Wobbler log

wobbler

Pinch today, first time in a while and not super rested, thumb skin not ready, left hand was being stubborn, but now that I'm out of excuses, can't complain. Righty: 74.6 blockbuster, 81.6 flask, 68 gold bar. Previous prs 76.5/83/68 respectively.

100lb york rim lift, and finally got that york 4" shallow 45 hub with my left (at least it's good for something) and was super close right.

Might see 0.5-1lb increases next week, or might be able to jump up past previous prs, not sure but I think gold bar at least will be a new one.

Proud of that hub lift so here it is:

• 2 weeks later...

83.5 flask, 75 blockbuster, 100lb double faced york rim lift felt better,  will start trying to hold those. Rechalked goldbar but made it worse, no pr, did 60lbs holds about 8 sec right, 7 left.

84 flask, 76.9 blockbuster high pull, starting to hold onto that 100lb plate for a few seconds. 98.5 lbs on rotating 2" pinch block, then did some lighter wrist curl movements with it. Definitely different, and a good tool.

84.5 flask right, 83 left. 78.1 blockbuster right, pulled all the chalk off around 70lbs left and didn't feel like messing with it. 100lb york rim lift, starting to be able to call it a hold, 4-5 seconds right, maybe 3 left.

Tried to pinch my wide 35s, about 3.75" together, don't fit well, 71.1 lbs... skin started to tear before they came off the ground so I bailed, but getting close.

Been shooting for 85 flask this year so hopefully I can hit that next week.

Messed with gold bar some, did not go well, don't want to talk about it... Ran out of time for that rotating pinch block but I think I need to keep it in the rotation, may not look like much but a lot of wrist involved in pinch, especially on the blockbuster, so that might explain the big jump.

I also have a rotating 3x4 block that I haven't used yet, need to try the 3" side. The texture is good and I'd expect 90 to go. Stay tuned!

• Like 1

Got my 85 flask that was my goal for this yer, but I can tell pinch progress is stalled, either thickbar or vertical lifts up next.

Hopped 78.5 blockbuster but chalk wasn't cooperating. 

60lbs gold bar holds, 8-9 seconds right 7ish left, about 1 second improvement from 8/19. Slow and steady.

Thickbar... 154.75 2" bss handle, 125.55 fbbc 2.5 crusher, 104 lbs bss 3". 

Did a lot more reps than I had been doing with pinch, and in less time. Closest I've gotten to cardio in a while. Took a bunch of attempts on the 2" and might have had a little more in me, then ran out of steam for 2.5 and 3. Also a lot of attempts there trying to figure out where I was at. Need to think a little more, and maybe watch the time in between attempts.

Previous prs from last time I touched a rolling handle in mid May were 150, 127.6, 105. So can't complain about that. All things considered, expecting some decent jumps next week.

60 wrist wrench left, 70 right. I don't like it because I'm not good at it, so I'll keep it in the rotation.

My left arm has the palmaris longus muscle and right doesn't, it's basically an extra tendon that theoretically doesn't affect "grip strength" in the general sense, but I always feel it grinding as my wrist straightens out. Especially bad on wrist wrench, and thicker rolling handles. Google it, interesting stuff.

27 minutes ago, wobbler said:

My left arm has the palmaris longus muscle and right doesn't, it's basically an extra tendon that theoretically doesn't affect "grip strength" in the general sense, but I always feel it grinding as my wrist straightens out. Especially bad on wrist wrench, and thicker rolling handles. Google it, interesting stuff.

Verrry interesting. I had no idea people were born without this. I always thought it was a "claw" muscle though My right arm used to get very sharp pain in this area when trying to do wrist curls. Since doing a lot of therapeutic work over the last ten years it's not longer as sharp a pain but kind of an oddness, with a clicking and readjustment... if I can adjust it properly then I can wrist curl without discomfort. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 11:34 PM, Drygord said:

Verrry interesting. I had no idea people were born without this. I always thought it was a "claw" muscle though My right arm used to get very sharp pain in this area when trying to do wrist curls. Since doing a lot of therapeutic work over the last ten years it's not longer as sharp a pain but kind of an oddness, with a clicking and readjustment... if I can adjust it properly then I can wrist curl without discomfort. Thanks for sharing.

10 years? I better get started! Make a new thread about it in general section with details,  probably affects a lot of people.

2/2.5/3", 156.95/127.85/106.15 lbs.

Did some regular wrist wrench, and some reverse wound, reverse curls with it at 95 lbs. Those are way easy because it gets driven into your fingertips, but feels like a good thing to do after a bunch of thickbar. We'll see what my elbows say about it in the next few days.

Did some negative reps with a 43lb 5" round piece of steel, cheat it up with the other hand and then it's a balance between wrist and basically a round pinch grip. As if everything before wasn't enough, these hit you real deep in the forearm and I'm usually sore for 3 days.

2/2.5/3", ~159 / 129.4 / ~108. I'll give it 1-2 more weeks, nice even numbers of 160/130/110 would be great, but might not happen. My left hand is staying way behind on all thickbar.

New scale is +/- about 0.25lb depending on where I set it down, it's ok for thickbar but it would really mess up my pinch and hub, so I need to fix my big scale.

Also did this, it's a weird one, really hard. 24.3lb blob thumbless. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Surprisingly good session today. Usually I lift on Fridays after eating a bunch of food and sugar, but no go this week because life and stuff. I do intermittent fasting mon-thurs, usually 1 meal a day, sometimes a snack for dinner, glutamine every morning and if I'm sore, at night.

Weighed 182 with shoes and clothes at the start of the workout, which is a couple lbs light for me.

Figured my plan was messed up anyway so was drinking beer, 1 PBR before and 2 during.

Anyway, probably last week of thickbar, was looking for nice even numbers on 2/2.5/3" and got them. 160, 130.5, 110.25.

3 lifts each, I have about 20lbs of platemates and chains, so I load up the pin around 20lbs shy of my PR attempt. I hate changing weights on the pin, takes time, messes with the chalk on your hands, have to make sure you don't go too heavy, etc.

So 2" was 140/150/160

2.5" 120/125/130.5

3" 95/105/110.25

At the end did some (stay with me here) reverse wound, reverse wrist curls, with the wrist wrench. Wind it so it drives into your fingers instead of peeling your wrist open, lift overhand/straight arm, and just do a bunch of reps. You can go way heavier than a normal lift, or just use whatever weight and high reps. Seems to keep elbows happy, and it's in the air for a long time so stresses the lower back, but in a good way I think.

All these rolling handle lifts were pretty solid lockouts, way more convincing than what I did last week. Videos on my instagram if anyone is interested.

• 3 weeks later...

Took a couple weeks off, traveling, life, etc. Starting on vertical lifts, ironmind lbh, fbbc 2.5 jug, fbbc 2" vbar.

I remember now why I hate training vertical lifts. These more than anything else are so friction dependent. Chalk, humidity, temprature, to really get a good max the stars have to align.

I'm thinking the best way to measure progress will be timed holds at 80+% max.

Not sure about rules with moisture, my hands never sweat and I don't want to try for a max every week by getting them wet so... Timed holds it is.

Got 140 lbh, 170 2.5 jug first time with it, chalk not sticking well, and struggled with 200 vbar.

115 lbh about 11 second holds, I'll probably go up 5lbs next week.

Did some reps with 150ish jug and 170ish vbar focusing on slowing/stopping the rotation.

Probably give this 3 more weeks, just put in some work. I like these even less than thickbar, so will be glad to get back to hubs next I think.

• Like 1

Vertical again. 143.2 lbh right, shooting for 150 and will probably call it good when I get there, minimum 2 max 4 more weeks.

No jug pr despite what I thought was better chalking, may need to rub some off. Would like 180, ideally bodyweight, about 183. Short holds at 140 but couldn't quite stop the rotation.

Vbar reps at 175ish, reps with short holds at 150ish, slowing but not quite stopping rotation.

Then tried to clean a 45 by the hub, got it shoulder height but couldn't quite get it flipped over. Probably clean, and try to toss/catch a 35 next week. Should get both. And maybe a 45 clean, but won't be transferring it any time soon.

I think hub is up after vertical has run its course.

Vertical lifts still boring. 145.75 lbh, 176.05 2.5" jug, decent lbh hold with 125.35. A few vbar reps around 175 lbs.

Them some fun stuff with a 35lb plate (actual weight 35.95.)

Hub curls and hub clean/press, got both without much trouble. Only managed to toss and catch with right, left wasn't quite there.

Probably give it one more week on vertical before I go full on hubs. I'd still like 150 lbh / 180 2.5 jug, but it will either happen or it won't.

Other vids on instagram but here's the hub catch.

Signed up for gripmas! Ditching vertical lifts and am just going to do fun stuff aka stuff I'm good at.

78.7 blockbuster which at the moment would be 83k record (its at 77)

And 48lbs on the 5" bull ring, not many lifts on the board for that one but highest from all weight classes 49.45, I'm hoping to make it to 50 there.

IRob mind hub 65 was easy, 68 was hard. Would like to hit 70 but it's doubtful.

• 1 month later...

Did a little bending. 9/32×7 crs, video below. Felt pretty good. Also got .272x7 drill rod, moved pretty slow, springy. Got 10* on a 9/32×7 stainless fbbc bar, then did some isos at 170*, 150*, 120*. Index fingers need to get used to this again. Gonna try not to gain 10lbs this time around.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Donc101 said:

It’s great to see you hitting the bending!

Thanks man, what can I say, it's a gripmas miracle! It was good seeing you bend in person.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been slacking, holidays... Didn't gain any weight though. Easing into bending, got .302x7 drill rod from 130* to 90* (with a stop at 110, no endurance 😕 ) in BBW wraps, that was one of my iso bars so happy with that. Still building back up. Probably do some two hand pinch this weekend, finally got a pipe for the euro!

• Like 1

Two hand pinch, got a bit over 165 on the flask. I think I'll give this 4 weeks with flask (progress should be about stalled) and then next 2 weeks try to find my ideal euro width. Shooting for bodyweight 2hp and feeling good about getting there, 180ish.

Also did some pinch block curls, hit the fingers pretty hard. Starting slow, block and a 5 and a spin lock is about 19 lbs but the spin lock puts the weight out there a bit for some decent leverage.

Here's the 165 flask, also got a hold at the top with 160, vid on my instagram.

• Like 2

166.9 two hand flask, another hold with 159.95 for about 7 seconds, last week was about 5.

Did some pinch block curls, fat grip hammer curls, threw a chain on a 100lb plate and did some two hand blockbuster reps.

Need to set up a crossbar because I'm good for another few lbs. If I knew the height was there I could count it, but for now I'm sticking to a real soft "lock out". Basically if it doesn't start to slip at the top and looks high enough.

• Like 2

Bent some stuff. .272x7 drill rod went quick. Then lots of partials. Payed attention to where my index fingers go on the bar because my right is always destroyed, left is fine, so I adjusted the right and feels better than it ever has after bending.

Did some damage to a 1/4×6 g8 which is a first, got it to about 95* then later to about 80*. .302 and .2969 drill rod moving well, in BBW wraps so easier than IMPS that I've used in the past.

Realized some pain in my left hand is not from grip or bending, it's from washing my damn skillet.... Doesn't matter how strong or conditioned you think you are, always be aware of the risk for repetitive motion injuries! My last one was elbow pain because I decided to push open doors with my fingertips. Train when you train but be careful about any other regular stresses on your hands.

Here's a bit of the aftermath. 

Edited by wobbler
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Stuck at high 160s 2 hand flask, got 150 2 hand blockbuster though. Pinch block curls, some lighter flask holds and reps. Euro next week. Still bending once a week and light active recovery stuff weekdays (dex balls, extensor bands.)

• Like 1

All significant accomplishments go in the log.

• Like 1

Finished that one 1/4×6 g8 from 90*, with a side of fresh 1/4×6 g8 in BBW then IMPs.

• Like 1