Wrist Wrench or similar device

IROC-Z

Couple questions for those who train with a Wrist Wrench or similar tool.  Are you using these in place of your normal thick bar training or are you using them more as a finishing type movement at the end of your other thick bar stuff?  I just picked up a 2 3/8" wrench as a Christmas gift to myself and I'm still debating on where/how I want to fit it into my training.  I just recently started back up with some thick bar after a lengthy struggle with elbow tendonitis, and I'm currently alternating between axle DL's and revolving handle DL's every other Friday.  No singles, just rep work.  I was thinking about adding in some singles with the wrench at the end my Friday workouts.  Any thoughts or advice?  Also, what's a decent weight to lift on one of these as I've never tried one before?  Thanks!

• Like 2

Well, since nobody chimed in on this, I went ahead and played around with the wrench today after I trained the 2.5" Crusher.  My plan was to start with 82.5 lbs. and work up from there.  I did 3 singles with each hand at 82.5, but it felt so awkward that I decided to leave it at that for today.  A couple things I learned in the first workout. #1 - I don't think it's worthwhile to try to do reps on the wrench, this thing is best used for singles.  #2 - I kind of feel like this thing would probably be better suited to be used when a person is fresh, rather than trying to use as a finisher like I did today.  I'll probably swap the wrench in place of my crusher work for a while and see how that goes.  I'll do axle one week and wrench the next week.  Happy New Year!

• Like 1

Happy New Year as well. Not used one myself have read a ton of stuff on them for arm lifts I would say singles Jedd Johnson mentions it with inch dumbell training as it really tries to open the thumb more than a revolving handle would. I guess you could work it in with maybe your none revolving handle dead lift workout as a finisher. If you have had a few niggles with elbow tendonitis it could be too much. Will be interesting to see how your workouts progress it's a great Christmas gift to have.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2021 at 10:53 PM, IROC-Z said:

Well, since nobody chimed in on this, I went ahead and played around with the wrench today after I trained the 2.5" Crusher.  My plan was to start with 82.5 lbs. and work up from there.  I did 3 singles with each hand at 82.5, but it felt so awkward that I decided to leave it at that for today.  A couple things I learned in the first workout. #1 - I don't think it's worthwhile to try to do reps on the wrench, this thing is best used for singles.  #2 - I kind of feel like this thing would probably be better suited to be used when a person is fresh, rather than trying to use as a finisher like I did today.  I'll probably swap the wrench in place of my crusher work for a while and see how that goes.  I'll do axle one week and wrench the next week.  Happy New Year!

Hey man. Happy new year, you have posted this in workout logs not the main forum. Thats probably why you havent had any replies. 

I recently made a 60mm wrist wrench so ive only used it once but  its not a replacement for thick bar. 

Its really just another tool. Great for wrist and thumb i found. 

For thick bar work i like to use a "holle it up" offset handle 60mm thick bar. It replicates the rotation of the inch db. Its worked wonders for my thumb strength.

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback and advice guys, I really appreciate it!

Played around with the wrench again today after my axle workout.  Bumped it up to 85 lbs. and that felt pretty tough.  Did three singles with each hand.  This is definitely the most awkward feeling grip implement I've ever tried.  I can see where it really strengthens the thumbs, though.  After a couple workouts with the wrench, I tend to agree with what was stated above - it is not a replacement for thick bar training.  I'm thinking I will just continue to use this device as a finisher at the end of my other thick bar stuff.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IROC-Z said:

Thanks for the feedback and advice guys, I really appreciate it!

Played around with the wrench again today after my axle workout.  Bumped it up to 85 lbs. and that felt pretty tough.  Did three singles with each hand.  This is definitely the most awkward feeling grip implement I've ever tried.  I can see where it really strengthens the thumbs, though.  After a couple workouts with the wrench, I tend to agree with what was stated above - it is not a replacement for thick bar training.  I'm thinking I will just continue to use this device as a finisher at the end of my other thick bar stuff.

85lbs is very strong. 100lbs is elite so you are doing well. 

Yes train it as a supplement to thick bar. It a real tough move.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

85lbs is very strong. 100lbs is elite so you are doing well. 

Yes train it as a supplement to thick bar. It a real tough move.

Thank you sir!  Just from the feel of this thing, I'm thinking 100 lbs. would be real tough.  One of these days I'm going to give it a try when fresh, just to see how much of a difference that makes in the difficulty of this lift. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mfin77 said:

Strong. Can u lift the inch?

Thanks!  The heaviest Inch style globe DB I own is 150 lbs.  I can lift that fairly easy, but I'm guessing that a 172 lb. Inch is probably out of my reach.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, IROC-Z said:

Thanks!  The heaviest Inch style globe DB I own is 150 lbs.  I can lift that fairly easy, but I'm guessing that a 172 lb. Inch is probably out of my reach.

Depends on how you lift the 150 lb inch. If you're doing it 100% strict, with no tilt and no bracing against the back globe with your hand, you might be able to lift a full size inch if you use tilt technique.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, IROC-Z said:

Didn't you get big air on mine?

6 hours ago, Allen Heineck said:

Didn't you get big air on mine?

I got it to about knee height or just under that.  That's the last time I tried a 172 lb. Inch.  That was a fun day! 

• Like 1