High reps routine for supporting and pinch grip

Alex0204

Hello.

Trying to improve my crushing and pinch strength with high reps routine.

My trainig routine both with crusher and pinch blocks: 1st set - 65%1PM for 20 reps, 2nd set - 75%1PM for 15 reps, 3rd set - 80-85% for 10 reps.

I heard than Laine Snook trained in way like this (but 1-2 high reps sets with the crusher). 

What do you think about my routine?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Alex0204

4 hours ago, Alex0204 said:

Hello.

Trying to improve my crushing and pinch strength with high reps routine.

My trainig routine both with crusher and pinch blocks: 1st set - 65%1PM for 20 reps, 2nd set - 75%1PM for 15 reps, 3rd set - 80-85% for 10 reps.

I heard than Laine Snook trained in way like this (but 1-2 high reps sets with the crusher). 

What do you think about my routine?

Thanks in advance.

Hey! 

Your training routine sounds good! You may add some pounds for both movements each week, but eventually you will have to raise the level of intensity. How often do you do it? Did you just started a new training cycle? 

You could also include holds for time. As a personal experience, they help a lot with rolling handle tools, and reps work really well for pinching. Try both and check how it works for you!

Crush = Closed hand strength, which you train with grippers primarily.

Crusher = A rolling handle made by FBBC which you train supporting/open hand strength with (not to be confused with crushing strength).

As far as your programming goes, try it. Only way for you to find out if it works or not. You need to progressively work your way up with the weights, that's all, there's many ways you can do this. Your cycle looks very short, so you might need to do it several times before you can move up in weights.

High reps worked very well for me. I by no means strong, but high reps 5-10 on the Saxon bar helped me take my max to 185 while low reps didn’t make me strong at all., couldn’t pass 135. 
High reps on rt handle made me pull much more as well. I couldn’t do 20 reps Because it hurt my shoulder, but I kept the reps between 5-10, more closer to ten..  

Get the RRBT program. You'll get plenty of high reps.

3 minutes ago, John McCarter said:

Hello John!

Where could I get that program? sounds interesting

20 hours ago, pancho_grip_lift said:

Hey! 

Your training routine sounds good! You may add some pounds for both movements each week, but eventually you will have to raise the level of intensity. How often do you do it? Did you just started a new training cycle? 

You could also include holds for time. As a personal experience, they help a lot with rolling handle tools, and reps work really well for pinching. Try both and check how it works for you!

I do this once a week (casue I  do grip machine and TTK as well).

In my experience holds for time and singles work good in the beginning, but then I couldn't add weight). That's why I started this high rep routine.

15 hours ago, John McCarter said:

but RRBT is the routine for grippers... Do you think it will work for crushers and block weights?

7 hours ago, John McCarter said:

Thank you John!

1 hour ago, Alex0204 said:

I do this once a week (casue I  do grip machine and TTK as well).

In my experience holds for time and singles work good in the beginning, but then I couldn't add weight). That's why I started this high rep routine.

Interesting... how long did it work for you (singles and holds) before you couldn't add weight?

2 hours ago, Alex0204 said:

but RRBT is the routine for grippers... Do you think it will work for crushers and block weights?

Probably suggested that because you wrote "crushing" in the title. Doing RRBT with thick bar would probably kill you. I don't see how that would be possible unless you're using submaximal weights.

3 hours ago, Alex0204 said:

I didn't noticed the Crusher part. I thought a question was being asked about gripper and high reps.

If the weights aren't heavy I see no problem with attempting it for a crusher or block weight.

When you guys do high reps with something like a block weight, do you let go of the object completely between each rep and re-grip before performing the next one or do you keep your grip on the object and simply touch the ground before lifting it again? I guess you could benefit from both methods.

2 hours ago, pancho_grip_lift said:

Thank you John!

Interesting... how long did it work for you (singles and holds) before you couldn't add weight?

about 3-4 months, but it was pretty good increase in weights

Edited by Alex0204
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Probably suggested that because you wrote "crushing" in the title. Doing RRBT with thick bar would probably kill you. I don't see how that would be possible unless you're using submaximal weights.

I think that crushing and supporting/open hand feats are similar, becasue the same muscles involved. Maybe I'm wrong though...

5 hours ago, Alex0204 said:

I think that crushing and supporting/open hand feats are similar, becasue the same muscles involved. Maybe I'm wrong though...

It's not the same thing. You use the same muscles when you squat and deadlift as well, doesn't make it the same exercise. Same with grip sport. There's three main different types of grip strength. Supporting, pinching and crushing.

8 hours ago, Alex0204 said:

I saw a Clay Edgin's video on youtube about an 8 week program for the rolling thunder (spreadsheet available), have you tried that?

13 hours ago, pancho_grip_lift said:

I saw a Clay Edgin's video on youtube about an 8 week program for the rolling thunder (spreadsheet available), have you tried that?

No. By the way, can't find this program

3 hours ago, Alex0204 said:

No. By the way, can't find this program

Check this video:

Link to the program is in the description of that video. It is intended to rolling handle, but I think It would work well for other thickbar implements. It lasts 8 weeks, with weekly increases! 

I hope it helps!

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2020 at 8:51 PM, Fist of Fury said:

There's three main different types of grip strength. Supporting, pinching and crushing.

But what type of grip strength do you use lifting v-bar?

On 10/28/2020 at 3:11 PM, paul valpreda said:

When you guys do high reps with something like a block weight, do you let go of the object completely between each rep and re-grip before performing the next one or do you keep your grip on the object and simply touch the ground before lifting it again? I guess you could benefit from both methods.

I think it doesn’t matter. But for me the problem with high rep sets is hands sweating that make blocks slick, and I have to swipe it

3 minutes ago, Alex0204 said:

But what type of grip strength do you use lifting v-bar?

Supporting. Everything that is not a type of pinch or crush is will be support grip. Whether you lift a barbell, dumbbell or a thick bar, vertical or not, it's supporting grip. 

• Thanks 1

Jedd and I rarely do more than 3-5 reps on any movement but the key is to understand the technical side of your lifts in order to be able to do this. If you are still new and working on technique with your various lifts then the 5-8 reps scheme may be more realistic. Friction lifts especially are very fickle with high reps as the moisture and texture changes every lift (generally getting worse as you go). Most people aren't able to tolerate lifting at >90% 1RM for almost all the volume but it is what works for us. I generally base my daily lifts on how I feel that day...work up to a max and make a few attempts and then drop down and hit my 2-3 rep sets at a weight that feels appropriate for that day. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Alex0204 said:

have you tried high rep routine?

Only for recovery or when i have a skin tear; never to build strength but jedd is 15 years into grip and i am at 7.5 years. Ive tried high rep in the past but minimal/no effect.

The technical side of grip especially friction lifts it is more important to learn that so that you can maximize lifting efficiency vs accidentally having good technique one time and not the next which could mean a 5-10% difference. 

• Like 1