Kc's Bending Log

KRC

Wednesday-
Wrist Wrench - PR attempt 61.4
Braced Bend - 1/2" x 19" in 1:28
Braced Snap - 3x8"x15" in 5:11 HR156

Technically a .9lb PR on the WW 🤷🏻‍♂️ My short fingers will forever haunt me with this lift, but I will get stronger on it.  1lb per cycle is a few pounds per year which I'll take.  

I think I'm pacing my snaps too much.  Whenever I just let it rip the bar snaps within a minute.  I'm in better shape now than when I was in 2018, by a lot, and i need to let loose and not worry about the gas tank.

• Like 2

Thursday
AM - 2.5 mile run
PM - Pull Ups - 8/8/7/7 -50lb band
Push Ups - 3x12 @ 20lbs
KB Swings - 3x10 @ 44lbs

Friday
AM - 2 mile run
KB Swings- 3x12 @ 44lbs

Saturday -
Braced Bend - 1/2"x18" in 3:10
Braced Snap - 3/8"x14.5" in 3:39 HR150

• Like 2

Monday
3.7 mile run, KB Swings- 3x6 @ 53lbs

Tuesday
AM - 5k run, KB Swings -3x8@ 53lbs
PM - Pull Ups - 8/8/7/7 - 50lb band
Push Ups - 3x15

Wednesday-
Wrist Wrench - 3x5 @ 41.25lbs
Braced Snap - 3/8"x14" in 4:38 HR156
Braced Bend - 10mmx9.5"

Tried out a 190k David Horne 9.5" bar using kink between the legs method for the first time.  Once it kinked on the second attempt it was easy.  Need to tinker with hand placement and wrist action. 

Don, its madness that you're bending shorter than this, at 1/2" diameter, using this method.

• Like 1

Nice training Kevin! You will get the hang of the leg crush. Once you get it down and figure out what feels good for you, it is a very powerful position. 

• Like 1

Thursday
AM - 2.5 mile run
KB Swings - 3x10 @ 53lbs

Friday
AM - 2 mile run
KB Swings- 3x12 @ 53lbs

Saturday -
Wrist Wrench - 3x6 @ 41.25
Braced Snap - 3/8"x13.5" in 3:26 HR156

That's a snap PR for length at this diameter. The fact that my HR hasnt gone above 156 tells me I can still increase intensity and cadence in the snaps.

Super pumped for Steel Shredder 7. Cannot wait to get the steel and get going with it.

• Like 2

Monday
4 mile run

Tuesday
3.5 mile run
KB Swings - 3x14 @53lbs

Wednesday-
Wrist Wrench - 3x7 @41.25lbs
Braced Bend - 9/16"x24" in 2:10
Braced Snap - 3/8"x13" in 2:39 HR150
Braced Snap - 6" G5 in 7:45 lying on my back

I really went for the 3/8" bar snap and set a PR but didnt even hit the same HR as last time 🤷🏻‍♂️

This was my first short bar snap attempt and boy was it awkward. My HR was barely elevated but I was drenched in sweat which tells me I need to work on breathing and modulating tense/release. Let alone the actual snapping technique which seems to completely escape me at the moment lol.

Also a PR on the 9/16" bar. Only tried one of these bars once before and couldnt even kink it then.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, KRC said:

Monday
4 mile run

Tuesday
3.5 mile run
KB Swings - 3x14 @53lbs

Wednesday-
Wrist Wrench - 3x7 @41.25lbs
Braced Bend - 9/16"x24" in 2:10
Braced Snap - 3/8"x13" in 2:39 HR150
Braced Snap - 6" G5 in 7:45 lying on my back

I really went for the 3/8" bar snap and set a PR but didnt even hit the same HR as last time 🤷🏻‍♂️

This was my first short bar snap attempt and boy was it awkward. My HR was barely elevated but I was drenched in sweat which tells me I need to work on breathing and modulating tense/release. Let alone the actual snapping technique which seems to completely escape me at the moment lol.

Also a PR on the 9/16" bar. Only tried one of these bars once before and couldnt even kink it then.

The short snaps definitely have a different feel. You will get accustomed to it. Nice job snapping.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KRC said:

Monday
4 mile run

Impressive man.  I never ran 4 miles at 38 years old (nor 28...nor 18 actually).

• Haha 1

If you had told me 3 months ago I would be running like this, I would have bitten into my cheeseburger, taken another drag, and laughed.

It turns out Jiu-Jitsu kept my mental health in balance and without that, due to quarantine, I needed to do something to stay sane.  Running is the shittiest, suckiest thing I could think of so, here we are haha.  

Longest I've ever run in my life was 5 miles at 19 years old as part of a company run on the last day of Marine officer training.  I blew out my knee so bad during that run that I later got discharged, classed as a "disability". 4.5 miles scheduled this Sunday and 5 the following week 💪💪 

And I'm doubling down.  I have obscenely long races booked through the rest of the season.  Well see how the body holds up!  

Glad to see you bending man.  

• Like 2

Thursday
5k run
KB Swings - 3x6 @62lbs
Very hot, sunny, and muggy

Friday
1.5 mile run - fast
KB Swings- 3x8 @62lbs

Saturday -
Wrist Wrench - 3x8 @41.25
Braced Bend - 9/16"x22.5" in 3:34
Braced Snap - 3/8"x12.5" in 3:15 HR156
Braced Snap - 6" Traingle G5

Established a baseline for SS7, and will keep working technique to bring it down.  Never tried rebar but the comp bar is longer so I'll call it even for these purposes.  

• Like 3

On 6/3/2020 at 7:13 PM, KRC said:

If you had told me 3 months ago I would be running like this, I would have bitten into my cheeseburger, taken another drag, and laughed.

It turns out Jiu-Jitsu kept my mental health in balance and without that, due to quarantine, I needed to do something to stay sane.  Running is the shittiest, suckiest thing I could think of so, here we are haha.  

Longest I've ever run in my life was 5 miles at 19 years old as part of a company run on the last day of Marine officer training.  I blew out my knee so bad during that run that I later got discharged, classed as a "disability". 4.5 miles scheduled this Sunday and 5 the following week 💪💪 

And I'm doubling down.  I have obscenely long races booked through the rest of the season.  Well see how the body holds up!  

Glad to see you bending man.  

That's awesome to hear Kevin! BJJ is without a doubt my favorite activity I've ever participated in and it was a huge shaping force in my twenties. I knew lots of guys who quit smoking or drinking or otherwise stayed out of trouble because of jiujitsu. Great to see you logging again. I really dig the way your training is set up. Good luck on your races!

• Like 1

Monday
4.6 mile trail run with three of my Jiu-Jitsu buddies

Tuesday
4 mile run
KB Swings - 3x10 @62lbs

Wednesday-
Wrist Wrench - 3x9 @41.25lbs
Braced Bend - 9/16"x21.5" in 11:05
Braced Snap - 3/8"x12" in 8:08
Braced Snap - 6" Triangle G5

Stressful day at work, chained to my home desk all day including a skipped lunch, and trying that kind of bending with 23 hours since my last meal made for a rough workout.

Wont make this mistake again.

• Like 2

On 6/8/2020 at 9:45 PM, KRC said:

Thanks Andrew, much appreciated!  Any thoughts to getting back on the mat?  

Well I'm pretty invested in strongman right now as I can easily train at home. I was planning to go 2x week in my off season this winter but then I pinched a nerve in my neck at the end of September that derailed all my training plans. And now the pandemic has derailed my competition plans haha. This fall both my kids (6 and 4) will be in school so a return may be possible in the near future but I suspect their lives will get busier too. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Andrew Dube said:

Well I'm pretty invested in strongman right now as I can easily train at home. I was planning to go 2x week in my off season this winter but then I pinched a nerve in my neck at the end of September that derailed all my training plans. And now the pandemic has derailed my competition plans haha. This fall both my kids (6 and 4) will be in school so a return may be possible in the near future but I suspect their lives will get busier too. 

Haha, funny how those things happen. Sorry to hear about the neck, I'm still dealing with a related injury from 2 years ago.  Your training for strongman looks really great, hope that goes well until your eventual return to rolling ;)

• Like 1

Thursday
5k run
KB Swings - 3x12 @62lbs

Friday
1mile run - fast (for me - 7:37 pace)
KB Swings- 3x14 @62lbs

Saturday -
Wrist Wrench - 3x10 @41.25
Braced Snap - DH 10mmx12" S275 rated 143k 

Hands were still really beat up from Wednesday so I called it this morning after the 12"x10mm took longer than planned due to being a tad off center.  

v5hJmAJ.jpg

• Like 2

Did you get your SS7 steel? I received my package from DHWOG yesterday.

1 hour ago, Donc101 said:

Did you get your SS7 steel? I received my package from DHWOG yesterday.

Not yet. Didnt even know it had shipped!

• Like 1

Monday
5 mile run
KB Swings- 3x16 @62lbs

Tuesday
4 mile run
KB Swings -3x6 @71lbs

Off from bending entirely this week and only doing a wrist wrench PR attempt Saturday. Taper into july 4th race.

Will do a first attempt SS7 the following Saturday, assuming the steel arrives by then.  

Thursday
5k run
KB Swings- 3x8 @71lbs

Friday
2 mile run (5k race pace)
KB Swings- 3x10 @71lbs

Saturday
Wrist Wrench - up to 62.2 (PR)

.8lb PR on the Wrist Wrench. 

4.5 mile run in the woods with the Jiu Jitsu guys tomorrow to start the last training week before dropping Kettlebells and tapering the runs before the race on the 4th.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tuesday 6/23
3.5 mile run
KB Swings - 3x12@71lbs

Wednesday
2 mile run
KB Swings - 3x14 @71lbs

Thursday
5k run
KB Swings - 3x16 @71lbs

Friday
2.5 mile run
KB Swings - 3x18 @71lbs

Monday 6/29
SS7 (open league) baseline using comp steel set at 6:27. I felt surprisingly good with both the rebar and the bolt. I'm already thinking about technique adjustments to lower the time.  Both felt ready to go at least a minute before they did.

Bend starts at 5:26. Sorry about the horizontal video.

https://youtu.be/vVbI30DcCVo

All runs were easy pace. No kettlebells this week just a couple really light recovery runs and then TT sometime between Thursday and Saturday. Looking forward to getting after this!

• Like 3

5k time trial was a total failure.  Got some crazy ideas about pace/total time and went out way, way too fast. HR spiked to 190 within the first few minutes and it was just a mess.   Had to stop running a half mile from the end and walked the rest of the way (I dont think that's ever happened to me).

Lesson learned: pick a reasonable goal pace and stick to it!

Hot dogs and beers and relaxation AMAP this weekend.  10k training starts next week.  Will be doing more SS7 attempts too.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KRC said:

5k time trial was a total failure. 

Except that it wasn't.  A lesson learned has inherent value.

Additionally, you manned up and got up to plate.  Countless others give up before even taking a swing (to use consistent metaphors).

Finally, you shared your experience honestly.  Well done.

• Like 3