NoSet

NoSet

Hello,

I have come across a video of Magnus Samuelsson on Youtube that shows him closing a Captains of Crush Gripper. As I haven't heard of CoC Grippers at all I started to search the internet for grippers and was amazed how strong you need to be to close one of those monsters and I want to be a monster too! After reading some of the articles here on the board I have decided to close all the original Ironmind Captain's of Crush grippers without setting them with my other hand. I picked up the hardest gripper I could find on a sports store to do some warm up training and ordered a point five and a #1 online the day before yesterday to see where I am at.

This training log will be no set training only with the gripper being put on a table after each close and only touching it with one hand at a time.

Here we go:

9/6/18

90 lbs store gripper

21x left

43x right

9/7/18

90 lbs store gripper

25x left

49x right

13 hours ago, NoSet said:

This training log will be no set training only with the gripper being put on a table after each close and only touching it with one hand at a time.

Good luck with your training!  

The part I clipped above is not entirely necessary, but there is no harm in starting out that way.  Grippers are not that much different from training other movements.  👍🏼

8 hours ago, Cannon said:

The part I clipped above is not entirely necessary, but there is no harm in starting out that way.  Grippers are not that much different from training other movements.  👍🏼

I’ll go further and say this will hinder his progress.

Edited by Chez

On 9/8/2018 at 2:22 PM, Cannon said:

Cheers, Cannon! Good luck with your training too! In order to get better at something you just need to do it. At least in my opinion.

22 hours ago, Chez said:

I’ll go further and say this will hinder his progress.

Don't know what you are talking about but we will see.

Ironmind grippers haven't arrived yet so...

9/8/18

90 lbs store gripper

36x left (+11)

58x right (+9)

9/9/18

90 lbs store gripper

39x left (+3)

58x right (+0) 😒

I'll try and elaborate on what both Chez and I meant, although I don't intend to speak for him. 

Imagine only training bench press by racking every single rep, standing up, shaking out your arms, then laying back down, getting tight again and starting over.  It's silly to think about.  This is what I mean that training grippers is not different from any other movement.  It's admirable that you want to close all reps in a certain strict manner.  But I think most guys training grippers will tell you this is not the best way to get stronger INCLUDING getting stronger at closing grippers with no set. 

At minimum, a change I would suggest to your routine is to begin each set with no set like you wanted, but then do the subsequent REPS without setting down the gripper and losing tension.  Just open the gripper as wide as comfortable and do the reps that way.  You might need to split the 40-50 reps you're doing into multiple sets, but I would argue that's a welcome change as well.  

You can, of course, do whatever you like!  At the start here you'll see gains from almost anything as long as you're doing work.

• Like 1

I think it's great that you're going to use a No Set. But keep in mind that Magnus didn't use a No Set when he closed the #4 and there's a good reason for that.

On 9/10/2018 at 6:17 PM, Cannon said:

I'll try and elaborate on what both Chez and I meant, although I don't intend to speak for him. 

Imagine only training bench press by racking every single rep, standing up, shaking out your arms, then laying back down, getting tight again and starting over.  It's silly to think about.  This is what I mean that training grippers is not different from any other movement.  It's admirable that you want to close all reps in a certain strict manner.  But I think most guys training grippers will tell you this is not the best way to get stronger INCLUDING getting stronger at closing grippers with no set. 

At minimum, a change I would suggest to your routine is to begin each set with no set like you wanted, but then do the subsequent REPS without setting down the gripper and losing tension.  Just open the gripper as wide as comfortable and do the reps that way.  You might need to split the 40-50 reps you're doing into multiple sets, but I would argue that's a welcome change as well.  

You can, of course, do whatever you like!  At the start here you'll see gains from almost anything as long as you're doing work.

Thank you for explaining that to me, Cannon. It is indeed silly to think about bench pressing like that.

If I use your anology between no set grippers and bench press I wouldn't be able to lift the bar off the rack at all as my pinky barely touches the opposing handle (I got 7" hands). How do you train this?

I appreciate your advice as you got a lot of experience and I will keep your suggestions in mind until I reach a point where progress is no longer possible. Thanks!

On 9/10/2018 at 6:39 PM, Fist of Fury said:

I think it's great that you're going to use a No Set. But keep in mind that Magnus didn't use a No Set when he closed the #4 and there's a good reason for that.

Cheers, Fist of Fury! I know it hasn't been done yet but at least closing a #3 without setting it should be possible for me although I am miles away from beeing capable to do so. Maybe even a #3.5, who knows?

9/10/18

90 lbs store gripper

43x left (+4)

63x right (+5)

Ironmind grippers were in the mail today. The #0.5 feels a lot different than my shitty store gripper and gets much harder right before the handles touch. They are very nice high quality grippers though! Kept the #1 in its blister for now because I'm really weak.

Tuesday

#0.5

9x left

17x right

Need some time before switching to the #1 I guess.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t change anything else for now. You’re putting in reps which is all that matters early. 

Just “no set” the FIRST rep but after that open each rep as wide as comfortable without your fingers slipping off.  

In this manner you are still working “no set” FORM with your finger positioning and how the gripper sits in your palm, but will have much more time under tension with the following reps. 

Otherwise just stick to your plan and do tons of reps when your hands are fresh. 

👊🏼

On 9/12/2018 at 1:30 AM, Cannon said:

Good work on the 0.5!

Cheers!

On 9/12/2018 at 1:39 AM, Cannon said:

I wouldn’t change anything else for now. You’re putting in reps which is all that matters early. 

I won't until I reach a plateau. Thanks for your suggestions! I will keep them in mind!

9/12/2018

#0.5

8x left (-1)

17x right (+0)

9/13/2018

#0.5

7x left (-1)

19x right (+2)

9/16/18

#0.5

7x1 left (+0)

23x1 right (+1)

6x1 left

9/17/18

#0.5

7x1 left (+0)

22x1 right (-1)

5x1 left

9/18/18

#0.5

8x1 left (+1)

25x1 right (+3)

6x1 left

9/19/18

2x1 left

6x1 right

#0.5

5x1 left

15x1 right

Trainer

11x1 left

17x1 right

Gave the #1 a shot. Honestly I didn't think I'd be able to close it with my left. Oh, well. Also bought a "Secret Weapon". Will try that one next friday.

Edited by NoSet
typo