Got The Blues

EricMilfeld

Well, my bundles of fifty blue nails arrived yesterday and put me in my place. Try as I might, they remain as straight as an arrow :angry: And I have a greater respect for this feat, as well as a great admiration for all you guys who have conqured the blue and beyond! Weak link: definitely my wrists. Time to start off with some baby nails, and work my way up. I've already read Bender's informative nail bending tips, so hopefully I'll be posting of subdueing the blue soon.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricMilfeld

• bender

• bballdad

• OldGuy

Eric I have gotten the bending bug also. I cant bend the blue and my wrists defenitll need some work. Good luck with the bending Im sure we will be there soon with the blue :rock

Austin Slater

Get a 30 lb bucket of those 60d spiral nails (timber ties) that bender talks about.

They are alot of fun and you can cut them down as you get stronger. Pretty cheap bending material to, I paid around $32.00 for 30 lbs.

Thanks guys. I'll be hitting Home Depot this weekend. I guess eventually I'll have to invest in a bolt cutter. Onward to the blue :rock

Confidence and Technique.

Confidence. "The body will not go where the mind hasn't been". If you don't think you can bend, you won't be able to.

Technique. You are using your entire body to direct energy into one little point. Focus on what you are doing, how you are using your body, how steel bends, and your ability will jump quickly.

Those blues will be childs toys soon.

Also, buy bolt cutters.

Thank you Bender. When the blues first arrived I had all kinds of confidence, now I just have the blues. :cry But your advice I'm taking to heart.

I bought some 60D spiral, zinc coated nails today, and bent 8 of them without too much difficulty. I also purchased some 1/4 inch, hot rolled stock, and with a 100% effort managed a bend with a 6 1/2 inch piece. The kids got a kick out of this, and I felt redeemed after my failure with that dang blue. This bending is very satisfying, and gives one heck of an upper body workout. And talk about stressing your tendons!

You're right on OldGuy. I got a little taste of what you're referring to today, as I stood out in front of Home Depot today bending nails, while waiting for my wife to finish shopping at Target. Of course I made sure no one was watching me, as I turned beet red.

I'm using Bender's technique shown in his photo #1, at his site.

You better believe I'm hooked on this stuff.

Edited by EricMilfeld

Hooked and obsessed. I just finished bending a 6 inch piece of the 1/4 inch stock of hot rolled. Just before this I managed to kink the blue to maybe five degrees or so, but it did bend a little bit. I thought that hernia causing 6 1/2 inch bend a few hours ago would be it for a while, but with 110% effort and confidence, it's amazing what we can do.

good to ehar your making progress. :rock . But I too have been struck by the bluess. I bought 14 60D's (galvanized nails) the other day. I could only get a kink in it :mellow... Dissapointing seeing as about 2 months ago I did bend a 60 D into a U. It must have been a weaker one i guess. But anyway Good job. That Blue will fall in no time. :laugh

-kit

Thanks Kit. I've noticed huge variances in strength among the 60D's , as well. I lucked out with these spirals I bought today, as they're a good training nail, requiring about a 85% effort.

Are these spiral nails "Timber Ties"? If so, they are the perfect warm-up nail. They're at 200 +/- 10lbs, and at about the level that stops the average joe. The best thing I did for bending was buy the 30lb bucket of those guys.

Nice work with the bends. Just don't push your self too fast. Adrenaline can make you forget little injuries, and then little injuries become big injuries. On the other hand, bending while tired helps me improve my form.

In the end, the Blue is like a #2 gripper. At first you can't close it, it takes some time training, but soon enough it will be more of a warm up for harder grippers/steel.

The only thing holding people back from bending is "knowing" that they can bend, and that the slight discomfort in the hands is only slight discomfort and not actual pain. Pain tells you you're injured. Slight discomfort is only slightly uncomfortable. Focusing on the nail instead of that background noise, you'll surpass your imagined potential.

When I picked up a #3, I knew it as hard, but I saw how I could train to close it. When I picked up a 60D, it was an RB WT, a joke. I thought that it was impossible to bend it. Then, in a matter of a week, something snapped and all of a sudden, I knew I could bend it, then bent two (right after bending my first BLUE).

I've noticed huge variances in strength among the 60D's

I've found 60D's that took 180lbs to bend, and there are 330lb nails. There are also sightings of nails even harder than those. That's almost double the strength of the easy ones!

Imagine that IronMind had only one gripper and that it varried in strength between the #1 and #3. That'd be stupid. But alas, that's the way 60D's are. Just like training for grippers, nail bending is about finding nails that bridge the gap betwen where you are and where you want to go.

Are these spiral nails "Timber Ties"? If so, they are the perfect warm-up nail. They're at 200 +/- 10lbs, and at about the level that stops the average joe.

Yeh, Eric, that's exactly what I have. At my level they prove to be a pretty good workout, but I can already tell that with a bit of technique improvement, they'll soon feel like butter. The webbing between my thumbs and forefingers is pretty sore today, but it's still very hard not to go out in the garage and battle a few more nails :cry How often do you bend, and how many bends per workout have you found best? Thanks again for the help :D

I still have work outs today where I just bend 1-3 timber ties. They are a fun nail. Not too hard, but enough to stress your hands and wrists.

For that level of bending, I highly suggest the "When ever you feel like it" technique. Bend when ever you feel like it, as many times a day as you like, and takes days off when you don't feel up to bending. Stick primarily to Timber Ties, and throw in 1/4" HRS or Blues when you feel strong. Just listen to your body.

Recently, I've not bent as much, and saved my energy for one big work out every few days. Then, I always start with a Timber Tie, then a BLUE or 60, and then a Grade-5. If I'm feeling good, I just bend a Timber Tie, and move straight to a Grade-5. No matter what, I always start with the TT, to judge my strength for the day. If it folds its self, I'm good, but if it hurts my wrist, I stop.

Besides the big bend days, I usualy just start with a TT, and then bend 60D's and 1/4" Square-Stock until I'm sore and out of strenght. For the harder pieces, it's usually 3-5 over a half hour.

Then again, I tried 20 TT's consecutivly, one a minute for 20 mintues. That was a unique experience.

On off days I either don't bend, or just bend 1 TT, or 1 TT and a 60D.

Over all, just listen to what your hands and wrists are telling you, and bend with your mind, not your ego. That guy makes you do stupid things for the wrong reasons, like try two grade-5's, back to back, or bend for somebody even though you don't feel like your hands are up to it...

Eric, be careful with bending on a daily basis. I think the wrists and hands can handle it, but the pecs & shoulders take a beating. I tore the heck out of my pec about two months ago during a bench workout. I bent several times the week before, and had a little tenderness in the pecs going into my workout. The pec ripped on my fourth work set of bench. Moral of the story, be careful with bending and other feats if you are hitting the big three hard in the gym particularly the bench press. Hopefully I'll be up in running by the time I get over there in middle December. I can't wait to school you in some bending! :laugh

I really appreciate all the advice Eric. I must admit that that ego guy got the best of me when I came home this morning. I had already decided not to touch the nails for atleast three more days, due to the immense soreness in my forearms. But when I saw that kinked blue staring at me from the shelf, I couldn't control myself. I quickly wrapped it up with my dish rag and gave it vein popping effort, which produced an even bigger kink. Maybe if I do this every morning, it will eventually take the shape of a "U". :laugh

Chris, I'm sorry to hear about your pec tear. It's because of the pec tear I suffered while squatting four years ago, that I try and finish off the nails in a very slow and controlled manner. Oh, and I can't wait to attend your class!

Edited by EricMilfeld

If you don't have the money or space for bolt cutters, just cut your steel at home depot! Go to the section that sells chain and they have a cutter there thats pretty easy and fast to use. Usually, I will take along a bolt that is close to the length that i want and eyeball the steel against that. If anyone gets curious (they haven't seemed to care yet) just tell them that you used to work at a home depot or something. Then just show the end of steel that has the price tag to the cashier to pay. Its not the most precise way to cut steel, but it works!

'Mitts, personaly, I've never had any issues with muscle soreness from bending. I recall only one situation where I felt a tiny cramp in my inner right pec during a crush, but nothing else. Even the day after big bends, there is no muscle soreness. I'm a 285 bench, 16-pull ups at 200lbs bw guy. Not that strong in the grand scheme of things, but bending has never led to my muscles being sore.

The only soreness I have had was a few consecutive days of bending TT's behind my back. Crushing a nail in that position is a killer! Then, at the end of thoes days I tried to tare a phone book, and it felt like somebody stabbed me in each arm pit. Woa, the pain!... That lasted for a good 6 hours, but healed up fast.

But bending alone, there's never any pain, besides my wrists and hands.

Eric, I just got back to bending a little while back. I've been starting the bend strict, then finishing it off with a crush between my thighs. This causes the pec very little discomfort. Good luck with you bending. Chris

Bender, you are a better man than I! I always felt like the crush down taxed my pecs quite a bit. I'm a decently strong guy (402 bench press @ 198) and dumbell row 170X5. I always wondered how yall could bend so frequently. It just takes it's toll on my upper body. I think a large part of it has to do with me training the bench press so hard. Anyway, that's just my two cents. Keep dispensing the great advice! Chris

I bought a 14" bolt cutter for only $14 at Home Depot. I know the cutter you're talking about, AP; I've used it to cut chain before.

The only soreness I experienced post bending was along the back of my forearms. I forget everything I learned in college anatomy ten years ago, but it's the muscle that enables your wrist to rotate as it would in a bend. And yes, I definitely feel my pecs come into play on the crush portion of the bend.

I think that because you bend as often as you do Eric, perhaps your body has adapted to the activity, and now you no longer get sore, as is the case with all exercise. I suspect we're all using the same muscles to bend?

I see your bench has improved since you wrote your bio for Milo, Chris. Great bench!

Edited by EricMilfeld

You know, I never recall having sore pecs from bending. Something's not right here...

When I crush a nail I don't even feel my pecs until the last .5 cm of the crush. Instead, I feel my lats and "teres minor?", the small triagular muscle under the lat that pulls the arm to the body. My crush is mostly that arm-pit muscle with a little assitance from the pec.

When I crush, I don't think about using my chest, but instead I feel my entire upper body doing the work equaly.

To understand this, I encourage you to try to crush a TT behind your back so that the pec is eliminated completely. You'll understand perfectly then! It's a whole new sensation, and brings awareness to the teres minor, for sure.

Also, I know the tm is used quite a bit during the dead lift and you've more than demonstraited your deadlifting ability. Perhaps focusing on this all-ready-strong muscle may help your crush.

I'm not saying there's a right way and a wrong way, just different techniques.

------

I just analized how I crush: Most of the force seems to be comming from my wrists, the rest of the force seems to be in my back and tricepts. Again, very little chest. Interesting.

I won't say the bending is making my chest sore, only that I feel my pecs tense up in the last stage of the bend. Keep in mind I've torn away a good portion of my left pec, so perhaps I'm just extra sensitive to any tension on this muscle. Heck, I even feel my pecs tense up on biceps curls. Of course I'm a complete newbie to bending, so I suspect I can't see the forest for the trees when describing my use of various muscles involved in the bend. We're probably on the very same page with regards to all this.