Lobster Log

50 minutes ago, DrLobsterHands said:

My crazy idea is to build up to 15 x 15 reps in a day. Then switch to the #2 when I'm conditioned by all the brutal volume.

By the way, can anyone advise me how to improve my set ?

So glad to see you back at it regular!

I’ve been doing sets of 15-20 with the #2 lately and I’m not consistently closing a 140 lbs #3 right now. Just a data point as you consider timing.   

Just search YouTube for “setting a gripper”.  The first 8 results are all great. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DrLobsterHands

• Cannon

• jchapman

• Fist of Fury

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good luck on your journey. I have a few suggestions if you really want to complete this goal: 1. I would practice specifically parallel set once you have other grippers and work on perfecting the

Dude, I’m rooting for you. I agree with Vinnie that I don’t want you to get discouraged if it takes longer.  I have always been among the smallest (thinnest) guys hanging around.  I’m about 160 soakin

- DrLobsterhands

Posted Images

Hopefully

I personally believe the 15x15 will give you nothing on the #2. The best approach is probably filing your #1 and work up from sets of 5 or something. I'd love to be wrong here though.

Slippery Pete

Most people never close CoC#3. Those who make it probably works for it for a year or even years. 

You want to go from a beginner to close #3 in three months. WITHOUT training with heavy grippers. 

I have no idea. You might make it. But the mindset is just really strange to me. With a short term goal like that you cant really be scared of overtraining or injuries. 

I'm not trying to be mean or anything. I just dont know if you understand what you are up against.  

• Thanks 1

Plan your work and work your plan.  I think you're making really quick progress, actually.  We want to see you make your goal, but for gripper training in general, you're making steady good gains. 

• Like 1
Fist of Fury

Just keep doing what you're doing, as long as you make progress it's all good.

If you can close the #3 in three months or not depends entirely on your genetics and not how you train. IMHO.

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Just keep doing what you're doing, as long as you make progress it's all good.

If you can close the #3 in three months or not depends entirely on your genetics and not how you train. IMHO.

100% truth 

I agree with the recent posts.  Closing the 3# will come if you are determined, but the time frame will need to be extended.  Also, the training that gets you to the 2.5# may not get you to the 3#.  You may have to adjust your training as you get stronger.

Boulderbrew
On 11/15/2018 at 8:27 AM, Cannon said:

I think you're making really quick progress, actually.

My thoughts exactly. I have been lurking this workout thread since the beginning. Initially I figured it would take you a long time to successfully close the #2, but here we are. I don’t think high volume/easy gripper work will get you further. Grippers require neuromuscular adaptation and a primed CNS. These things are trained when using heavy grippers. Slamming a #1 until you are blue in the face seems masturbatory

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...