WestSlope

Congratulations on taking 3rd at LL. Strong showing with grippers, Saxon and picking the Inch. What did you think of the hammer event? Others have written that in wasn't really a test wrist strength, but it looked like it was the way you did it.

• Like 1

EricMilfeld

Yes, great performance, Aaron!

Total gripper devastation. 

• Like 1

acorn
14 hours ago, WestSlope said:

Congratulations on taking 3rd at LL. Strong showing with grippers, Saxon and picking the Inch. What did you think of the hammer event? Others have written that in wasn't really a test wrist strength, but it looked like it was the way you did it.

Thank you! The hammer was tough. I had not trained with a double hammer at all. Only single a few times and never exceeding a 10# hammer. I have not watched any video of any of the events, mine or otherwise. All I know is I could definitely feel it in my wrists and forearms on the 25# and the attempted 27.5# hammers. Thought I had perhaps injured wrists a bit after the 27.5 attempt but they felt better the next day with some rest and hot epsom salt bath soak. I was happy with the way grippers went. Felt reasonably strong on them. On Saxon and Axle I never felt like I really was hooking up solid on the bar. I should have brought my own chalk. I ended up using whatever was in the chalk bucket and it felt like talcum powder to me. Later after those events Luke offered for me to use some of his chalk which worked better when I got to the Inch and blob event. Felt like I was getting proper friction with that. Live and learn.

• Like 2

acorn
14 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

Yes, great performance, Aaron!

Total gripper devastation. 

Thanks buddy!

• Like 1

acorn

Yesterday I had another PT session. They did some Graston scraping on my left pec, shoulder, lat, tricep and forearm. Some places it was painful but wonderful. Others it was excruciating and bruising. Most places it felt super crunchy as they scraped. Lots of scar tissue and adhesions according to the guy doing it. Yay!

• Like 2

acorn

Had PT yesterday morning. Pec got needled again and he hit the nerve cluster first try. Ouchy. 

Last night I did a little bench, grippers and Standing OHP. Bench I went as high as 3x315 paused (about 75% of previous 1RM) to test how it felt. Grippers I went not too heavy. No higher than a #3 for bunch of blockset reps. Got a PR on the Standing OHP though. Worked up to 6x 215 on the axle. Missed 7th rep half way up. Strict with no dip. Followed a few minutes later with slow grinding max at 265# 

• Like 4

Shoggoth

Strong pressing duder!

acorn
19 minutes ago, Shoggoth said:

Strong pressing duder!

Gracias!

acorn

Trained last night Did more testing the waters on Bench last night first. Worked up to a very fast and technically sound paused single at 365. Pretty happy with that. Next did a circuit of grippers, standing OHP and curls. Worked up to 4x 169# #3.5, 5x 225# OHP and strict curl 3x 165#

Happy with the numbers as I felt super flat at the beginning and all the way through bench. Didn't start feeling like I was warming up til last set of bench. before the other stuff.

Aaron

• Like 4

acorn

Trained a little axle last weekend both cleans and DL. Felt pretty weak though. Worked up to 3 sets of 2 or 3 at 175 on the clean. Cleaned first rep from ground then catch and hang clean next 2 reps without setting down. DL worked up to 335 conventional then 355 Sumo with long hold at top on the singles.

Last night had a very good session and sore today.

Worked up to 365 x 3 on bench. First 2 reps of the 3 rep set were paused with someone giving press signal. I call that a PR. followed with drop set at 9x315# of touch and go.

OHP worked up to 5x225#. Last rep was tough but not limit. Better than last time I did this weight.

Grippers worked up to 2x 149# #3 Block set reps LH, and 4x 169# #3.5 Block set reps with a 2x 176# Block set reps set following. Not sure I got a full close on 2nd rep of that though. Would be close either way.

Watching the video it kinda looks like my thumb pad and heel of hand muscle are starting to look like a butt. Or is it just me seeing that and wishful thinking?

• Like 4

acorn

Came to the realization over the weekend when trying to do some 1H Axle DL work that I can no longer touch the tip of my thumb and middle finger around the 2" bar.

Hand Thickness on point!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

acorn

Signed up for a USPA PL meet on Oct 27th for Bench Only and Master div. Looking forward to giving it a try and see if I can get close to 400# with a proper pause in a sanctioned meet.

- Aaron

• Like 5

WestSlope
2 hours ago, acorn said:

Signed up for a USPA PL meet on Oct 27th for Bench Only and Master div. Looking forward to giving it a try and see if I can get close to 400# with a proper pause in a sanctioned meet.

- Aaron

Keep that pec healthy and good luck!

acorn
17 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Keep that pec healthy and good luck!

Thanks and I am trying. Soreness starting to subside a little from last Weds workout on schedule for this coming one.

acorn

Last night I worked up to a paused single on Bench for my intended opener in my contest gear. Got the Singlet in yesterday and had it on under my Tshirt and shorts to get the feel for it. Ditched the elbow sleeves on top 2 singles as well. Got 385# for for the top one with brief pause as well as hold before and after to simulate start, press, and rack commands. Had someone call those on 365x1 set before but they were not handy on the top set. I think the 385 moved reasonably quick, though it definitely felt heavy with the pause. Dropped down to 9x315 with no pauses after. May have had another rep in me but was running out of steam so went ahead and racked it. 2 1/2 weeks out from PL meet right now and plan to start lightening up as CNS was feeling pretty beat up. OHP was subpar and did not hit intended double at 245. Only got a single there. Grippers 169# #3.5 I got for 4 with block set swipes last week I barely got for 1. Felt pretty wiped out physically and CNS wise. Glad I tested in contest gear though so I have some idea what it is gonna feel like. 

- Aaron

• Like 3

EricMilfeld

Wow. Solid pause and then you launched it like a rocket ship!

acorn
20 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Wow. Solid pause and then you launched it like a rocket ship!

Thanks buddy. I'm planning to do this 175kg for the opener, 180kg for the 2nd and think I can get that. Then if that goes well shoot for 182.5 or 185 for the 3rd. Will be my first real PL comp. Also noticed that the class I am doing in USPA doesn't have a state record for Masters 45-49, 308 class, BP only. So maybe that will happen somehow.

The guy spotting me was bugging me hard to try 405 but I am glad I didn't cave. Trying to save it for the comp.

Edited by acorn
  • Like 3

EricMilfeld

Yeah, I think you made the right call saving it for the meet. No doubt 402 will happen. 

• Like 1

AdamTGlass

White lights on that Aaron. 

• Like 1

Shoggoth

Snappy!

• Like 1