Atlas Stone

Snaplight

So I managed to pick up an Atlas Stone the other day , my first encounter with one. 

Its 75kg so not overly heavy , but I'm wondering what or How I can best use it?   I mean beside picking it up off the deck and either putting it on top of a platform or over a Bar and dropping it ( onto something soft ) I'm wondering what else I can potentially do with it ???

I'm guessing at this wait its best to do as many reps as possible in a certain time frame and then just try to repeat it for more reps.

• Like 1

Carries, shoulder it, lift it from a deficit, move your hands farther apart to make it harder on the grip, lift it to a higher platform. 

• Like 3

Rows are great

Carries are brutal

I like to do timed holds with my lighter one. Brutal on the core.

• Like 2

Over a bar or shouldering are the best options for atlas stones IMO. Stones being a fixed weight your options for progression are more reps or higher loads. You could progress through something like 3x3 then 3x4, then 3x5 over three weeks at a given height then start over again loading to a higher height.  Or every minute on the minute (EMOM) do 1-3 reps at a given height works great too. If you had more stones I would reccommend alternating a straight reps scheme like I outlined above, using a heavier stone and EMOM with a lighter stone every week. Stones are awesome and easy to overdo. The other thing to consider is a stone lift has two components: lapping and extending. If one is weaker than the other you could emphasize more reps of that movement. Example: two laps + full lift.

• Like 2

Carries are a great option for lighter stones.

Work it into a medley arrangement.

You can load it into a wheelbarrow or onto a sled, drag/push it a ways, then load/lift it.

you could set up an obstacle course and roll your stone through it as fast or a many times as possible.

if you wanna get real crazy, take your stone out on the town! Lift it in and out of the front seat of your car. (No real stone lifter would ever disrespect their stones by putting them in the trunk) Take it grocery shopping 🛒. Get creative!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/29/2020 at 8:28 PM, JHenze646 said:

if you wanna get real crazy, take your stone out on the town! Lift it in and out of the front seat of your car. (No real stone lifter would ever disrespect their stones by putting them in the trunk) Take it grocery shopping 🛒. Get creative!

Ha-Ha!!

I'll make sure I take it drinking with me.  Pub to glorious Pub!!

• Like 2