Road to the CoC #3

AvgJo

11 hours ago, AvgJo said:

Too awkward with my plate unfortunately, I just don't want my fingers hyper extending the way they do for no reason, already getting beat up enough with grippers lol. Apart from that, plate curls are great with flat plates. That's a shame with your grippers man. I thought you were buzzing to work towards the #3 close and everything, big into the RGCs too. I might take a break from grippers after I close the #3 and focus on some other grip aspect. I'd love to work on axle deadlifts if I had the setup.

If they are hyperextending your fingers i wouldnt do them at all. 

Dont get me wrong closing the 3 is still a goal just not my main focus and i WILL get it in time i just want to be strong all around at grip not just grippers. 

Yeah id love an axle. I had one as a teenager and love it. Id be much stronger on it now. Will have to stick to fat gripz work for now. 

• Like 1

14/10/20

Grip:

All MMS or a bit wider:
CoC #3 3 attempts
CoC #2.5 2x1 closes
GHP 5 10,8 closes

FBW:
A1-2:Wall HSPU ecc. on parallettes 3x3x4”, Grippers
B:Chinups at 21kg 5,5,5
C1-2:Dips at 20kg 5,5,5, 1A scap. dep. 3x10” holds
D1-2:PSQ ecc. 3x5, HLRs 3x5 (strict)

Edited by AvgJo
  • Like 1

16/10/20

Grip:

GHP 5 3x8 MMS

FBW:
Handstands 3 sets
Chinups at 21.5kg 5,5,4
Dips 3x12 at BW
Band curls 3x15
HKRs 3x12

Taking my deload next week instead of the week after that. All the gripper work and new routine while dieting has caught up with me.

Edited by AvgJo
  • Like 2

17/10/2020

Circuit:
PSQs 10x1 at 5kg
L-sits 10x5-10"
Towel hangs 10x15"
Band pushdowns 100+ reps
Band curls 100+ reps
Neck flex./ext. 100/100 reps

Stretching 20-25'

Felt pretty stiff and sore so decided to throw together some kind of active recovery session, PSQs added in because I skipped them yesterday. Light bands for some blood flow. Might start some neck training if I can be bothered.

Edited by AvgJo

19/10/20

FBW:
A1:Wall HSPUs 3x2 (on pushup handles)
B1:Paused Chinups at 10kg 5,5,5
B2:Paused Dips at 10kg 5,5,5
C1:1A Scapula dep. 3x10” holds
D1:Band curls 3x15
E1:PSQ ecc. 3x5 at 5kg
E2:HLRs 3x8

Deload week, day 1. Chinups/Dips paused at half way.

Edited by AvgJo
  • Like 1

21/10/20

FBW:
A1:Chinups 2x5 at 10kg
A2:Dips 2x5 at 10kg
B1:Pushups 2x30
B2:Inv. Rows 2x20
C1:BTN Press 2x15 at 30kg
C2-3:Side delts + Band pull-aparts 2x10+10
D1:Neck flex/ext 50/50 reps
E1-2:EZ bar curls + standing OH tricep  ext. 2 sets
F1:DB rev. lunges 2x20 at 2x21.3kg
F2:DB RDLs 2x15 at 2x21kg
G1-2:HLRs + HKRs 2x5+8

Mind boggling pump. Would make Arnold jealous. Good to get some blood flowing.

Edited by AvgJo
  • Like 1

23/10/20

FBW:
A1:Chinups 2,3,5,2,3,5 at 10kg
A2:Wall HSPUs 3,3,3,2,2,1 at BW
B1-3:Dips 22, Pushups 15, Inv. Rows 20, 1 AMRAP round
C1-3:BTN Press 15, DB Side Delts 10, Band Pull-aparts, 3 rounds
D1-2:Thumbless Rev. Curls 8, OH Tricep Ext. 6, 3 supersets at 35kg
E1-2: Goblet Squats 10, RDLs 10, 2 supersets at 25kg
F1: HLRs 3x8 (strict)

My legs are ridiculously undertrained. I didn't barbell squat or deadlift in over 2 years now I think. No weights for lower body at all. Legs are still sore from RDLs with 40kg from previous session 😳. I'm going to try build up some work capacity and general strength with some goblet squats and RDLs at home, should make getting back to squats and DLs in the gym soon a bit less of a struggle. Shoulder is feeling great, impingement is 98.999% better, high rep pump work definitely helps. Down 1.3kg in 11 days which is good, first week or 2 is usually a big drop for me, mostly fluff and water. 92kg on the dot.

Edited by AvgJo
  • Like 2

26/10/20

Grip:

GHP 4 2x1 closes
CoC #2 2x1 closes
GHP 5 2x1 closes
CoC #2.5 2x1 closes
210H 1 close
CoC #3 4 attempts
210H + #2.5 5x1 closes
Plate curls 3x5 at 10kg

Back to my original routine. Alternated between 210H and #2.5 trying to decide which one is harder. Plate curls feeling easier.

Edited by AvgJo
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, AvgJo said:

28/10/20

Grip:

All GHP block sets:
210H 4 attempts
CoC #2.5 4 attempts

Feel weak. Diet going good but strength has dropped as a result.

How much weight are you trying to drop?

8 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

How much weight are you trying to drop?

I've went from 93.3kg to 91.4kg the last 2 weeks. I thought to get to 89kg and go back to maintenance and sit around 90kg but might go even lower, just depends how I look and feel.

17 minutes ago, AvgJo said:

I've went from 93.3kg to 91.4kg the last 2 weeks. I thought to get to 89kg and go back to maintenance and sit around 90kg but might go even lower, just depends how I look and feel.

Nice good job man. Dieting sucks I went from 93kg - 83kg I’m way weaker now than I was at 93 but also couldn’t workout for a while because of COVID and still can’t workout very often because of COVID but I do really like the way I look now at 83.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Nice good job man. Dieting sucks I went from 93kg - 83kg I’m way weaker now than I was at 93 but also couldn’t workout for a while because of COVID and still can’t workout very often because of COVID but I do really like the way I look now at 83.

Yea man.. I was 83kg just over a year ago now and I felt great, could really notice how I could move around faster on my feet aswell. You'd be on the #3.5 at 93kg man lol.

10 minutes ago, AvgJo said:

Yea man.. I was 83kg just over a year ago now and I felt great, could really notice how I could move around faster on my feet aswell. You'd be on the #3.5 at 93kg man lol.

Hah thanks man I seriously doubt it though still haven’t closed my 3 again since getting it that one day hopefully this weekend I can get it.

29/10/20

Grip:

All MMS:
CoC #3 2 attempts
210H 2 attempts
CoC #2.5 1 attempt
GHP 5 1x8 reps

What a shit workout. Feeling weak as hell. Today's workout was scheduled for tomorrow but I am planning on going along to my first arm wrestling session on Saturday so decided to do my workout a day early. Still, tomorrow wouldn't have felt much better I think. Need to up the calories a bit more.

Edited by AvgJo
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

I'm fasting every other day, the other day you eat just as you always do, with no thought of 'diet'. Within reason of course. 

I only train on days I eat. And although I have only been doing it a very short time, so far I feel no loss of power and I have plenty of power on the eating days. 

Of course it has it's own draw backs but it works well. 

I have looked into fasting but never actually tried it. I really believe in it though. It makes sense. There's a pretty cool video on youtube about it. The guy basically says that being in a consistent calorie deficit through the week vs fasting 2-3 days, then eating normal the rest of the week - that the fasting option allows for better muscle retention and energy levels - loose more fat apparently too than standard daily deficit. Overall with the longer fasts, you are in the same (or bigger) deficit when looking at average calories over a 7 day intake compared to a regular daily deficit over 7 days. I'm planning on giving it a go at some point - every other day fasts sounds interesting though.. Here's the vid, pretty awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTYv3FcEcus&ab_channel=DorianWilson

Edited by AvgJo

Armwrestling:

So I just inquired about the club that was running, just to make sure it's still on and it's not 😕 probably due to Covid. Some guys still train individually though apparently so I've to meet a guy on Saturday to find out more.

Edited by AvgJo

Armwrestling:

What a great time. Went along to my first AW session. Had the pleasure of armwrestling the current British champion who is from Wales and is now based in Edinburgh. What a beast 😳 AW is growing in popularity and there is a decent amount of people training around my area which is amazing. Definitely be back next week 💪

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AvgJo said:

Armwrestling:

What a great time. Went along to my first AW session. Had the pleasure of armwrestling the current British champion who is from Wales and is now based in Edinburgh. What a beast 😳 AW is growing in popularity and there is a decent amount of people training around my area which is amazing. Definitely be back next week 💪

Sounds awesome. I wish they had clubs here in newcastle. I used to love arm wrestling. Only in pubs when i was younger like haha but now im into grip it would be interesting. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Sounds awesome. I wish they had clubs here in newcastle. I used to love arm wrestling. Only in pubs when i was younger like haha but now im into grip it would be interesting. 

You never know man, I had to search a fair bit to find out info in my area. There's an app called armbets that you can search for people to train with in your area, pretty cool.

6 hours ago, AvgJo said:

You never know man, I had to search a fair bit to find out info in my area. There's an app called armbets that you can search for people to train with in your area, pretty cool.

Let me know if your arms are sore and messed up for days after. I have thought about trying it kinda scared my arms will be so messed up I won’t be able to do any training for a week after though. 

9 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Let me know if your arms are sore and messed up for days after. I have thought about trying it kinda scared my arms will be so messed up I won’t be able to do any training for a week after though. 

Yep my arms are pretty sore haha. Insides of my elbows especially, combination of actual muscle soreness and friction burns from the elbow pad lol. They told me that for the first 6 months or so you will constantly be in pain, until your body adapts to the stress a bit. Then your still in pain but less lol. I am a bit wary too as to whether I can still manage my normal training doing this.. especially chin ups 3 days per week. The guys focus on a lot of light band pump work between sessions to flush blood in those areas to aid recovery.

2 hours ago, AvgJo said:

Yep my arms are pretty sore haha. Insides of my elbows especially, combination of actual muscle soreness and friction burns from the elbow pad lol. They told me that for the first 6 months or so you will constantly be in pain, until your body adapts to the stress a bit. Then your still in pain but less lol. I am a bit wary too as to whether I can still manage my normal training doing this.. especially chin ups 3 days per week. The guys focus on a lot of light band pump work between sessions to flush blood in those areas to aid recovery.

Haha wow man that sounds pretty intense. 

So just a bit of an update. I'm going to give this log a break for a bit. I'm still dieting and each session i'm getting further away from closing the #3 it feels like. Nothing to report. I'll probably turn my focus to armwrestling for now as it has sparked something exciting for me at the moment. I don't think I can juggle everything at once and I'm not even going to try to. I'll most likely be using fat gripz a lot now, maybe grippers when I feel like it.

Edited by AvgJo
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, AvgJo said:

So just a bit of an update. I'm going to give this log a break for a bit. I'm still dieting and each session i'm getting further away from closing the #3 it feels like. Nothing to report. I'll probably turn my focus to armwrestling for now as it has sparked something exciting for me at the moment. I don't think I can juggle everything at once and I'm not even going to try to. I'll most likely be using fat gripz a lot now, maybe grippers when I feel like it.

Even if your logging your other workouts not gripper related I’m into reading them.

• Thanks 1