Kc's Bending Log

KRC

On 12/31/2017 at 7:13 PM, Donc101 said:

I am excited to see you hit your goals this next year man!

Thanks Don! What's on your list for the year?

12 hours ago, KRC said:

Thanks Don! What's on your list for the year?

I am sticking with basically doing all the major types of bending and getting better with each.  I started doing some pads touching bends and want to get the red nail in IMP with pads touching. 

• Like 2

Unbraced Bending: 6.5" Drill Rod
1/3 IMPs: 1x1/4", 1x17/64" 
1/2 IMPs: 5x9/32" 

OHP: 3x8 @ 85

Hammers
Rot - 3x10 @ 4"
Rad - 3x10 @ 4.5"
Uln - 3x10 @ 7"

Rowing: 29:45 UT2 2:29.9p 5953m 19r d3 144HR

Lumbar was tight which made rowing awkward, otherwise all good today.  

Rowing: 14:45 UT1 2:19.5 3171m 21r d3 138HR

Bi's/Tri's: 3x8 @ 55

Wrist Wrench: 3x8 @ 37.5

Braced Snap: 3/8" x 15.25" done in 2:51 HR156

Rowing felt amazing.  HR was lower than I was expecting, so may drop pace by a second next UT1 session.  Bending felt good too.  

• Like 1

1/3 IMPs: 1x1/4", 1x17/64", 1x9/32" (6 hits)

Crush - 7" x 9/32" stainless in IMP's from 4" to under 2" in 5 hits.  

From here I'll add a 9/32" bar each session until I bend 5 per session, and after that, phase in the 19/64".  Slowly getting my strength back.  

OHP: 3x6 @ 95

Hammers
Rot - 3x6 @ 4.5"
Rad - 3x6 @ 4.5"
Uln - 3x6 @ 7.5"

Rowing: 31:15 UT2 2:28.8 6300m 17r d3 HR132

Rowing was amazing, big PR's all around.  Distance, total time, pace for this training band, HR, and stroke rate.  Very, very pleased, especially with the stroke rate which was the focus for this session.  Starting out in UT2 I couldn't even go 12 minutes straight and definite not at less than 22 SPM.  Gains are coming quickly, and I want to maximize them so I'll drop the pace another half second next session if I'm still feeling good.  

• Like 1

Rowing: 16:30 UT1 2:17.9 3588m 21r d3 150HR

Goal pace was 2:19, so pleased with this even if my back was sore throughout.   Maybe take another half second off UT1 pace next time.  

Braced Bending:
1x1/2" @ 24" warm up
1x5/8" @ 35" in 53 seconds

Bi's/Tri's: 3x6 @ 60

Wrist Wrench: 3x6 @ 38.75

1/3 IMPs: 1x1/4", 1x17/64", 2x9/32" (second one done in 20 seconds)

Out of 9/32" DR and I just spent a small fortune on braced stock, so I'm gonna use my 1/4" CRS and SS Square for my work sets which I find to be basically equivalent to 9/32" bars.  

OHP: 3x5 @ 100

Wrist Wrench: 3x5 @ 40

Rowing: 32:00 UT2 2:27.8 6494m 17r df110 144HR

Rowing: 18:15 UT1 3981m 2:17.5 21r df118 HR150

Need to stop fiddling with the drag factor and just leave it where it is.  Changing it screws up my rhythm.  

Bi's/Tri's: 3x5 @ 65

Hammers
Rot - 3x6 @ 5"
Rad - 3x6 @ 4.5"
Uln - 3x6 @ 8"

Braced Snap: 3/8" x 14.5" done in 2:43 HR144

Got everything done that I was supposed to rowing and bending, but it felt like hell while it was going on.  I think mainly because something is wrong in my forearm.  I tweaked it bad doing what ended up being an iso braced bend on that 9/16" bar Sunday.  It wasn't kinked enough and I tried to sweep it a particular way and it felt like my lower forearm was on fire for a while after.  Skipped the hammers for that arm today, and going to NSAID, MFR and ice for a while.  Need this to not be a problem anymore as pretty much everything I'm doing is wrist/forearm-centric.  

Rowing: 18:15 UT1 3981m 2:17.5 21r df118 HR150

Need to stop fiddling with the drag factor and just leave it where it is.  Changing it screws up my rhythm.  

Bi's/Tri's: 3x5 @ 65

Hammers
Rot - 3x6 @ 5"
Rad - 3x6 @ 4.5"
Uln - 3x6 @ 8"

Braced Snap: 3/8" x 14.5" done in 2:43 HR144

Got everything done that I was supposed to rowing and bending, but it felt like hell while it was going on.  I think mainly because something is wrong in my forearm.  I tweaked it bad doing what ended up being an iso braced bend on that 9/16" bar Sunday.  It wasn't kinked enough and I tried to sweep it a particular way and it felt like my lower forearm was on fire for a while after.  Skipped the hammers for that arm today, and going to NSAID, MFR and ice for a while.  Need this to not be a problem anymore as pretty much everything I'm doing is wrist/forearm-centric.  

Also, I bought the Goliath bar (and a "baby Goliath" - .5"x1.25"x48") and they arrived today.  They look beastly.  Never bent flat bar before, will give these a shot on a day I'm feeling good.  

• Like 1

Unbraced Bending: in 1/3 IMP's at 6.5" length
Drill Rod - 1x1/4", 1x17/64" 
Square - 2x1/4" CRS, 1x1/4 Stainless

OHP: 3x5 @ 105

Wrist Wrench: 41.25

The stainless bend took about 7 minutes.  For comparison, the CRS bend took 9 seconds.  Was really tough and reaggravated my wrist/forearm problem, that I specifically took the previous 3 days off to address.  Thankfully not as badly as the initial injury.  More therapy.  

Rowing: 10:52 UT2 2222m 2:26.8p 17r d3 HRn/a

Something is wrong with my PM5 monitor and I'm not happy.  It froze 11 minutes into a 33 minute workout and I tried to keep rowing but wihtout the realtime data, it wasn't working.  Gonna call concept 2 and see if there are known fixes.  

Braced Bending: HRS
1/2" x 24"
5/8" x 34.25" done in 1:27 (took a full minute to get the last quarter inch)
Played with the 1.25" x 5" x 48" rectangle bar but it was so awkward I only wobbled it.  Under the leg and over the leg kinking isn't an option for me with my trex arms so it's knee style and my flexibility needs a lot of work.  I just couldn't apply proper power in that cramped position.  If I can kink it I know I can bend it fully.  

Rowing: 3x3:30 AT intervals = 2:09.4 average pace 23r 806 average meters d3 average HR160 

Bailed on hammers and curls as it aggravate the injury.  

Need to up the intensity on the steady state (i.e. UT2 and UT1) for future sessions/training blocks.  Also need to not do braced bending with a knee kink before rowing intervals.  

• Like 1

I'm reading the writing on the wall and taking an unplanned week (or more) off.  Forearm is screaming. Hurts to open doors or even move it around. I want to be at least able to compete in the grip comp in April and hopefully letting this heal now won't compromise that possibility.  

Another update coming soon to the comp thread.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KRC said:

I'm reading the writing on the wall and taking an unplanned week (or more) off.  Forearm is screaming. Hurts to open doors or even move it around. I want to be at least able to compete in the grip comp in April and hopefully letting this heal now won't compromise that possibility.  

Another update coming soon to the comp thread.  

Good luck healing up.  Injuries suck so much and are so frustrating.  I tweaked my low back and had to take it easy for a bit but I am back to 90% this week. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

Good luck healing up.  Injuries suck so much and are so frustrating.  I tweaked my low back and had to take it easy for a bit but I am back to 90% this week. 

Thanks man.  Good to hear you're on the mend.  Hoping you can come out!!

• Like 1

Was rating some steel in the garage and went for a wrist wrench PR and hit 64.3, old PR is 60.5.  As horrible as I am at this lift, I like training it.  Will keep this around if still healthy.  

• Like 1

Did a 2000m test today, and am extremely happy.  Previous PR was 8:24.4, today's was 8:05.9

20180123_160824.jpg

Happiest mainly because of the tight grouping throughout the splits, and how they went up/down for each 500.  HR was 180 at the end.  The first 1000m was also a PR for me for that distance, previous best was 4:04 and change, today 4:01.9.  Sure I can get well under 4:00 for that in a dedicated effort (will test it in March, along with my regular end of the cycle 2k test).   

A lot to build on and good motivation to get back on the horse (though I will be baby-ing the right arm for a while).  

• Like 1

Braced Bending:
1 x 1/2"x24" warm up
1 x 5/8"x34.5" in 1:06
isos on goliath jr. and wonder bar jr (3/8"x2"x36")

Braced Snap
1 x 7/16" x 20.5" in 5:24

I did a lot of iso's but this was a hard workout for only completing three bends, haha.  This comp is going to be crazy.  I expect a sizeable food/drink tab and significant sleeping for all participants, post-comp.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KRC said:

Braced Bending:
1 x 1/2"x24" warm up
1 x 5/8"x34.5" in 1:06
isos on goliath jr. and wonder bar jr (3/8"x2"x36")

Braced Snap
1 x 7/16" x 20.5" in 5:24

I did a lot of iso's but this was a hard workout for only completing three bends, haha.  This comp is going to be crazy.  I expect a sizeable food/drink tab and significant sleeping for all participants, post-comp.  

It's amazing the kind of effort/work that goes into a braced longbar bending session ... even if only a few bends.  Those are some of the best!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Buccos1 said:

It's amazing the kind of effort/work that goes into a braced longbar bending session ... even if only a few bends.  Those are some of the best!

Totally agreed.  The thicker snap bar and especially the isos really wiped me out. 

I know of no other type of training so demanding and also no other training that is as rewarding as when a bar youre working on finally gives.  Love it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KRC said:

Totally agreed.  The thicker snap bar and especially the isos really wiped me out. 

I know of no other type of training so demanding and also no other training that is as rewarding as when a bar youre working on finally gives.  Love it!

I've been playing around with the 3/8" bars for snapping the past few weeks and haven't been able to get it, prior to "exhaustion."  Was beginning to think either I have some mutant steel, I'm too out-of-shape, or it might not have been "meant to be."  Last night, I tried another bar, and after 5 minutes, took a break.  5 more minutes, another break.  Tried a third time, and it finally broke.  First one.  LOL  I was tanked afterwards.  Definitely a unique type of workout that combines a lot of elements.  In all these years of bending, I had never tried anything like it either.  

• Like 2

Yeah snapping is awesome (/terrible)! Never heard of it before David Hornes competition and I plan on keeping this as a staple of my training indefinitely.  

Yesterday my HR got up to the same rate as the 2000m rowing test I did a few days earlier l, ans in 3 fewer minutes, which is saying something.  

When I was training for his competition last year never having done it before, progress came very, very quickly.  

One more thing i like to do that has paid off is stick to a certain cadence while snapping.  I generally stay between 4-6 full cycles (i.e. opening on my hip and closing between my legs = 1 cycle) per minute.  Or, once every 10 seconds or one every 15 seconds. It allows me to stay focused and also have a second or two to prepare for the next hit for the harder attempts.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been logging but have been training.  

Bent a 5/8" x 33.5" round in 1:15 and snapped a 19.5" x 7/16" round in 5:07 tonight.  

Also started BJJ again for the first time in probably 9 years.  A lot going on for me right now, and I need a more social and cathartic outlet than lifting alone in my garage right now.  There's a great gym about halfway between my house and my new job (starting in March) that's the perfect mix of small gym vibe, with a good spread of belts and experience levels.  

Feeling good. 

• Like 3

BJJ 2x last week - turns out it takes a while to recover over 35.  Shooting for 3x a month until I can recover enough for 4x.  

Bent a 32.5" x 5/8" bar in 1:23 yesterday fairly easily, which is a PR.  Would have gotten it sooner but hands kept slipping on the crush - need to wrap the bar each time for tighter warps, not just slide it on week to week. 

Tried to snap a 7/16" x 18.5" but completely failed. Couldn't even open the bar 45 degrees, whereas I normally open it well past 90 for snapping.  First I thought it was a harder than usual bar but remembered that I did physical therapy for the first time since 2012 about an hour before training, mainly on my hips, shoulders, and upper back.  Tiring out all those tiny stabilizer muscles really takes a toll apparently.  

Will hit the snap bar again next week, and time my training around PT.  

Trying to not be dramatic here, but life is throwing everything it has at me right now.  

in the last month my engagement got called off, there was a death in the family, my house got robbed with over $40k in uncovered losses (including my bench grinder, hence no bending workout this week), and I got in a car accident yesterday.  Thankfully no one (including my dog who was home at the time of the robbery) was harmed amidst all of this.  

I don't know which end is up at the moment.  The home situation is further complicated by the fact that I'm in a land dispute with the seller (and have been since the day we closed two years ago), and we may not be able to sell the house.  

Still going to BJJ and I feel like I would explode if I didn't.  I have no idea what the next 6 months (or more) will be like and for someone who has detailed plans laid out at least as far, this is a difficult time.  

• Sad 1