Jump to content
Adam Juncker

This is what I trained for....

Recommended Posts

Adam Juncker    350
Adam Juncker

I've decided to start a log of my grip training. And here it is...

I have been specifically training grip for over a year now and I've lost track of most of my gains. In addition, 2 months ago I tore the collateral ligament on my right middle finger. Right now, the only thing it affects is training with torsion spring grippers and sometimes sledge levering gives me problems.  Nonetheless, I'm going to see through this injury and meet my goals. 

Long term goals: Coc 3 and red nail.

Short term goal: complete a crushed to dust challenge. 

Most of my training, for now, will be left handed only. I'm only incorporating my right hand so long as there is no pain. My left hand is very weak compared to where my right hand was. I've neglected it for far too long and it may end up being the hand I certify on.

So today was not a normal training day so I played around with some stones in my back yard. 

I have a 132#, a 89# and an 83# concrete dumbell (2.5" handle).

Did some stretching and stair running for warmup. 

Carried the 89# around my yard several laps, mostly for the cardio. 

Overhead Pressed the 89# 2x10 reps

Cleaned the 132# 2x7 reps

Carried the 132# (not very far I was pretty wore out) then tried to throw it as far as I could.

Did a few laps with 83# dumbell in one hand and a stone paver in other hand (for balance).

Hands are pretty much raw.

20160917_142328.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adam Juncker    350
Adam Juncker

Monday: grippers - all CCS closes and only closing with left hand

HG150 3 x 10

Coc1F 87#  2 x 7 reps

Ghp 4  91#  2 x 5 reps

Coc 1.5F 97# 2 x 3 reps

Silvis triceratops set ~102# 5 single attempts, got the 1st one, missed the others so I turned them in to negatives.

Silvis ttops ~102# 10 negatives 5 seconds each.

Silvis ttops - buried spring and did 3 negatives.

Sledge levering: 8lb with hand about 1/2 way down handle.

Ulnar deviation 3 x 5

Radial deviation 3 x 5

Pronation 3 x 5 [left wrist did not like this so I moved up handle]

Supination 3 x 5

 

Not sure what to think about my wrist hurting when I pronate it. I may add in some very light band/rope work later in the week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adam Juncker    350
Adam Juncker

Tuesday morning:

1.5 hours of arm wrestling table time. Only 4 guys showed up since it was last minute practice but it was good. Got some strap work in, thumb pad is still numb.

One of the guys brought in an anvil. All we had was a bathroom scale and it showed the anvil at 98lbs. It's a very old cast iron anvil. I managed to get it off the ground for about 5 seconds with my left hand. Right hand wasn't feeling it.

Hopefully in the future I can get a better scale and a video of me lifting it to lockout. This is the first time I have tried an anvil. Would love to try a farmers walk with it. 

I couldn't get a grip on it with my hand on the more narrow section, hand to grip pretty high. 

 

20160920_112902.jpg

20160920_113657.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chez    3,156
Chez

Good luck in achieving your goals. Look forward to following the progress

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adam Juncker    350
Adam Juncker
2 hours ago, Chez said:

Good luck in achieving your goals. Look forward to following the progress

Thanks for the encouragement. I've been in a rut while my right hand heals. I notice you seem to encourage everyone. It is humbling to see a world class gripster spur on a new guy. I'll remember your character when I get to the top.

Edited by Adam Juncker
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adam Juncker    350
Adam Juncker

Still pumped about armwrestling this morning I decided to try a bend tonight  at work. I had some 1/4" square, some chalk, but no pads. So I cut the palms out of some old leather gloves. 

The piece was 11 inches when I started and decided to see if I could kink it before cutting it down. I was able to kink and crush it unbraced for the first bend, but I had to brace bend to get the loops and the twist. The other bends just sort of happened. Wasn't planning initially to scroll(?) 

I've never done anything like this before and was a little weary about my right hand. I changed my grip and had 0 pain in the knuckle that is injured. Lots of pain in my palms though. 

20160920_221110.jpg

20160920_221038.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chez    3,156
Chez
9 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

Thanks for the encouragement. I've been in a rut while my right hand heals. I notice you seem to encourage everyone. It is humbling to see a world class gripster spur on a new guy. I'll remember your character when I get to the top.

haha. I don't encourage everyone but for the other people I follow my mom's advice "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." I appreciate your kind words. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adam Juncker    350
Adam Juncker

Wednesday: grippers only. Everything else is too sore from armwrestling yesterday.

All CCS closes 

Warmup: hg150 3 x 10

Coc1F #87 3 x 5

Can't see the reps well enough since it is filed, and I didn't feel the close so did an extra set. 

Coc 1.5 #90 2 x 5

Coc 1.5F #97 2 x 3

Second set I had to brace the reps. 

Ghp 4 #91 1 x 5 

More or less because I was not happy with the 1.5F closes

Coc2 #107 10 CCS attempts turned in to negatives. Then rested and did 10 more negs.

Coc 1.5F #97 forced closes and holds 5 seconds each.

I was watching my 3 sweet children today so I was pretty distracted and fairly worn out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adam Juncker    350
Adam Juncker

Friday 9 23 16

body weight 210 lbs.

Cannon curls: 83 x 10, 97 x 5, 113 x 5, 103 x 5 x 2

HM shallow hub:

25 lbs x 10 secs x 5 r & l,

30 x 5 secs x 5 r & l,

32.5 x 5 secs x 5 r & l

HM TTK:

10 x 10, 12.5 x 10, 16 x 10

Pull-ups: 3 x 5

Close grip Chinups on fat grips: 

3 x 5 

 

Edited by Adam Juncker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adam Juncker    350
Adam Juncker

Saturday 9 24 16

Wrist health: rope w/ light resistance band

Ulnar deviation 2 x 100 r & l

Pronation 2 x 100 r & l

Supination 2 x 100 r & l

Flexion (4" roller) 3 x 100 r & l 

If I could only do one workout for the reSt of my life, it would be wrist flexion... for some reason...

This is just a maintenance kind of workout to get good blood flow and a nice pump. I'm gonna do some armwrestling today after work so hopefully this will have my joints and connective tissue ready.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adam Juncker    350
Adam Juncker

Sunday 9 25 16

After work I did about 1.5 hours of arm wrestling. Mostly speed drills using the WAL start, which I find very annoying. A puller that knows what he is doing, combined with a ref that doesn't can make all the difference in the world on the start and grip.

I was the only 198er that showed up, everyone there was 176 or less, so I had a some fun. 

Gotta get some stuff done around the house today after work so I may not even get in any active recovery after work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adam Juncker    350
Adam Juncker

Monday night I went home after work and felt like death. I had fever and just wanted to sleep... and boy did I. Luckily I scheduled Tuesday off from work for a doctor's appointment about my hand...

Tuesdays Dr. Appointment:

So the only option to repair the ligament tear in my right hand is surgery, 6 weeks of recovery, and physical therapy after that. 

It all comes down to how badly I want to reach my goals. Right now I can train almost every part of grip except for grippers and wide pinch.  Im not sure if i can burden my family with the expense of the surgery combined with the lost pay just for a hobby. I can live with a little pain, and I've invested too much into this sport to just give up. So I've got some decisions to make.

As far as training this week, I still feel pretty puny from Mondays fever, hopefully I will feel better by the weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul Markowski    141
Paul Markowski
On 9/17/2016 at 9:48 PM, Adam Juncker said:

I've decided to start a log of my grip training. And here it is...

I have been specifically training grip for over a year now and I've lost track of most of my gains. In addition, 2 months ago I tore the collateral ligament on my right middle finger. Right now, the only thing it affects is training with torsion spring grippers and sometimes sledge levering gives me problems.  Nonetheless, I'm going to see through this injury and meet my goals. 

Long term goals: Coc 3 and red nail.

Short term goal: complete a crushed to dust challenge. 

Most of my training, for now, will be left handed only. I'm only incorporating my right hand so long as there is no pain. My left hand is very weak compared to where my right hand was. I've neglected it for far too long and it may end up being the hand I certify on.

So today was not a normal training day so I played around with some stones in my back yard. 

I have a 132#, a 89# and an 83# concrete dumbell (2.5" handle).

Did some stretching and stair running for warmup. 

Carried the 89# around my yard several laps, mostly for the cardio. 

Overhead Pressed the 89# 2x10 reps

Cleaned the 132# 2x7 reps

Carried the 132# (not very far I was pretty wore out) then tried to throw it as far as I could.

Did a few laps with 83# dumbell in one hand and a stone paver in other hand (for balance).

Hands are pretty much raw.

20160917_142328.jpg

Adam:

I love that radical. old-time looking dumbell!  Concrete?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adam Juncker    350
Adam Juncker
1 hour ago, Paul Markowski said:

Adam:

I love that radical. old-time looking dumbell!  Concrete?

Yeh I used 2.5" tubing for the handle, welded supports to it, and used 5lb protein powder containers as the mold for the concrete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul Markowski    141
Paul Markowski

Awesome job!  Reminds me of the early innovators like Paul Anderson who lifted 45 gallon barrels filled with concrete for his squats.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adam Juncker    350
Adam Juncker

Benders, please check this video and critique my bends. 

 I have not made or uploaded a video to YouTube for a long time. Sorry for my incompetence.

Today I bent several IM blue nails and 4 pieces of 5/16 X 7" CRS in single IMP's. 

To me this is great because I have not done any bending in about 3 months because of my right hand. Today's bends produced no pain (other than the regular usual pain). 

Also, please critique these bends. I'm still working on technique, but I believe I'm doing things safely(?) I'm keeping my forearms and elbows high, wrists in the pistol grip. The position feels very natural and strong so I hope it is good - old muscle memory has taken over.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adam Juncker    350
Adam Juncker

Here are the rest of today's bends. All DO btw.

20160929_190408.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Sharkey    1,246
Mike Sharkey

Personally, I think your elbows are a bit high.  There's no leverage to be gained by chicken winging it.  The kink position looks very high under your chin, which is good, but the steel comes a bit far away from your body when you apply force, which is bad.  Try to find the grove where your neck meets your chest.  EJ even tucks his head down to keep the steel in place.  After the kink the more you can keep your hands in front of your body, the more power you can generate. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chez    3,156
Chez

Strong blue nail bend. You made quick work of that!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adam Juncker    350
Adam Juncker
48 minutes ago, Mike Sharkey said:

Personally, I think your elbows are a bit high.  There's no leverage to be gained by chicken winging it.  The kink position looks very high under your chin, which is good, but the steel comes a bit far away from your body when you apply force, which is bad.  Try to find the grove where your neck meets your chest.  EJ even tucks his head down to keep the steel in place.  After the kink the more you can keep your hands in front of your body, the more power you can generate. 

Thanks, I was consciously exaggerating my elbow height in anticipation of being dinged for being too low. 

I will work on keeping the steel close to the body during the kink. Now that you mention it EJ does tuck the chin pretty hard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adam Juncker    350
Adam Juncker
43 minutes ago, Chez said:

Strong blue nail bend. You made quick work of that!

Thanks bruh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adam Juncker    350
Adam Juncker

Friday 9 30 16

Bodyweight 201

Pull ups: 5 x 5 

Bicep cannon curls:

80 x 10, 5, 3 - did these as slow as possible 

HM TTK:

10 x 10 x 2

12.5 x 10 x 2

13.5 x 10 x 2

16 X 10 

HM shallow hub: R & L

25 x 7 secs x 5  

30 x 5 secs x 5  

32.5 x 5 secs x 5  

36 x 5 secs x 3

PR! 39 x 5 secs x 1 

Dumbell palm curls:

40lb x 5 x 3

Grippers: MMS R & L

Coc 1F #87 x 3

Coc 1.5F #97  x 3

Coc 2 # 107 x 2

RB260N #115 x 1

Really glad I was able to do these with out pain in my right hand. CCS in the right hand gives a little pain, I guess because of the range of motion. MMS closes were not painful and right hand felt strong despite not closing grippers with it in 3 months.

Edited by Adam Juncker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adam Juncker    350
Adam Juncker

Sunday 10 2 16

2 hours of arm wrestling. We had a larger group than normal so it was a good practice. Armwrestling has been derailing my grip training lately. I haven't done much thick bar and I'm telling myself that I'm substituting armwrestling for thick bar.

We played around with that Anvil some more.  Got it to lockout by the horn with both hands this time. Also tried to 2hp it by the table (~3.75" wide). I got it to lockout with my pinkies tucked under my hand. Got it to hover with my pinkie and ring tucked. I'll get it next time. 

Resized_20160922_095632.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adam Juncker    350
Adam Juncker

Tuesday 10 4 16

Grippers both hands.

CCS closes:

Coc 1F #87  x 5 

Ghp 4 #91 x 5

Coc 1.5F #97 x 3

Coc 2 #107   3 misses left, solid closes right.

Strap holds: at least 5 seconds but to failure

Coc 2 #107 x 5 

Ghp 5 #110 x 5

RB260N #115 x 6

Coc 2F #120 x 5

Did a few MMS attempts on these grippers. Right hand feels surprisingly good despite not using grippers for several months. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×