Gripper training opinion

Sapper88

Do you guys think it is best to complete all your Reps, for let's say a set of 5-10 reps, one hand before switching to the next or do you think alternating is better? It seems to me by alternating one might be able to use a heavier gripper due to the rest period being longer And in theory gain more strength that way. But the Reps in sequence also seem like it have some obvious benefits. Looking for what you guys think is the most effective method.

Ive had great success using reps.

ive always done 1 set of X reps each hand, rest 3 minutes do the next set of Reps each hand.

worked so well, that i went from 127 gripper to nearly closing a 178. 

Edit: I wanted to add that when I started repping stuff it was 20mm and mms sets. I cant say that repping would work on tns or cc sets for me. 

Edited by KapMan
  • Like 1

Hey man. Maybe it's an idea to start posting your workouts in this thread? Than you and we can monitor/help you perhaps with tips. 

I'd say that if you haven't trained grippers for long yet, probably like with 'normal' training, progress will come no matter what you do, as long as you stay consistent until you reach your natural plateau.

I don't believe in specific routines when someone is a beginner. Yes, it's smart to start working on all 'grip regions' when you are a beginner, but I think nobody starts training with the idea 'Ok I am going to develop all round strength which will suit me better for coming years'. No, someone picks up a certain implement and want's to kill big closes/lifts. That's how most guys brains work. Including mine. 

I attribute quick progress to big grippers in a short time for most guys more to natural strength levels which get kickstarted by the actual consistent use of that implement and maybe some technique tweaks, rather than smart programming. When you hit a plateau though, that's where shit hits the van and that's where you really have to get smart and start thinking about reps vs. singles etc. I build my base I guess more by singles throughout the years to answer your question, and a lot by trial and error. But that also got me injured more than a few times.  

Note: see how I marked the word 'consistent' every time? ;) Keyword for sure. 

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

I think it's the total volume that is the most important thing so if you're not able to get reps becuase you're tired, consider to take longer rests. It also depends on what level you're at. Closing big grippers (above #3) requires a lot of setting strength, so you can't easily just go back and forth between right and left without resting.

• Like 1

I train each hand separately on different days. I use to train them both on the same day but I noticed I would get tired and one hand's training would suffer. Splitting them up works best for me since I can really focus on that one hand.  

• Like 2

The one thing I can add is when I injured my right hand, lefty grippers went up fast.

What I learned from that is trying to force reps just does not work.

Separate days for each hand is a great idea. Its so tempting, but nobody is going to have equal gripper strength both hands. Split them up before you're forced to by an injury.