Ray's grip log

Raymond

I did another grip session yesterday, after a warmup.

# 2 -3x5

# 2.5 -x6 mms - missed the last two reps, still can't quite close the bastard from a wide set.

# 2 3x8 seconds holds

Holle dumbell and 50lb plate pinches

6x12 squat mae geri's and 6x12 explosive pushups.

I pulled two CoC # 3's out of their packets and rated them today. One of them was showing 154 and the other was showing 151 on my rig. I gave the 154 a squeeze without chalk and missed by almost an inch. So I won't be training them except for a challenge grip when I have the #2.5 by the balls and I can close it every time. I might have to buy a GHP 6 so I get a bit of progression before I start any serious work with the #3's

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hopefully said:

So you can rep the 2.5 for 4 now? That is very good 

Not real reps  @Hopefully it's only if I do a really deep set and then they were just quick touches where I barely let the handles open between reps. I still can't get it closer than about 5mm from a wide set. I don't think I've gained any strength, when I do a wide set the palm side handle slips a bit as I start to close it but I can hold the handle in the best spot when I do a deep set.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Raymond said:

Not real reps  @Hopefully it's only if I do a really deep set and then they were just quick touches where I barely let the handles open between reps. I still can't get it closer than about 5mm from a wide set. I don't think I've gained any strength, when I do a wide set the palm side handle slips a bit as I start to close it but I can hold the handle in the best spot when I do a deep set.

I love those minireps and had great success with doing them. If I were you I would see if it's possible to find a spot where the handle doesnt slip and do minireps there! 

Edited by Lennix
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lennix said:

I love those minireps and had great success with doing them. If I were you I would see if it's possible to find a spot where the handle doesnt slip and do minireps there! 

I think I found that spot by accident yesterday when I did them, I was a bit surprised when it closed  so I just went with it and did as many as I could. I'll definitely be doing more of them from now on. It's seems a bit weird to be able to close it like that and not be able to do it from a wider set, it shows how important the set is.

13 minutes ago, Raymond said:

I think I found that spot by accident yesterday when I did them, I was a bit surprised when it closed  so I just went with it and did as many as I could. I'll definitely be doing more of them from now on. It's seems a bit weird to be able to close it like that and not be able to do it from a wider set, it shows how important the set is.

It's all about leverage. That's why it's much harder with wider sets the smaller your hands are. Despite what people want you to believe :)

Good job with that #2.5 and keep doing those minireps, the important thing is that you start the first rep from the set you want to improve on. When you get good at it you can file the gripper as well.

• Like 1

Cheers @Fist of Fury!

I have really small hands so it's a struggle to get my fingers around them. I'd only measured the left until a few minutes ago, I assumed they would be the same size but my right (I'm right handed) is even smaller. My left hand is just under 7 1/2" and my right is less than 7 3/8" . I could be a stunt double for an Oompa Loompa.

I can't make excuses though, I'm a determined little bastard.

Edited by Raymond
  • Haha 1

Worked off last night's hangover today, I'm trying to get back where I was before the flu hit me a few weeks ago, so this was the first time doing this for a while.

5 minutes Indian clubs warmup

L-sits to tuck Planche x 5 on parallettes

Shoulder stand into press to handstand x 5 on parallettes

Fatbar pullups - 8 bodyweight, 5 + 24kg, 3 +32, 2 +40, 1 +48kg (lost a bit strength here)

Kettlebell clean & press 24kg - 8R & L, 28kg 5R & L, 32kg 3 R & L,  3 wall supported handstand pushups on parallettes.

@Hopefully asked me if I can do front lever the other day so I had a crack at that after I was finished training. It was a half arsed attempt but it looked a lot better from my angle 😀. I can do it better on rings but that's as good as I've got without training for it. It might take a few weeks to regain that skill. The back levers were pretty ordinary too, one of my shoulders is held in with screws and it takes me a while to get the ROM in there before I can get them.

• Like 4

I was on a travel for one week. Came back. Tried #2.5. Epic fail.
GHP grippers ( from #3 to #8) which I ordered came from USA yesterday. GHP 8 is like a brick! :)  GHP 5 is somewhere between COC 2 and COC 2.5. That is good. I have a small bridge there.

On 8/28/2019 at 10:07 PM, Goran Paulinič said:

I was on a travel for one week. Came back. Tried #2.5. Epic fail.
GHP grippers ( from #3 to #8) which I ordered came from USA yesterday. GHP 8 is like a brick! :)  GHP 5 is somewhere between COC 2 and COC 2.5. That is good. I have a small bridge there.

I had a few weeks off with a wrist injury to my left hand recently and I lost a bit of strength in that time, it's coming back quite fast though. I'd just got to the stage where I could close it with the left before the injury and I'm almost back to that point.

I woke up with a dislocated knee this morning at about 3am, it took almost ten minutes to get it to go back where it was meant to be. There's no cartilage in there so no damage done, I just lost a bit of sleep.

Today's grip training - right hand, the left is still a bit down.
GHP4 - 5 reps, CoC #2 - 3 reps, CoC # 2.5 - 3 singles, missed the first one by about 2mm and struggled with it for almost ten seconds but couldn't quite get a touch. All from a wide set.

Laddered back down through the lighter grippers almost repping out.

50lb plate pinch - 6R, 6L just hovered it on the last 3 reps with left.

Played with a Holle dumbbell until it started to spin, didn't count reps

5 sets both ways with a wrist roller I made the other day - 12kg

• Like 2

I hope that dislocation wasn’t as painful as it sounds. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

I hope that dislocation wasn’t as painful as it sounds. 

No it wasn't serious, I just rolled over in bed and the bottom half of my leg didn't come with me. It took a while to get it back in but after I did it was fine. There's no ligaments left to damage so it's all good. If it dislocates while I'm walking then that's a bit different, I end up on crutches for about 4 weeks.

• Confused 1

Yikes. 

Sports injury?

The first time was just a torn ACL when I stepped off the back of a motorbike that I flipped at about 60mph. Then I finished the job when I was hit by a car on a pushbike, I ended up with my foot rotated almost 180 degrees and bent 90 degrees sideways. I broke both wrists, a collarbone and a vertebra in my back too. I'm mostly OK now but the knee will never be the same.

• Sad 1

So, can you squeeze #2.5 or not? As I understood it you manage to do two singles with #2.5. Is that correct?
I am still struggling with it. High-low reps didn't work as planned. But a plan didn't work as planned too. :) Travel messed things a little. I am back on track now.
I tried GHP 5 the other day and I almost closed it from TNS with right hand. 1 mm was missing.

5 minutes ago, Goran Paulinič said:

So, can you squeeze #2.5 or not? As I understood it you manage to do two singles with #2.5. Is that correct?
I am still struggling with it. High-low reps didn't work as planned. But a plan didn't work as planned too. :) Travel messed things a little. I am back on track now.
I tried GHP 5 the other day and I almost closed it from TNS with right hand. 1 mm was missing.

No @Goran Paulinič, I still can't quite close it from a wide set, I've about 1-2 mm left to go. Those other closes were from a deep set and they were just mini reps where I barely opened the handles.

I had a few near-misses on my bike over the years and eventually sold it as a result. Glad you made it out alive!

• Like 1

I had a few other accidents as well, one with a car and 2 where I was sideswiped by trucks. After the second one with a truck I finally got the message and gave up on riding on the road. I got messed up pretty badly that time too.

I had a variety day today where I just did singles with kettlebells and did a few pullups etc. My 13 YO son had a bit of fun too and I made a vid of some the stuff he did. It was his first weighted pullup attempt (+8kg) and his first try with a #1 gripper. He tried the trainer a minute or so after his weighted pullup and missed, so he tried again a few minutes later and did a bit better, I'm not sure they were full closes but they were close. Then he had a crack at #1 gripper, he didn't get it but it wasn't a bad effort for his first try.

• Like 4

That’s commendable for 13! 

• Like 1

Thanks Eric!

He did a bit better with the trainer the other day when he set it properly but he hasn't got that worked out yet and it kept slipping after he set it today. I'm in two minds about letting him use them at 13 but he doesn't train, it's just a bit of fun for him. I don't want him doing anything serious until he's a bit older but he enjoys it, so if it's not causing any pain once or twice a week should be OK.  

Edited by Raymond
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Raymond said:

Thanks Eric!

He did a bit better with the trainer the other day when he set it properly but he hasn't got that worked out yet and it kept slipping after he set it today. I'm in two minds about letting him use them at 13 but he doesn't train, it's just a bit of fun for him. I don't want him doing anything serious until he's a bit older but he enjoys it, so if it's not causing any pain once or twice a week should be OK.  

I agree. 

I started lifting heavy when I was 13 with no noticeable ill effects, at least not physically. 🧐 But your approach is probably wiser. If anything, I’d maybe limit training to high reps at that age. 

• Like 1

I did a gripper training session. I was a bit down on strength, I don't know if it was the plate pinches I did over the weekend or if it was all the vodka I drank, maybe it was a bit of both.

After a warmup with the lighter grippers.

Right hand CoC # 2 - 3 singles, CoC # 2.5 - 3 singles missed by about 3-4mm, CoC # 3 - 1 deep set and hold, missed by about 13-14mm

Same format with the left maxing out at #2 ( missed that by a few mm too)

Squat mae geri's between sets 6 x 15 reps

Fat bar pullups on revolving handles 6 x 3 reps

6 x 15 pushups, super setted with the pullups.

I made a rolling handle a bit like a trilobyte today and gave that a test run, I got 56kg up without too much trouble but I don't think I'm good for too much more, maybe about 60 -65 kg would be my limit with that thing without a bit of practice.

It's not as good as the real thing but it only cost me $7 to make and it will get me started.

Edited by Raymond
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Goran Paulinič said:

Diameter of that roll is? I would like to compare it with my implement that I made. It has static handle but diameter is about the same.

It's 2.385" or just over 60.5mm outside diameter.

It's got four bearings in it but they're cheap Chinese crap, so it didn't spin as well I'd hoped.

Mine is 90 mm. But it's ok. Nothing professional yet. Just to train holding oblique grip. I've learned from Joe Musselwhite that all muscles in forearm are firing at holding something in oblique grip (maybe it is an evolutional thing. Spears, handles, stones,..all is held in that way). It is the best way to build general forearm strength.