to keep. I’m not sure yet. I really want to keep the cost of this as low as possible. 

Part of me wants to do no block so it’s just about the gripper and nothing else. Like, did you close it or not? Of course those are slightly harder to judge. But this list will not be super strict. If you have noticed I’ve been careful to call it a list and not a certification. We are all just trying to have fun 😊 There will be rules of course but I don’t wanna get too wrapped up in red tape. 

After a few years, you can add in the 5s in between the steps of 10 RGC.  And then by 2100, ratings will be more precise and there will be a gripper for every pound ...

• Haha 1

Sounds like fun , I would give it a try.

On 7/30/2022 at 9:55 PM, Alexander Koss said:

I have a friend who's working towards closing a 2.5 right now, and I feel like it's an awesome boost if you have a cert you're striving towards (apart from personal PRs). To me, the GHP8 and CoC#3 certs do the job, really focusing on getting the strength necessary to do those right now. The "lightest" certifications that I know of are probably the MM0 which can theoretically be done with an easier #3 or GHP7 somewhere in the high 130s or low 140s, and of course the GHP7 block set cert which comes after that. Which is why I wanted to ask - are there any certs or similar events that are well suited for people who are in that 100-130 RGC range? 🤔 

Armlifting Greece also has the 300lbs gripper which can be closed starting from a parallel set without a block or card. These grippers range a bit above 130lbs. I think mine is 135 or so. 

• Like 2

On 7/31/2022 at 7:09 AM, Cannon said:

This sounds great. I’m looking forward to this 👍🏻

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2022 at 5:31 PM, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Armlifting Greece also has the 300lbs gripper which can be closed starting from a parallel set without a block or card. These grippers range a bit above 130lbs. I think mine is 135 or so. 

Does it have to be done straight out of the package or just in training? The Armlifting Greece grippers look really nice from what I've seen (I think some of them are colored), just the shipping of course is crazy to the USA. I was curious if CPW would end up vendoring any at some point.

Also super excited for the CPW challenge list coming up! I would be plenty happy using something about the size of a GHP block as it's a nice average between MMS & CCS

Are you planning on using Standard grippers for it or just whatever fits the every 10 lbs RGC?

Also, I think GHP7 is a really great & fair entry level cert, good rules etc, I'm curious why the list is so small. I did notice one inconsistency on the leaderboard is that the top 3 spots have multiple people tied for the same place, however in the full leaderboard there are no ties for the same # reps on the same level gripper - you get ranked higher based off doing the same feat at a sooner date, which is an interesting way to do things, I guess maybe that's easier than having a million people tied for the same spot on the list? Either way it's pretty cool to be on that board in general.

Edited by C8Myotome
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

Are you planning on using Standard grippers for it or just whatever fits the every 10 lbs RGC?

We are having custom grippers made. Handles will basically be Standard handles though. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

Does it have to be done straight out of the package or just in training? The Armlifting Greece grippers look really nice from what I've seen (I think some of them are colored), just the shipping of course is crazy to the USA. I was curious if CPW would end up vendoring any at some point.

Also super excited for the CPW challenge list coming up! I would be plenty happy using something about the size of a GHP block as it's a nice average between MMS & CCS

Also, I think GHP7 is a really great & fair entry level cert, good rules etc, I'm curious why the list is so small. I did notice one inconsistency on the leaderboard is that the top 3 spots have multiple people tied for the same place, however in the full leaderboard there are no ties for the same # reps on the same level gripper - you get ranked higher based off doing the same feat at a sooner date, which is an interesting way to do things, I guess maybe that's easier than having a million people tied for the same spot on the list? Either way it's pretty cool to be on that board in general.

They are not tied. If you look in the list in PDF you can see they all have their own placing.

However #2 & #3 should be tied since they did it the same day together.

Also, #4 is the hardest GHP9 closed with the block set.

I don't know the rating of Shamey and Holle's grippers but I don't think they are above 216 lbs.

As why there's not so many on the list I can think of one reason right away. It's really tedious to film these with measuring and all, nothing should leave the frame etc. I personally don't like to do this. I did the GHP7 five years ago but I didn't bother to submit it because I was never happy with how the videos turned out. Although it would've passed 100% I just didn't like how it turned out, so I never bothered.

That could be one reason, then GHP grippers are not as well known as Ironmind. They are not as known around the world as IM are. Not easy to get unless you want to pay a lot for just one gripper. Buying a GHP gripper if you're not in the USA is very expensive. I end up paying like 60-70$ for one rated gripper. That's another reason.

Then I also know people who can close the GHP7 and 8 but they simply don't want to cert because they don't want to be in place 70 or whatever it would be. They would only do it if they would be very high up on the list. So for some people that's also a reason.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

I was curious if CPW would end up vendoring any at some point.

Are these not another variation of the 100-150-200-250-300-350 springs format? There really are very few brands that aren’t. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Are these not another variation of the 100-150-200-250-300-350 springs format? There really are very few brands that aren’t. 

I have no idea I just like colored handles and already have all the grip genies LOL. Eh maybe they're not as interesting as I thought in that case

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2022 at 4:16 AM, C8Myotome said:

Sorry about the huge delay, the Armlifting Greece 300lbs can be done anytime you manage to do it and it starts from a parallel set. They offer the Olympian gripper which rates from 115 to 130lbs judging from the 3 I own. These need to be closed with TNS style. One hand close. And as soon as you open it. They're a bit lighter than most unrated 300lbs grippers if that helps. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 7/31/2022 at 8:09 AM, Cannon said:

Just seeing this now, after @C8Myotome mentioned it.

Is this still going to be happening @Cannon?

Sounds epic! I'd be all-in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jared P said:

Just seeing this now, after @C8Myotome mentioned it.

Is this still going to be happening @Cannon?

Sounds epic! I'd be all-in.

Also posted in Derek's log: Tom was ALLLMOST done with these grippers when he passed :cry I have all the parts and I'm trying to figure out how to finish them. They still need some engraving for example. I really want to get this cert out there. I think any kind of set will be allowed with the minimum being visually parallel like the Mash Monster Cert. But if you want to do 20mm, 30mm, 1.5", credit card, no set, anything... go for it. Then on the list for anyone who closed a certain level, it will have their name and set used like Matt Cannon (parallel set). And also you will be able to link to the video so you can just see what they did.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

Also posted in Derek's log: Tom was ALLLMOST done with these grippers when he passed :cry I have all the parts and I'm trying to figure out how to finish them. They still need some engraving for example. I really want to get this cert out there. I think any kind of set will be allowed with the minimum being visually parallel like the Mash Monster Cert. But if you want to do 20mm, 30mm, 1.5", credit card, no set, anything... go for it. Then on the list for anyone who closed a certain level, it will have their name and set used like Matt Cannon (parallel set). And also you will be able to link to the video so you can just see what they did.  

Would you also rank by set? So if 2 guys are at 150 the one with the wider set is in top? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stranger said:

Would you also rank by set? So if 2 guys are at 150 the one with the wider set is in top? 

Sure, I was thinking about that too. 

• Like 2