520kg deadlift!!!???

king crusher

Said he will deadlift 520kg for his fourth attempt if he gets a certain sub count. What a unit.

• Like 5

I think it would be pretty great if he hit 501 as his last warm up set, then went on to hit 510 as his "first attempt".

• Like 2

He said in his video today that he could have for sure done 501kg today.

10 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

I think it would be pretty great if he hit 501 as his last warm up set, then went on to hit 510 as his "first attempt".

My guess is he would do something "light " for opener. Second would be 460ish-470 and then he will hit 501 for third and go for broke on a fourth attempt.  

• Like 2

Strongman record is 500kg

23 minutes ago, mfin77 said:

How about suited up

500kg. Eddie hall. 

• The world record strongman deadlift (with equipment including a deadlift suit and weightlifting straps) is 500 kg (1,102 lb), held by Eddie Hall and set during the Europe's Strongest Man competition (at the World Deadlift Championship) held on 9th July 2016, in front of a crowd of 10,000 people at the First Direct Arena in Leeds, UK.
  • The world record tire deadlift (with equipment including a deadlift suit, weightlifting straps, and a long bar with tires as weights) is 1,155 lb (524 kg), held by Zydrunas Savickas (2014 Arnold Strongman Classic).
  • The world record elephant bar deadlift is 474 kg (1,045 lb), held by Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson (2019 Arnold Strongman Classic).
  • The world record RAW deadlift (no deadlifting suits, straps or hitching) is 1,015 lb (460 kg), held by Benedikt Magnússon.
  • The world record deadlift for women is 305 kg (672 lb), held by Becca Swanson.
  • The world record elephant bar deadlift for women is 621 lb (282 kg), held by Andrea Thompson (2020 Arnold Strongman Classic). 
  • Like 6

Hope the list helps.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, king crusher said:

500kg. Eddie hall. 

Thor is training fully suited up and double belt too.  Yeah, two belts.  I never saw any boost from a suit doing conventional as being a thing. I wore a wrestling singlet when I competed.  

3 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

Thor is training fully suited up and double belt too.  Yeah, two belts.  I never saw any boost from a suit doing conventional as being a thing. I wore a wrestling singlet when I competed.  

Thor is doing his attempt with the same type of suit Eddie used and same straps. It's not two belts it's a belt with a elastic back brace type thing most ppl use when they tweak their back.

Deadlift suit is said to add about 60lbs for most.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Thor is doing his attempt with the same type of suit Eddie used and same straps. It's not two belts it's a belt with a elastic back brace type thing most ppl use when they tweak their back.

Deadlift suit is said to add about 60lbs for most.

Unfortunately it won't be in a real comp due to the Rona, so it shouldn't count as the WR.  Heaviest DL ever under these rules and equipment?  Absolutely.  World Record?  No.  Gotta do it in a comp.  Period. 

Otherwise, where do you draw the line?  Do we start counting gym PRs as records?

Thor looked like a giant in that last video - and he made the lift look effortless (the 970 lift I think it was).  

1 minute ago, climber511 said:

Thor looked like a giant in that last video - and he made the lift look effortless (the 970 lift I think it was).  

The last lift was 470kg

9 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Unfortunately it won't be in a real comp due to the Rona, so it shouldn't count as the WR.  Heaviest DL ever under these rules and equipment?  Absolutely.  World Record?  No.  Gotta do it in a comp.  Period. 

Otherwise, where do you draw the line?  Do we start counting gym PRs as records?

Yeah I agree. I guess they are kinda bringing the comp to him so to speak though so it will be in between a comp and a regular gym lift.

14 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Too bad he won't be living very long. I think he has already suffered a stroke of some sort?  

It's hard to hype up a cross between a gym lift and a show lift with a suit - hitching allowed - and straps unless you've been brought up doing Strongman.  Strongman doesn't really have closely defined "rules" like PL where you have certain lifts done in a certain order before getting to the Dead Lift.  This is like a single event comp might be in PL.  I still think Bennie's lift is the most impressive of all the deadlift records.  I do believe Thor will break the record - and by more than a Kilo - but the way it will be looked at will depend on who you are and how you believe about competition.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wannagrip said:

Too bad he won't be living very long. I think he has already suffered a stroke of some sort?  

Supposedly it was Bells palsy.  Whether that's true or not, I have no idea. It has gotten much much better so it would appear that could be it. An actual stroke doesnt get better. 

• Like 1

It might be official, it might not, who cares either way I'm gonna watch it and enjoy it

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

It's hard to hype up a cross between a gym lift and a show lift with a suit - hitching allowed - and straps unless you've been brought up doing Strongman.  Strongman doesn't really have closely defined "rules" like PL where you have certain lifts done in a certain order before getting to the Dead Lift.  This is like a single event comp might be in PL.  I still think Bennie's lift is the most impressive of all the deadlift records.  I do believe Thor will break the record - and by more than a Kilo - but the way it will be looked at will depend on who you are and how you believe about competition.

I still think Bennies is the best deadlift ever too but it's still fun to watch these enormous weights go up. And Thor has yet to hitch one of his big pulls. I hate hitching. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, king crusher said:

I still think Bennies is the best deadlift ever too but it's still fun to watch these enormous weights go up. And Thor has yet to hitch one of his big pulls. I hate hitching. 

Thor is very simply out of this world right now - maybe we need to change his name from "Half Thor" to "Full Thor".  I know that's not how it's spelled but.........

• Haha 2

Quick update on this. The lift will NOT be done in Thor’s home gym. It will take place at a small venue of some sort at another location. Basically, it’s being made as official as legally possible right now due to lockdown rules in his country.

Making the only angle of debate with regards to the lifts “officialness” how small the crowd is watching the lift live. Which imo, is a non point. Because if so, where do we draw the line with that??... are we gonna not acknowledge WR’s if less than 5,000 people are in attendance?

also, yeah sure, Eddie lift was done “at” a comp. but in no way was his lift part of the competition. (Sort of like the rogue record breakers where Martins took the funky squat record) So Eddie doesn’t get the extra points for an actual “competition” lift, since no other athletes were given a shot at the same weight on that same day.

so, with the update I just gave you, the ONLY difference between Eddies lift and Thor’s lift will literally be the amount of onlookers in attendance.

now let’s see how salty Eddie gets! 😂

disclaimer, I too think Benni’s DL is the greatest DL of all time. But it will be cool to see Thor smash special Eddies record.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 2

I believe I understand everyone's reasoning about this WR debate going around, but to take an extreme example: What if the world is on lockdown so no big contest can take place for ten years due to the virus, does that mean we'll go ten years without an official WR?

• Like 1