acorn

Elbow was bugging me on Saturday 2/16/2019. It took a few low weight sets on the Saxon to even tolerate adding weight. Worked up to 231 for a triple I think and called it quits on those. Took a few toys into the gym as well for folks to try. Worked up to 2x1x 162# on the Inch handle RH, Curl and Pressed the Inch Handle with 100# on it, and worked up to 175Kg in plates on the 2" Napalms Nitemare. First time trying that one. Also reverse bent a 60d nail to show technique and hearted a horseshoe.

Was a fun session getting lots of gym goers involved other than the left Elbow pain.

Deload this week now.

• Like 5

Tommy J.
18 hours ago, acorn said:

Elbow was bugging me on Saturday 2/16/2019. It took a few low weight sets on the Saxon to even tolerate adding weight. Worked up to 231 for a triple I think and called it quits on those. Took a few toys into the gym as well for folks to try. Worked up to 2x1x 162# on the Inch handle RH, Curl and Pressed the Inch Handle with 100# on it, and worked up to 175Kg in plates on the 2" Napalms Nitemare. First time trying that one. Also reverse bent a 60d nail to show technique and hearted a horseshoe.

Was a fun session getting lots of gym goers involved other than the left Elbow pain.

Deload this week now.

Your Saxon work is killer if 231 for a triple is a bad day!

175k on the 2” nn for a first try is also killer!

and man we can relate to the having fun with gym goers. Often times they stop briefly to watch us lift stuff, but every once in a while they come over and engage with us. So far we’ve had a couple funny ones. One guy came over and asked us if we had heard of Jujimufu since he noticed we were doing grip stuff. Another guy mentioned that he was a good arm wrestler then quickly moved on after i said im a top 10 Texas puller in the 242 class. 😆

then just this weekend a guy came over to Eric, Adam, Tanner and I and asked us if we had heard of Joe Kinney. As we all sort of said “yep we’ve heard of him” he seemed surprised. Then right after that i said “all 4 of us have closed the #3 officially, and also done the red nail bend.” It was funny his reaction to that.. lol! He was astounded. Verbally and with his facial expressions. Its prolly not often, or ever maybe, that a guy just stumbled upon that many established grip guys lifting in one spot that wasn’t in a comp setting, or some sort of venue.

We all got a kick out of all 3 scenarios! 🤣 

acorn
4 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Your Saxon work is killer if 231 for a triple is a bad day!

175k on the 2” nn for a first try is also killer!

and man we can relate to the having fun with gym goers. Often times they stop briefly to watch us lift stuff, but every once in a while they come over and engage with us. So far we’ve had a couple funny ones. One guy came over and asked us if we had heard of Jujimufu since he noticed we were doing grip stuff. Another guy mentioned that he was a good arm wrestler then quickly moved on after i said im a top 10 Texas puller in the 242 class. 😆

then just this weekend a guy came over to Eric, Adam, Tanner and I and asked us if we had heard of Joe Kinney. As we all sort of said “yep we’ve heard of him” he seemed surprised. Then right after that i said “all 4 of us have closed the #3 officially, and also done the red nail bend.” It was funny his reaction to that.. lol! He was astounded. Verbally and with his facial expressions. Its prolly not often, or ever maybe, that a guy just stumbled upon that many established grip guys lifting in one spot that wasn’t in a comp setting, or some sort of venue.

We all got a kick out of all 3 scenarios! 🤣 

Thanks buddy! Hope you guys can make it out for the April comp. 

That's always fun when someone knows just a little about something in grip.

Aaron

acorn

Hit the gym last night. Deload week and thank goodness. It was glorious being able to go light and easy.

2-20-2019

Jump rope - 1min

Squats 5x45#, 5x135#, 5x 150#, 5x 185#, 5x 225#

Bench 5x135#, 5x 165#, 5x 205#

Grippers #Tx10, 7x #1.5

LH 0x #2 (elbow)

RH 5x #2, 7x 134# #2.5

Light Work on prototype

Stretching

Working on knots in left forearm with baseball rolling

• Like 1

acorn

I'm eyeballing the Rogue 25Kg plates at the gym for some future pinch attempts. They look way less slippery than my Eleikos.

:D

• Like 2

acorn

Trained on Saturday 2/23. Still having trouble with slipping on the saxon. Gonna try a new coating for next time. Brought the hub with me as I thought it would be fun to try. Need to try a 2 - 45's stacked hub lift again.

Worked up to Saxon attempt at 252# - miss below knees. Then tried 242# miss at lockout.

CTS solid mount Hub - worked up to 90#, miss at 100# (barely stirred)

Inch handle worked up to solid lift at 167# RH

• Like 1

Mike Rinderle
15 minutes ago, acorn said:

Trained on Saturday 2/23. Still having trouble with slipping on the saxon. Gonna try a new coating for next time. Brought the hub with me as I thought it would be fun to try. Need to try a 2 - 45's stacked hub lift again.

Worked up to Saxon attempt at 252# - miss below knees. Then tried 242# miss at lockout.

CTS solid mount Hub - worked up to 90#, miss at 100# (barely stirred)

Inch handle worked up to solid lift at 167# RH

Great stuff Aaron.  How much do you get out of the tilt on the Saxon?  I've never tried one.  I did 205 for a couple singles on my 2" pinch block today, but it attaches at the bottom of the 8" block so there is 0 tilt.  

acorn
Just now, Mike Rinderle said:

Great stuff Aaron.  How much do you get out of the tilt on the Saxon?  I've never tried one.  I did 205 for a couple singles on my 2" pinch block today, but it attaches at the bottom of the 8" block so there is 0 tilt.  

Thanks, I might get a little but not much if any at max weight. Lower weights though I can tilt the piss out of it.

• Thanks 1

Mike Rinderle
20 minutes ago, acorn said:

Thanks, I might get a little but not much if any at max weight. Lower weights though I can tilt the piss out of it.

Thanks! Sorry for all the questions, but what width is it?

acorn
Just now, Mike Rinderle said:

Thanks! Sorry for all the questions, but what width is it?

No worries on the questions. the bar is a 2" wide by 5" tall profile. If it was 2x4 tilt would be more of a factor at max weight.

- Aaron

• Thanks 1

acorn

Trained last night at the gym. Squats the back wasn't feeling super solid so I cut it short on 2nd to the last set. Bench went well and saw a little improvement on grippers even though they didn't feel very strong. Snapped a selfie after the forearm work too. hahaha

2/27/2019

Squats (Axle Bar)

4x bar, 5x 124#, 5x 154#, 3x 191#, 5x 224#, 5x 252#, 4x 284#

Bench

5x 135#, 5x 170#, 3x205#, 5x 225#, 5x 255#, 8x 290# (first 7 were paused)

1 Arm Bent Over Rows (with Barbell)

5x 155/arm

Lying Tricep Extensions (past head)

10x 155#

Grippers

LH - #T x 10

RH - #Tx10, #1.5 x 5, 134# x 3, 149# x 5, 169# x 1 (20mm BS), 176# x almost 2 (missed 2nd by a hair) - 20mm Block Set

Grip work on prototype

KB snatch - 1x 48KG - RH

Therabar rehab - Tyler Twist 2x 15r per arm

Therabar Radial and Ulnar Deviation work, as well as pronation and supination

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuaV5ScAKXp/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Edited by acorn
  • Like 4

EricMilfeld

Dang. Looks like you photoshopped a leg where your arm goes. 

acorn
7 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Dang. Looks like you photoshopped a leg where your arm goes. 

I know. No photoshop though. Drumstick anyone? BW last night at the gym was 288#. I measured the bicep and forearm this morning out of curiosity. Bicep was 19", Forearm with arm straight, cold and wrist bent was 15 1/2". I think that is the biggest cold measurement of my forearm that I can remember.

• Like 2

EricMilfeld

Yeah, that’s Big. 

acorn
5 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Yeah, that’s Big. 

T.W.S.S haha

• Haha 4

acorn

First goal achieved for the year. 

• Like 6

Mike Rinderle

Great stuff!

• Thanks 1

EricMilfeld

Strong!

acorn
2 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

Strong!

Thank you. I'm working on getting back there.

• Like 1

acorn

Training from Saturday. Saxon bar not where I was hoping but new coating a bit better. Just gotta get it seasoned now. Had a nice overhead press at the end of the workout as well and hit my goal on that exercise for the year. Vid posted above. Changed up the pinch training a bit too, to add some more fun into the workout. Left elbow still giving me some trouble and I have scaled back auxiliary work on that side.

3/2/2019

KB swings superset with KB snatches 24kg - 5x sw -> 5x snatch 

Saxon bar pinch DL - 5x 120#, 5x 141#, 5x 141#, 3x 191#, 2x 221#, 2x 221#, 1 1/2 rep x 241#, 2x 241#, 2x 221#

Inch Handle DL - 2x 100#, 2x 144#, 1x 164#, 1x 164#, 1x 144# ~ 5sec hold, 1x 144# ~ 5 sec

48mm pinch block sled drag (Rogue Sled on astroturf) - 90# in plates Plus training partner Steve riding on sled - Down and back, maybe 20yards each way.

Hub lift - CTS hub solid mount to plate stack. Attempt at 2x 45# plates with hub bolted through middle. About 95#. Broke off ground.

Standing Overhead Press - 5x 135#, 3x 185#, 1x 205#, 1x 225#

Therabar tennis elbow rehab work and stretching.

- Aaron

• Like 4

acorn
Posted (edited)

Trained last night at the gym. Warmups on squats something felt weird with left leg. Sartorius muscle maybe? Didn't feel pulled but just didn't feel good squatting down with even light weight so I cut those short. I guess I need to do a bunch of rollering and stretching. Everything else went ok. Skipped grippers on LH as elbow hurt even with Trainer. Tried doing my rows with 2" DB this time instead of full size Oly barbell. The 2" handle made it much harder. Didn't even get a single LH due to elbow when picking it. Vid of RH on that at bottom of the post. Also one of the local guys @benjaminBoy joined me for the training session and that was cool. Little bit of tenderness in Left Pec after the workout too so I worked the area with softball and stretched. I think I had a pec tear in that area about 8 yrs ago so watching real close on my bench technique to make sure I am not flaring elbows or going too wide.

3/6/2019

Squats - 5x 135#, 5x185# 

Bench

6x 135# (Close Grip), 5x 155#, 5x 185#, 3x 225#, 3x 240#, 3x 275#, 6x 305# (first 4 paused)

2" handle DB bent over rows - LH 0x 160#, RH 4x 160#

Lying Tricep Extension past head - 10x 155#

Grippers

LH - #t x3

RH - 10x #T, 5x #1.5, 3x #2, 3x 134#, 5x 149#, 1x 169# 20mm BS, 1x 176# 20mm BS, 185# miss by hair with 20mm BS

Grip work on prototype

Thera Bar work 

Tyler Twist - 2x 15r per arm

Radial and ulnar deviation x 15r

Band work for rotator cuffs 3 ways circuit x2

Stretching and work on the pec and shoulders with softball.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BusXkiMgcVZ

Edited by acorn
  • Like 4

Tommy J.
14 hours ago, acorn said:

Trained last night at the gym. Warmups on squats something felt weird with left leg. Sartorius muscle maybe? Didn't feel pulled but just didn't feel good squatting down with even light weight so I cut those short. I guess I need to do a bunch of rollering and stretching. Everything else went ok. Skipped grippers on LH as elbow hurt even with Trainer. Tried doing my rows with 2" DB this time instead of full size Oly barbell. The 2" handle made it much harder. Didn't even get a single LH due to elbow when picking it. Vid of RH on that at bottom of the post. Also one of the local guys @benjaminBoy joined me for the training session and that was cool. Little bit of tenderness in Left Pec after the workout too so I worked the area with softball and stretched. I think I had a pec tear in that area about 8 yrs ago so watching real close on my bench technique to make sure I am not flaring elbows or going too wide.

3/6/2019

Squats - 5x 135#, 5x185# 

Bench

6x 135# (Close Grip), 5x 155#, 5x 185#, 3x 225#, 3x 240#, 3x 275#, 6x 305# (first 4 paused)

2" handle DB bent over rows - LH 0x 160#, RH 4x 160#

Lying Tricep Extension past head - 10x 155#

Grippers

LH - #t x3

RH - 10x #T, 5x #1.5, 3x #2, 3x 134#, 5x 149#, 1x 169# 20mm BS, 1x 176# 20mm BS, 185# miss by hair with 20mm BS

Grip work on prototype

Thera Bar work 

Tyler Twist - 2x 15r per arm

Radial and ulnar deviation x 15r

Band work for rotator cuffs 3 ways circuit x2

Stretching and work on the pec and shoulders with softball.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BusXkiMgcVZ

If your reps are accurate with a bench calculator, this set represents a 367lb 1rm.

that is awesome!

acorn
8 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

If your reps are accurate with a bench calculator, this set represents a 367lb 1rm.

that is awesome!

Thanks, I got 365 about 6 weeks ago but it was touch and go. I'm alot closer to getting that paused now I think, if not able to now. Touch and go I think 385 might go now as I could probably add a couple reps to that 305x6 if I wasn't pausing at all. Happy with the progress and trying to not get injured.

- Aaron

• Like 2

acorn

Trained on Saturday. Left elbow still bugging me. Did some testing as well. The sled pull nearly had my heart come out my mouth after that. I paced off the pull area and it is 20yrds one way.

3/9/2019

KB Swings right into snatches - 24KG x 10 swings -> 10 snatches each arm

Saxon bar Pinch DL - 6x 130#, 6x 130#, 3x 181#, 3x 201#, 3x 221#, 3x 241#, 1x 261#, 0x 271# ( about 8")

Inch handle work RH only - 2x 100#, 2x 122#, 2x 144#, 1x 164#, 0x 174#, 1x 169#

2" DB handle - 0x 210# ( about 4")

Standing Overhead Press - 6x 185#

48mm pinch block sled drag - 270# x 20yrds, push 10yrds, pinch pull 10yrds

Sore today.

• Like 4

acorn

Trained last night. I think I may have dinged my middle finger right hand some as there is some swelling and can't quite bend enough to touch tip to palm. I think it will be ok by contest time if I don't make it any worse though.Didn't feel a pop or anything but I went kinda heavy with the prototype and it is probably related to that. Iced this morning. I didn't push too hard on bench last night either. Had some tenderness in the left pec near the shoulder and attachment area for the last few days. I had a small tear in that area probably 10yrs ago. Also some tenderness in front of left shoulder, probably rotator cuff muscle and still with the left Elbow and irritated Sartorius muscle on left leg so I skipped squats. So I didn't push for hard reps in my 1+ final Bench set. Whole damn left side having issues for some reason. Time to dial stuff back I guess before a major injury comes and work the rehab. After workout last night I did light band rotator cuff work and rollered the pec, shoulder, forearm and elbow with a baseball. Those are not feeling too bad today. Attached is vid of the Top Bench set and a sled drag from weekend before last.

3/13/2019

BW 286#

KB Swings into snatches - 36Kg

LH 5x Swings -> 2 snatches

RH 5x Swings -> 2 snatches -> 3 presses

Bench

5x 135#, 5x 135#, 5x 175#, 3x 205#, 5x 255#, 3x 290#, 4x 325# (first 2 paused)

Grippers RH only

10x #T, 5x #1.5, 4x #2, 4x 134#, 3x 149#, 1x 165#, 1x 176# (20mm)

Lying Tricep Extension

10x 160#

Grip work on Prototype

1H Bent over Barbell Rows LH only - 5x 160# (this hurt elbow)

2in DB Bent over Rows - RH only - 5x 160#

More work on Prototype

Band Rotator cuff work

Rollering and stretching

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPe9Fe5-mwz-z72_zTNwPyFznupjLRPe4LySDV4o9Lh-ENcqcWYVomLcujE9LUSKw?key=S29vYWJBb3JTem43ZW9ENTZfQnJQNmQ4eHhiWlZn

• Like 2