Kc's Bending Log

KRC

One of the longest days of my short career today, felt absolutely awful prior to training.  

SGHP - up to 1x3 @ 135
OHP - 3x5 @ 115

Bailed on the SGHP at the beginning of the second set as I felt my back going.  I also need to buy straps (dirty word on this forum :))for this lift especially, but also for barbell rows. 

I'm feeling really run down lately and I hope the 4 days rest before my PR attempt next Thursday are enough.  

Unbraced

2/6 IMP's: 1/4" CRS & 17/64" DR
3/6 IMP's: 9/32" DR 
4/6 IMP's: 19/64" DR x3 
Single IMP's: Red Nail (1:40 PR)

Partials - crush pads

Crush - 7" Shiny - from 2.75" to 2.25" (.5" in one hit, no movement in two other hits from 2.25" ... )

Braced

24x1/2"
36x5/8"
48x3/4" (fail)

Braced workout was planned for Saturday but stupidly couldn't help myself.  Got the 3/4" bar to 90 degrees but just ran out of gas.  Pleased with the red bend.  Couldn't even kink it in IMP's my first try late last year.  I also would have had it under a minute but my hand slipped on my third and what would have been final crush attempt.  Anyway, now just a matter of time and taking the bands off.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KRC said:

Unbraced

2/6 IMP's: 1/4" CRS & 17/64" DR
3/6 IMP's: 9/32" DR 
4/6 IMP's: 19/64" DR x3 
Single IMP's: Red Nail (1:40 PR)

Partials - crush pads

Crush - 7" Shiny - from 2.75" to 2.25" (.5" in one hit, no movement in two other hits from 2.25" ... )

Braced

24x1/2"
36x5/8"
48x3/4" (fail)

Braced workout was planned for Saturday but stupidly couldn't help myself.  Got the 3/4" bar to 90 degrees but just ran out of gas.  Pleased with the red bend.  Couldn't even kink it in IMP's my first try late last year.  I also would have had it under a minute but my hand slipped on my third and what would have been final crush attempt.  Anyway, now just a matter of time and taking the bands off.  

Niiiiiice!  Gonna be a cake walk soon enough. :) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, anwnate said:

Niiiiiice!  Gonna be a cake walk soon enough. :) 

Indeed, thanks brother!

Vid here

OHP - 3x10 @ 75
BBR - 3x5 @ 135

Resting completely until Thursday's 180kg and 7.5" Shiny attempt.  If all goes well I'll give the 11/32" DR another crack.  

Bent the 180kg, but I really had to work for it.  Took about 15 minutes total; video cuts off at 12:30 at 2.25" but I got it barely under 2" 3 minutes later.  Also bent the 7.5" Shiny right after in under 5, which I'm pleased with considering what the 180kg took out of me.  It feels like every single hex bar I  bend gets bent on the flat, no idea why.  

I need a new cell phone.  

• Like 1

Also just realized that workout was exactly 1 year since my first bastard bend.  If the bastards are 440 and this is 525-530, I'd say 85-90 pounds added make it a good year.  

Bending

2/6 IMP's: 1/4" CRS, 17/64" DR, and 9/32" DR
Red Nail in 1&4/6 IMPs - Red Nail (2:04)

Partials - in 4/6 IMPs

Kink - 5/16" DR - from straight to 4.75" (3 hits)
Sweep - 5/16" DR - from 5.5" to 3.75"
Crush - 5/16" DR - from 4" to under 2"; N DR - from 4" to under 2"; 7" Shiny - from 2.75" to 2.25"

Can't crush that freaking shiny past 2.25" 

13 minutes ago, KRC said:

Bending...

...Can't crush that freaking shiny past 2.25" 

Yes you can.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, anwnate said:

Yes you can.

Ha, thanks for the encouragement buddy.  Keep moving forward; it will come eventually.  

• 2 weeks later...

Been two weeks since I trained, and the first unplanned break in training since I started two years ago.  Had the worst week of my life in the beginning of April, wasn't sleeping, lost 14lbs in 5 days... everything is more or less ok now, but I just couldn't train.  19/64" bars weren't even wobbling, etc. so I called it, especially given that I had a vacation all week last week. 

Back on it today, with three full cycles leading up to Nate's comp in July.  

Bending

2/6 IMP's: 1/4" CRS, 17/64" DR, and 9/32" DR
21/64" DR in 1&4/6 IMPs - (5:45)

Partials - in 4/6 IMPs

Kink - 5/16" DR - from straight to 5" (3 hits)
Sweep - 5/16" DR - from 5.5" to 4"
Crush - P DR - from 4" to 2"; 7" Shiny - no movement from 3.75" in BBWs

Used folded leather for last 1/8" on the 21/64" and full IMP's for the last 5/8" of the P DR.  21/64" is significantly harder than the red from the sweep and crush, and the P seems to be just slightly easier than the shiny which is perfect for me right now. 

I'm also likely going to be looking at kids in the next 12-24 months, so I'm integrating a lot of lifting into my program now, literally years earlier than planned.  I've seen a lot of people make a lot of progress then disappear after kids, and though I don't plan on that happening to me, I need to get as much as I can without kids now in case I can't keep up when the time comes.  

So, progress and goal bars for the year: 

Bastard - 6.5", 6", 5.5", 5"
Hexabastard - 6.5", 6", 5.5"
Golden Bastard - 6.5", 6", 5.5"
Golden Hex - 8", 7.5", 7"
Edgin - 8", 7.5", 7"
IG Bars - 175, 180, 185, 190, 195, 200

I could probably bend the duke if I can bend an edgin and an IG 200, but I want to get all the crush-heavy bars out of the way first, before moving on to the duke, square, and king.  So the last of that series of hard to crush intermediate bars is the shiny hex which will be the first goal next year, unless I miss a lot of these goals this year.  

Kevin,

Don't worry about kids messing you up.  I have 2 little kids and a 3rd on the way and I have trained more in the last 2 years than I have in a long time.  If you want to train then you will, kids or no kids.  Also though, nothing wrong with going at it hard with the lifting now.  Getting stronger definitely helps the bending.

That Shiny isn't easy to crush down.  I'm getting stuck at about 2.5.

Don

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donc101 said:

Kevin,

Don't worry about kids messing you up.  I have 2 little kids and a 3rd on the way and I have trained more in the last 2 years than I have in a long time.  If you want to train then you will, kids or no kids.  Also though, nothing wrong with going at it hard with the lifting now.  Getting stronger definitely helps the bending.

That Shiny isn't easy to crush down.  I'm getting stuck at about 2.5.

Don

Thanks man, I appreciate the input.  And I don't know how you do it.  My GF has a 3yo half the time here at home, and I'm pretty wiped after she leaves.  

• 2 weeks later...

Training is really off the rails and will be for at least another week.  Got really sick last/this week and have a life-changing job interview on Monday.  Who knows maybe this rest will help me out when I get back.  Plan for now is to start again May 1.  

• 2 weeks later...

Squat: up to 185
Bench: up to 232.5

Really surprised myself with the bench, haven't touched a barbell for bench in over two years, only done weighted push ups and dips on and for the last year or so.  All time high is 255 at 258 bodyweight, so 232.5 at 231.4 bodyweight (as of this morning) is really pleasing and a % of BW PR, lol.  Had more in the squat, but my mechanics are way out of wack sitting in an office all day, so cut it at 185, and will take it slow from now to the comp.  Wanted a baseline to compare to after the comp, and we'll see how this goes.  

Trying something different as a lead up to Nate's comp, 3x/wk more structured and higher volume lifting and bending only 1 day a week, but with 3x red nail and 3x braced bend.  FBBC certs are off the table for a bit, and focus is red nail. Would really like to cert it in front of basically the entire current US bending community, lol.  I think extra overall body strength and power is what I need to move past the bending plateau I'm at right now.  We'll see how this goes.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, KRC said:

Would really like to cert it in front of basically the entire current US bending community, lol. 

Gonna make the day even more memorable.  :rock

Be sure and cross the T's and dot the I's with Ironmind.  Everything needs to be "by the book."

• Like 1

That would be bad ass to cert at the contest!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, anwnate said:

Gonna make the day even more memorable.  :rock

Be sure and cross the T's and dot the I's with Ironmind.  Everything needs to be "by the book."

Yessir! Emailed IM yesterday morning!

13 hours ago, Donc101 said:

That would be bad ass to cert at the contest!

Agreed! Are you coming?

Probably not.  My wife is due in June.  It will be a blast.

2 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Probably not.  My wife is due in June.  It will be a blast.

No worries, and congrats!

• Like 1

Steel Shredder #2 first real attempt today: cut the time at the first place time so far which is Delmar with 5:45 - did 3x4mm oval nails in 5:44.  I don't know why I ordered all the smaller ones I did and I'm going to order about 100 of the oval nails tonight.  Would love to keep that Top 5 placing for the overall comp :rock

Whoops, just looked at the time for Delmar and see it was 7:06.  I think I can probably get 4 that fast now, and will work toward beating it soon.  

• 2 weeks later...

Red Nail under cert conditions in 23 seconds.  (music is fairly loud, sorry)

In hindsight I could have given this another hit but it was a fraction under 2".  

Also bent a 24" x 1/2" and 36" x 5/8" braced.  

Tomorrow starts 2 back to back cycles of smolov jr. for bench and snatch grip high pull as formal 8 week prep for Nate's comp.  Sending video above to IronMind tonight.  Let's do this.  

• Like 3

Oh hell yeah...

red nail time.jpg

• Like 2